The Student Room Group

I hate my degree, I don't know what to do

Original post by Anonymous #1
Really sorry for posting this in the relationships section, it's the only way I can appear anonymous.

Okay, so I currently study Biology. I liked Biology in high school and college, I've never really had a burning passion for any subject so I'd always choose the A-levels/degree that was seen as 'respected' and had good job prospects. Since I started in September, I knew since the first week this degree wasn't right for me, I posted on here & talked to family, they all said to just wait it out a few months, I've done just that but I still hate it. I go to lectures only because I have to, I have to stop myself from falling asleep because it's boring to me, I hate the practicals the most which is ironic seeing as I have to do two 3 hour practicals a week.

I've always been very academic/conscientious, I'm used to forcing myself to work even though I hate something so everyday when I come home, I study Biology for an hour, about 4 hours on weekends, and in terms of studying I'm ahead most of my peers (because I panic about failing). Now I'm starting to not bother studying because I have zero interest in this subject, I hate the practicals, I hate having to study everyday something which I don't like, I've TRIED to make myself like it by revising more, waiting a bit more etc but the feelings are still there. Dropping out is not an option for me, I don't know what to do. :confused:

Is there any opportunity at your Uni to swap out? If you’re only in your first year, often you can apply for the next following academic year after taking academic leave with a different degree?
If there’s not much you’re passionate about it could work in your favour to pick another subject rather than sticking it out with something you definitely hate.

Latest

Trending

Trending