The Student Room Group

How to teach presentation skills?

Hi, this is my first post and just wanted to say that I'm a teacher, not a student so hope that is allowed. Recently I have been teaching presentation skills to students but it seems that other students generally find the other presentations boring and just zone out. Would be good to hear from any of you who might have suggestions on other ways of teaching these skills that don't waste other student's time. Thanks
Reply 1
Giving them explicit instructions on how to make something interesting and what makes something boring and then get them to pick certain techniques for each group to try.
Reply 2
Original post by SummerBaby
Giving them explicit instructions on how to make something interesting and what makes something boring and then get them to pick certain techniques for each group to try.

Thanks for your input
Reply 3
Keep the presentations they do short and aim to have some engaging topics. On a presentation skills course I went on I had to give an 5 min presentation to promote my hobby and this worked well. Involve the students in observing different things and in giving constructive feedback. Teach techniques which help to keep the audience interested (eg intriguing opening, asking questions etc) and hone your skills at giving well judged feedback as this too helps engage the class too. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending