The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The parking situation in notts is fine, whoever asked. In first year you can apply for a permit (free) which is always granted, and there are 2 student car parks outside halls. One is a purely student car park which can take about 40 cars, the other is a student/visitor car park which is split over 2 sites and can take nearer 100 cars. Transport into Notts and Loughborough is great as far as public transport goes and is free if you get the campus hopper into Notts, so not many first years have cars cos they arent really needed. In 2nd and 3rd year most students live out. The surrounding villages are where most people live and its easily within cycling distance or walking. For those of us that live slightly further away, we do use cars but theres still ample parking on campus. Obviously we dont have 4th or 5th years yet but it has been suggested that cars will be extremely useful for getting to rotations/call outs etc.
Erm, I'd like to know who wrote this.

I go to the RVC. And yes, I agree, years 3-5 parking is horrendous. Walking is bad, cycling is muddy, and there is limited places to park your bike.

But for goodness sake! Thats not a reason to not go to the RVC? Who on earth put this up?

Very uncalled for and out of order really... I wondered if it would turn into a joke, but nay, it has not :s-smilie:
Reply 22
no, it is not valid reason not to go to the RVC. Like I said RVC has some impressive stuff. The title is blunt so that people will read it, therefore people will know the situation. It's an opinion, my opinion. If I knew then I wouldn't have gone!
Reply 23
I have to agree with Ashmashmash. Yes I'm shocked that there are really bad problems with the parking. What about the people who stay in the halls of residence on the hawkshead campus?
But why on earth would that stop you going to that university!! It is an excellent university, I love the camden campus, I adore the hawkshead campus even more and everything about it ticks the boxes for me. This will not make me change my mind and London is still my number 1 choice.
Emikoo
What about the people who stay in the halls of residence on the hawkshead campus?

the people who live at Hawkshead get parking permits if they have a car!
Reply 25
Hel' in Heaven
the people who live at Hawkshead get parking permits if they have a car!

Thats good. How many rooms do they have at Hawkshead, is it likely most 3rd/4th/5th year students will get accommodation there?
Shockley
Thats good. How many rooms do they have at Hawkshead, is it likely most 3rd/4th/5th year students will get accommodation there?

not at all! a vast majority of people live out, firstly because there isn't room for everyone and also because it can feel quite claustophobic living on site. Not sure exactly how many rooms there are, but probably only around 100 between all the years. The vet nurses have a dedicated residence too.
You have to apply to get in and I'm not really sure how that works but my friends who tried did get a place! I think most people were told they wouldn't have a chance of getting a place and so didn't bother even trying!
anyway, no simple solution really! (but not that big an issue looking at the bigger picture of how amazing it is to be at the RVC :smile: )
I am also at the RVC, and i think that it is irresponsible to have posted the above message. i hate the parking situationa and am very vocal about it, however the above person has not put across a reasoned discussion or any facts at all.

to clarify, there is little onsite accomodation for students, with over 200 BVetMed students a year, there is no way that everyone could live onsite. People tend to live in potters bar itself which is about 3 miles away, so you can cycle/walk. personally it is safer to cycle along the roads than go down the pathway by the railway station, but many do walk in wellies. some people live further afield, hatfield, st albans welyn etc and these people cannot cycle/walk. the university has said that 3rd years and 4th years (not on rotation) cannot park onsite at all unless there are mitigating circumstances (like a broken ankle). there is a bus which runs from potters bar to campus but it only runs to get people in for 9 and leaves at 5pm (there is a lunch time bus at 1 o clock as well i think). the bus costs 50p a journey so £5 a week, which is a lot when you consider that you can put 4/5 people in a normal car and drive in when you want and it costs a lot less. so many students cycle/walk but many also drive and are forced to park on the road/grass verges. the university do not like this (and i dont blame them, it is dangerous and illegal and looks bad for their clients), however there are times when there is little alternative. we all believe that the uni is not addressing our coincerns and as the poster said they dont seem to be addressing them in the future either.

however, im not sure that trying to put people off applying to the RVC is the best way of addressing the problems. yes, it s anightmare and nothing will change until a fatality occurs, but the RVC is (relatively!) easy to get into compared to the other unis so i would urge people not to take this at face value but consider that the bonuses of living in the country and becoming yourlife long ambition of being a vet is worth applying.

sorry for long post guys
Completely agree with it all Hatty.

I emailed the SU asking if they could ask the council if they could buy some gravel and just pour it over the grass verges. That would pretty much sort out the problem: there would be enough non-muddy places to park. Apparently the council wont let them :s-smilie:

And the buses are a bit of a joke... no way I am staying in 9-5 every day... I would go crazy.
yup, and they really don't need to rent those HUGE buses when only about 5 students use them! Better idea would be smaller ones doing more trips in the day..! (and for free would be good too :p: )
Hel' in Heaven
(and for free would be good too :p: )

Exactly. £3000+ per year... and they need our precious change?!
thought this thread could do with reviving !!
is this situation still the same ?
i dont have a car and wont have a car at all during uni which means i will be relying on the transport provided, does it still only get there at 9 and leave at 5 ??
if so.....thats pants
god im never going to choose between bristol & RVC, everytime i make my choice something else pops up to make me re-think everything !!
nightmare !!
laurasaurus
thought this thread could do with reviving !!
is this situation still the same ?
i dont have a car and wont have a car at all during uni which means i will be relying on the transport provided, does it still only get there at 9 and leave at 5 ??
if so.....thats pants
god im never going to choose between bristol & RVC, everytime i make my choice something else pops up to make me re-think everything !!
nightmare !!

I'd forgotten this thread existed!

The situation at the moment is still very similar, thoughthe uni is in talks with the council about building a student car park (for around 150 cars) and then the council will double yellow line the road! But I guess any progress is better than none.

The student buses still run at 9, 1pm and 5pm yes. The uni may (and only may) be considering altering the buses but I wouldnt count on it.
I would advise getting a bicycle (if you don't already have one) as in HH its alot quicker than walking and it would mean you're not tied to the buses.

Do you not have a driving licence then? because trust me it will become very difficult for you in the later years if you dont have a car. Getting to EMS is more difficult but importantly, when on rotations you are on long shifts that most of the time won't tie in with the student buses, and do you really want to cycle home after a 14 hour night shift?

Its just something to consider, there is the odd student who manages to go through the RVC without their own transport but they are very, very rare.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, the RVC are trying to make things better
x
batty_hatty
I'd forgotten this thread existed!

The situation at the moment is still very similar, thoughthe uni is in talks with the council about building a student car park (for around 150 cars) and then the council will double yellow line the road! But I guess any progress is better than none.

The student buses still run at 9, 1pm and 5pm yes. The uni may (and only may) be considering altering the buses but I wouldnt count on it.
I would advise getting a bicycle (if you don't already have one) as in HH its alot quicker than walking and it would mean you're not tied to the buses.

Do you not have a driving licence then? because trust me it will become very difficult for you in the later years if you dont have a car. Getting to EMS is more difficult but importantly, when on rotations you are on long shifts that most of the time won't tie in with the student buses, and do you really want to cycle home after a 14 hour night shift?

Its just something to consider, there is the odd student who manages to go through the RVC without their own transport but they are very, very rare.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic, the RVC are trying to make things better
x

oo didnt realise ther was a bus at 1pm too, thats slightly better
do lectures etc tend to finish at either 1pm or 5pm or do they finish all hours inbetween ?
i have passed my driving test but i cant afford a car :/
and i also dont have a bike...
maybe i should invest in one, and also a bus pass
are there local buses in the area that run that you can get a bus pass for ?
how does everyone manage to afford a car too :| everyone must have rich parents !!

sorry for all the questions but this is really helping me out :smile:
during the 1st 2 years of the course how often do you go to the hakshead campus for the practical sessions ? i know in Bristol you go to langford at least once a week, is it the same sort of thing for RVC ?
i know they have changed the course structure to be more practical which sounds gurd :smile:
laurasaurus
oo didnt realise ther was a bus at 1pm too, thats slightly better
do lectures etc tend to finish at either 1pm or 5pm or do they finish all hours inbetween ?
i have passed my driving test but i cant afford a car :/
and i also dont have a bike...
maybe i should invest in one, and also a bus pass
are there local buses in the area that run that you can get a bus pass for ?
how does everyone manage to afford a car too :| everyone must have rich parents !!

sorry for all the questions but this is really helping me out :smile:
during the 1st 2 years of the course how often do you go to the hakshead campus for the practical sessions ? i know in Bristol you go to langford at least once a week, is it the same sort of thing for RVC ?
i know they have changed the course structure to be more practical which sounds gurd :smile:

Lectures and practicals can finish anywhere i'm afraid, so no its not tied in to the buses at all (though for 8am lectures they make sure the buses run to get you there for 8)

there are no buses that run past HH, its very isolated. there are buses in potters bar and you can get these to either high barnet/cockfosters (the nearest tube stations depending which bus route you live on)

with cars, yes most people have parents with money and have cars bought for them or insurance paid etc. but it is possible to have one without that, i had two jobs in the first two years and worked term time, and then full time in hols to make enough to buy a car (and to pay bills etc). It is definately possible, you just have to work hard for it, be organised and go out less, and tbh you will struggle without a car. you have a licence which is half the battle.

could you get a job after a level exams for the whole summer, thats what i did, as you can work full-time (which employers like) and you can easily earn quite a lot.

i'm the last of the old curiculum i'm afraid, so cant help much, we used to go up once a week in first year, but i dont think they go up at all in first term any more. I don't know much about it, us on the old system quite like it so haven't paid much atention to the new one.

Any more q's?
batty_hatty
Lectures and practicals can finish anywhere i'm afraid, so no its not tied in to the buses at all (though for 8am lectures they make sure the buses run to get you there for 8)

there are no buses that run past HH, its very isolated. there are buses in potters bar and you can get these to either high barnet/cockfosters (the nearest tube stations depending which bus route you live on)

with cars, yes most people have parents with money and have cars bought for them or insurance paid etc. but it is possible to have one without that, i had two jobs in the first two years and worked term time, and then full time in hols to make enough to buy a car (and to pay bills etc). It is definately possible, you just have to work hard for it, be organised and go out less, and tbh you will struggle without a car. you have a licence which is half the battle.

could you get a job after a level exams for the whole summer, thats what i did, as you can work full-time (which employers like) and you can easily earn quite a lot.

i'm the last of the old curiculum i'm afraid, so cant help much, we used to go up once a week in first year, but i dont think they go up at all in first term any more. I don't know much about it, us on the old system quite like it so haven't paid much atention to the new one.

Any more q's?

i love hawkshead campus but why did they have to build it in such a random isolated area lol
what sort of work did you do in your first 2 years ?? was it like bar work/supermarkets ?? id like to geet a part time job but im not sure how much free time there will be with the mega work load an all :|
would you say theres a big need for having a car during the first 2 years or is it more in the final 3 ? because there is no way on gods earth i can get one anytime soon lol

id love a summer job but i dnt think people would be too keen on employing me just for 8 weeks or 9 weeks or whatever it is :/
i could ask for more shifts at the kennels i work saturdays at as its good pay and i hear one of the other workers is getting the sack soon, so there may be an oppurtunity there......

no worries about not knowing about the new curriculum, i didnt know which year it had started so didnt know if you were on it or not :smile:

thankyou tons for answering all these questions for me !! really sorry to load them all onto you, but i keep thinking of little things to ask lol
batty_hatty

Any more q's?

As a vet student you worked full time in hols and had 2 jobs in your first two years ?!
you definitely don't need a car in the first two years as you're slap bang in the middle of London. You might need one to get to AHEMS placements though depending on where you go. I managed without one so it's doable (especially as lots of farms will have accomodation).
I'm actually about to buy a car to be able to go to clinEMS placements this summer. I know a few American students who are finding places with accomodation/booking b&bs closeby.. so it is do-able but extremely hard work... and possibly quite expensive in the long run?!
At least if you can live at home and drive to placements you will be saving on board and lodging!
I'm lucky enough not to need to work so can't really help in that department!
The one thing I have heard about the new curriculum is that there are fewer lectures and they expect you do to alot more reading/work on your own. So provided you're good at getting organised you could probably fit in quite a few work hours!
Actually I have a paper college gave us about the new curriculum in case anyone asked us about it during the interview tours.. it's attached!
hope what I said made sense!
xx
Reply 38
on the job at uni front, just a thought but do you have any qualifications in coaching or anything reli? ive recently started taking begineers pole vault coaching, which means i effectivly get to train as well as coaching and they are kindly paying me. Its only £20 mostly every other week but sometimes every week, but every little helps. besides it only takes up of couple hours of my time.
I know of some people that also do tution and stuff. like teaching gcse kids maths or science or whatever subject it is your good in. ive seen a fair few flyers up advertising for people, and we have had the odd email i think. it won bring it much but it doesnt take long and something is better than nothing.
I did mainly shop work for the people who were asking, i do know some people who've done bar work as well. I was working in a shop and for an IT company that relocates offices (evening work on the weekend) and was doing 8-16 hours a week term time and then 40-50 hours a week in hols (when not on EMS). It is definately doable, you just have to be organised with your work and do it in the evenings during the week as you are at work on the weekend, also you dont get to go out as much as other students but that saves money too!

Transatlanticdrawl, I know it does sound a bit crazy, but if I can do it anyone can, I'm not the most organised in the world. Also, if you cant pay the bills without working you don't have much choice, for me it was either do paid work and not get a merit/distinction and be able to have someone to live and eat, or dont work, get better grades but not be able to live/eat.not that i have bad grades, its just there are some people at uni who literally do nothing (at all) other than uni work.

About the summer, this will sound harsh but get a really crap job e.g. supermarket or a shop and just dont tell them you're going to uni, then hand your notice in when the time comes, that way they will be more likely to give you a full time position.

About a car, you dont need it in the first two years but i would say its essential for the last three, even the RVC acknowledge this! i agree with Hel' in Heaven, there are a few but not many and it does cost more. I am living and commuting in PB and it is still significantly cheaper than staying in a B&B, as if you go and stay somewhere the rent/bill stil have to be paid.

Latest

Trending

Trending