The Student Room Group

Are people with 2.2s good PHD students?

Scroll to see replies

you have to be pretty low effort or low IQ to get a 2:2, speaking from someone that skimmed a 2:1 by playing the uni grading system.
Original post by Alexbantana
you have to be pretty low effort or low IQ to get a 2:2, speaking from someone that skimmed a 2:1 by playing the uni grading system.

@Admit-One
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I see! So why hide behind anon? :smile:

So that they can report people instead of taking constructive criticism and ops
Original post by Anonymous #1

Lol you asked for ops i gave it, why crying?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll get over it with my low IQ and all.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Seeing some wanting to do a PhD with a 2.2 , it looks strange and shows that they have lesser skills?

Hi Anon,

It’s seems to have quickly turned quite acrimonious on this thread. I’m not a regular on here, it just sometimes comes up in Google searches and grabs my attention. Like this post did.

Well done on your MA and 1st.

I got a 2.2, average A Level results but GCSEs I got 9 As and 2 Bs so (when I say average ALevelmresults I mean sh*t😂) there was a drop in what I seemed capable of. My best friend and house mate got a 2.1 (we did the same degree, met on our first day at uni).

I remember always rushing to do essays, when she was much more organised and always had reading done, I remember always being annoyed that I hadn’t spent more time as loved the reading when k got round to doing it etc. I knew undoubtedly that I was capable of a 1st as I spent 4 days in hospital once and spent the time on an essay and revising for upcoming exam and got 93% on essay on 96% on exam (tutors were perplexed).

It was only years later that I realised what it meant to be disadvantaged and stuck in a cycle of low income/poverty. Whilst at college and uni I worked full time hours around study to find myself. My peers did not. I didn’t recognise at the time that working was affecting my studies however, if I hadn’t worked I’d have not been able to get any ALevels or degree. So I think context matters.

I recently tried to do a programme to smash inequalities/social injustice etc but you need a minimum of a 2.1. Prevents from doing my big to eliminate the systems that hold us back by those very systems. And so those from low income backgrounds remain in low paid jobs.
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi Anon,
It’s seems to have quickly turned quite acrimonious on this thread. I’m not a regular on here, it just sometimes comes up in Google searches and grabs my attention. Like this post did.
Well done on your MA and 1st.
I got a 2.2, average A Level results but GCSEs I got 9 As and 2 Bs so (when I say average ALevelmresults I mean sh*t😂) there was a drop in what I seemed capable of. My best friend and house mate got a 2.1 (we did the same degree, met on our first day at uni).
I remember always rushing to do essays, when she was much more organised and always had reading done, I remember always being annoyed that I hadn’t spent more time as loved the reading when k got round to doing it etc. I knew undoubtedly that I was capable of a 1st as I spent 4 days in hospital once and spent the time on an essay and revising for upcoming exam and got 93% on essay on 96% on exam (tutors were perplexed).
It was only years later that I realised what it meant to be disadvantaged and stuck in a cycle of low income/poverty. Whilst at college and uni I worked full time hours around study to find myself. My peers did not. I didn’t recognise at the time that working was affecting my studies however, if I hadn’t worked I’d have not been able to get any ALevels or degree. So I think context matters.
I recently tried to do a programme to smash inequalities/social injustice etc but you need a minimum of a 2.1. Prevents from doing my big to eliminate the systems that hold us back by those very systems. And so those from low income backgrounds remain in low paid jobs.

Top G, good reply!

I’ll copy my previous comment on which will hopefully give you a bit of insight into the complexities academic achievement. Context matters.

I understand you managed to use whatever you are referring to to your advantage but it’s unfair to project this onto all of us.
I’ll copy my previous comment on which will hopefully give you a bit of insight into the complexities academic achievement. Context matters.
I understand you managed to use whatever you are referring to to your advantage but it’s unfair to project this onto all of us.

Sorry 😪
Sorry 😪

Ahh don’t be sorry!!! It’s not something our government shout about, they’d rather publish data showing students from low socioeconomic backgrounds have lower ability than their more affluent peers.
I think someone is conflating outcomes with ability.
Reply 51

This is incredibly reductive and is simply not the case, speaking as someone that spent the past ten years teaching people of all abilities aged from 12 to their mid 40s in schools and universities.
Original post by Admit-One
I think someone is conflating outcomes with ability.

Hiya A1,

I hope you are good?

Can we not conflate the two when we have an education system, indeed culture, which measures ability on outcomes?
Hiya A1,
I hope you are good?
Can we not conflate the two when we have an education system, indeed culture, which measures ability on outcomes?

No.
Original post by Admit-One
No.

A simple yes or no would have been suffice oh hang on 😂.

Well, that was the least interesting and most disappointing conversation I’ve had for ages.

However, can you give me a bit more please? On both posts preferably. Help me understand your perspective?

Ta.
Well, that was the least interesting and most disappointing conversation I’ve had for ages.
However, can you give me a bit more please? On both posts preferably. Help me understand your perspective?
Ta.

@Admit-One

Just in case you do have time, or indeed the inclination to get back to me, I’ll just elaborate on my response to the OP and about not conflating outcomes with abilities,

Outcomes are based on what we’ve learnt not what we’ve been taught but what we’ve learnt doesn’t reflect our ability. However, our outcomes are viewed as our ability. Rightly or wrongly, they just are. For example, you’ll often hear a person with a 1st being described as clever or even the fact that they got a first as proof of intelligence, conflating outcome and ability. They are used interchangeably by many in today’s, or possibly always, system.
Reply 56
Who asked

When one chats shite, one must expect to be challenged on it
Reply 57
Ta.

******* hell you are legitimately insufferable
Original post by gjd800
When one chats shite, one must expect to be challenged on it

Your life must just be one big episode of being challenged everytime you open your mouth then eh?
There’s absolutely not a hope in hells chance you are a teacher.

You cannot hold your booze and should have gone to bed rather than hanging around here trying to humiliate people.

The mind boggles how Liverpool is considered one of the friendliest cities if you re representative of the folk there.
Original post by gjd800
This is incredibly reductive and is simply not the case, speaking as someone that spent the past ten years teaching people of all abilities aged from 12 to their mid 40s in schools and universities.

If untrue and something she invented then how can you know it’s reductive? Reductive of what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending