The Student Room Group

Offered a different job than applied for

I've had 3 interviews for a position, the last of which involved quite an intense morning of presentations/ tasks, all with and in front of the other final candidate for the position. I have been told that I don't have enough experience for the position I applied for however they have offered me a different role in the company with a lower salary. I was also told that roles within the company frequently change, so there could be chances to go for the same role again. The role I applied for included many travel opportunities, whereas the one I have been offered doesn't include any. I actually have another job offer for a similar position with a travel company I have previously worked with. I'm just not sure what to do, I would have thought after three interviews they would know that my experience wasn't enough?
Original post by eldorado14
...I would have thought after three interviews they would know that my experience wasn't enough?

Correct. That's why you "have been told that I don't have enough experience for the position I applied for". It may have been that your experience on paper (i.e. on your CV) is differed from reality. A CV could say, "Worked on a project to do X", and only by interviewing could they establish whether you had a pivotal role or a relatively minor one.

Although it would be natural to suspect that "bait and switch" tactics may have been at play here (dangle one position in from of you, with every expectation of offering you a different one at the last minute), they might have been genuinely sufficiently impressed that they wanted you within the company - but that they weren't convinced you were yet sufficiently experienced for the original role.

You need to put any irritation with the process behind you and coldly compare what is now on the table with the other job offer you have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending