The Student Room Group

London House for new Grads

Hey everyone I'm going to be graduating this year and I'm planning on living somewhere in east london with a friend or 2. How is the best way to go looking for a house or flat that's actually nice but also not that expensive?
Hey, I was in this position a few years ago when I graduated and I won't lie, looking for flats in London that are both a decent price and somewhere you'd want to live is a pretty extreme sport, it gets really competitive. I found a place to share on Spare Room (to sub in to an existing flat share) and then Zoopla is a good bet for looking for whole flats to rent with your friends. Looking for things a month or two in advance can take some of the competition out of it, but most places are available immediately so you get less choice. Probably good to start looking now at what's available so you get an idea for what you can get with your budget. And don't forget to factor in council tax and bills!
Reply 2
Original post by MissDobalina
Hey, I was in this position a few years ago when I graduated and I won't lie, looking for flats in London that are both a decent price and somewhere you'd want to live is a pretty extreme sport, it gets really competitive. I found a place to share on Spare Room (to sub in to an existing flat share) and then Zoopla is a good bet for looking for whole flats to rent with your friends. Looking for things a month or two in advance can take some of the competition out of it, but most places are available immediately so you get less choice. Probably good to start looking now at what's available so you get an idea for what you can get with your budget. And don't forget to factor in council tax and bills!
Hey thank you so much for the response! Really appreciate the advice. Just a question - when you said most places are available immediately, do you mean that when you find a place, u will normally move into it a couple weeks later and not like a month or 2 later?
Original post by zaxed
Hey thank you so much for the response! Really appreciate the advice. Just a question - when you said most places are available immediately, do you mean that when you find a place, u will normally move into it a couple weeks later and not like a month or 2 later?
No problem :smile: Yes exactly, I'm looking to move again this year and whenever I look at places in my area and budget, most of them are looking for tenants to move in asap. The place we're in now we sealed the deal with the landlord because we were able to move in earlier than the other group, and I've heard anecdotally from friends that they've been outbid by people offering to pay more than the stated rent price.
Reply 4
Original post by MissDobalina
No problem :smile: Yes exactly, I'm looking to move again this year and whenever I look at places in my area and budget, most of them are looking for tenants to move in asap. The place we're in now we sealed the deal with the landlord because we were able to move in earlier than the other group, and I've heard anecdotally from friends that they've been outbid by people offering to pay more than the stated rent price.
Ohh okay that makes sense, I have heard people say this so thanks for this info! So does that mean you look for places and book it like 2 or 3 weeks before you move in or even earlier?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending