The Student Room Group

Is my boyfriend in the wrong for this?

Is he or am I and my family over reacting?

Hi ,
Basically, we’re long distance as he goes to uni and we’ve dated for almost a year now. We hardly ever see each other due to the distance (2hrs 30 by train max ) and I have work as well.
I haven’t seen him in a few weeks and i went to see him Saturday evening / night and came home tonight…. This was because it was too late to take time off and I also don’t have any days left . I normally go Friday - Monday.

I arrived at 11pm on the Saturday due to working until late that day (9 hours in fact). The Sunday , we just didn’t do much at all and was hoping to do something nice you know- like go see the city or something, maybe I should communicate more but idk anything about the city so I don’t know where to go or what to do. He then decided he’d watch the Man U v Liverpool game (3:30pm - 6:00pm)
He’s been upset with the long distance and he’s always out with uni people all week going to clubs , pubs , watching football , playing games etc but with me he can’t ever decide on what to do.
I had to make the decision myself to go to spoons as idk what else is around and I normally pick where to go where we live at home and so decided just have some food and have drinks (got drunk) .
My mum and sister are saying he could’ve recorded the football ( different if we always see each other of course ) and that it’s a lot of money for a train ticket just to go and watch football that I don’t even enjoy?
I should communicate more with him but didn’t know if it was selfish to have these thoughts ? But if my family r saying it without me saying then I guess it isn’t just me?

What do u think?

Scroll to see replies

Why would it be selfish to think you'd like your boyfriend to do something interesting with you when you have travelled a long way to see him? Personally I think you'd be better off ending it as it sounds awfully hard work and he doesn't seem to be making any effort. What are you getting out of this relationship that makes it worth your time and effort?
Nothing selfish about wanting to spend your limited time together productively.
Dump him. You already know your worth, otherwise you wouldn’t be asking. And you are worth much more than that.
Reply 4
Original post by Jakson123
Why would it be selfish to think you'd like your boyfriend to do something interesting with you when you have travelled a long way to see him? Personally I think you'd be better off ending it as it sounds awfully hard work and he doesn't seem to be making any effort. What are you getting out of this relationship that makes it worth your time and effort?

Idk I just love him so so much and felt as if im overthinking things but I feel really down. Like im always stuck at home as I have work and im drained after , i thought it’d be nice to do something with him as im an outgoing person. Even if its just a walk to a nice scenery place you know. Or even watch a film. Not stupid football. He knows I dislike football as well. It’s because he has suspected autism & adhd and so do I - so I feel bad and I feel as if he’s not aware of how I feel - he’s sensitive and I love everything about him it’s just the effort and im always choosing what to do or go.

It’s just a mix of long distance and this is making me feel utter **** as he’s always out all week with uni people and then when it’s with me it’s just nothing
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
Nothing selfish about wanting to spend your limited time together productively.

Thank you so much 😊 makes me feel better
Reply 6
Original post by BishBashBoff
Dump him. You already know your worth, otherwise you wouldn’t be asking. And you are worth much more than that.

Thanks. It’s just I love him so much- but it’s so hard with long distance. It’s even harder like this. He has suspected autism and adhd so that could be the reason for this and he’s really sweet , loving , caring and so feeling like he’s poo at times makes me feel mean. But I spent £60 for that weekend and didn’t get to do anything at all soo
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thanks. It’s just I love him so much- but it’s so hard with long distance. It’s even harder like this. He has suspected autism and adhd so that could be the reason for this and he’s really sweet , loving , caring and so feeling like he’s poo at times makes me feel mean. But I spent £60 for that weekend and didn’t get to do anything at all soo
Maybe try to communicate across your feelings to him, even though I understand at times it may be difficult to get them across but, instead of having these worries to yourself, it's better to talk them out with him. Communication is the key to a successful relationship, even more so with a long distance one.
Reply 8
Hi ,
Basically, we’re long distance as he goes to uni and we’ve dated for almost a year now. We hardly ever see each other due to the distance (2hrs 30 by train max ) and I have work as well.
I haven’t seen him in a few weeks and i went to see him Saturday evening / night and came home tonight…. This was because it was too late to take time off and I also don’t have any days left . I normally go Friday - Monday.
I arrived at 11pm on the Saturday due to working until late that day (9 hours in fact). The Sunday , we just didn’t do much at all and was hoping to do something nice you know- like go see the city or something, maybe I should communicate more but idk anything about the city so I don’t know where to go or what to do. He then decided he’d watch the Man U v Liverpool game (3:30pm - 6:00pm)
He’s been upset with the long distance and he’s always out with uni people all week going to clubs , pubs , watching football , playing games etc but with me he can’t ever decide on what to do.
I had to make the decision myself to go to spoons as idk what else is around and I normally pick where to go where we live at home and so decided just have some food and have drinks (got drunk) .
My mum and sister are saying he could’ve recorded the football ( different if we always see each other of course ) and that it’s a lot of money for a train ticket just to go and watch football that I don’t even enjoy?
I should communicate more with him but didn’t know if it was selfish to have these thoughts ? But if my family r saying it without me saying then I guess it isn’t just me?
What do u think?
i thinky ou need to sit back and sing
oh i ain got cash i ain got cash
but i got you babyyyy
baby i ain got no dollar bills to have fun tonight
Reply 9
everytime i see you jakson you keep telling people why bother with their relationship. i think you're lonely jacky. tinders a great option! (joke btw)
Original post by Anonymous #2
Maybe try to communicate across your feelings to him, even though I understand at times it may be difficult to get them across but, instead of having these worries to yourself, it's better to talk them out with him. Communication is the key to a successful relationship, even more so with a long distance one.

Thank you. I feel bad cos it was a big game and he said he wouldn’t have watched it but he’s done something similar before.i always feel bad about talking about things. oh well i need to. it’s just he told me like an hour before , so he’s bad at communication as well. not helpful whatsoever oh well. thanks so much. u have helped a lot
Original post by dontbeg
i thinky ou need to sit back and sing
oh i ain got cash i ain got cash
but i got you babyyyy
baby i ain got no dollar bills to have fun tonight

Not helpful
Original post by dontbeg
everytime i see you jakson you keep telling people why bother with their relationship. i think you're lonely jacky. tinders a great option! (joke btw)
Perhaps you're right :lol: so many people seem to be unhappy in their relationships though.
aw Im in such a similar relationship with you! I'm with my boyfriend for nearly 3 years, we've started dating when he was in Uni, and now he is working full time and I'm still in last year of sixth form. We also hardly see each other cuz of 2.5hr train lmaooo. We had some communication problems at the beginning, I felt he is not as "sharing" as I hoped (eg proactively telling me what's been happening around him / any major changes) and did't actively invite me to anything. He's also the type that speaks less often and its typical for him sometimes being able to feel some negative feelings in him but he just can't put them into words, and can't explain the trigger / possible ways that I can help to cheer him up. In addition I am also not yet a positive and energetic person so my mood also gets affect by him. So for lots of times we experience a vicious spiral of feeling worse when we started sharing negative feelings / giving out suggestions. But since this year things have improved though. I think it's all down to communication, and being aware that sometimes our brain just work differently. Maybe you could try phrase your words carefully and explain thoroughly your feelings and what you want to him, and be careful not to imply anything or leave any spaces for him to interpret and infer. My bf ranked amongst the highest academically in one of Oxbridge, but sometimes when I ask him to infer something emotional that is literally common sense to me, he gives really really bizarre answer that I thought only aliens would do. (so I thought there's a slight possibility that your bf honestly feels its fine to watch football despite you are not interested in it? This is obviously not right, but I just think we have to make it clear that we don't like this. And if this happens again I can be sure it happened because he is not caring of me, rather than any form of misunderstanding between us) So I've given up hoping for him to understand my feelings. Whenever I need something I just raise it up very explicitly and we would discuss it formally. So maybe you could try the same? But you should really consider let it go if he keeps being ignorant of your feelings despite you making it fully clear.

100% right

You can love him a hundred times more than you feel you currently do - that doesn't mean he is right for you or the situation works. Its quite clear that this is not a medium or long term thing given the factors involved - find someone else to have fun with who values you, is open and in tune with you , and much nearer.
Original post by Anonymous #4
You can love him a hundred times more than you feel you currently do - that doesn't mean he is right for you or the situation works. Its quite clear that this is not a medium or long term thing given the factors involved - find someone else to have fun with who values you, is open and in tune with you , and much nearer.

Thank you ! It’s because it’s so hard long distance and when that happens it’s even harder and makes me feel upset. Do you think it’s that bad tho?
Just don’t know what to do😭
Tbh If you've been dating a year long distance and hardly see each other, how much are either of you really invested in this and what are your expectations? likewise your own families?

Long distance is HARD, it needs a lot of indirect communication and reassurance, but you're talking of both of you being ADHD-ish, sensitive, potential autism etc - to be blunt it sounds like you've got a very uphill struggle to make this work.
Original post by StriderHort
Tbh If you've been dating a year long distance and hardly see each other, how much are either of you really invested in this and what are your expectations? likewise your own families?
Long distance is HARD, it needs a lot of indirect communication and reassurance, but you're talking of both of you being ADHD-ish, sensitive, potential autism etc - to be blunt it sounds like you've got a very uphill struggle to make this work.

Hi thanks for replying . It’s very very hard !
Do you think it’s possible for it to work if we try?
It’s because it’s been a year so i feel like im used to it (well 10 months we’ve been together and since September from when he went to uni) but its just getting harder
Hi ,
What do u think?

I think 2 things mainly..

1) Your correct that you should have communicated, you can’t complain too much. There’s also nothing stopping you booking tickets for stuff in advance.

2) It sounds like you want a man to take the lead, if this is not what your boyfriend is like then you may not be compatible in the long run.

60/40 your fault.

You should know if your boyfriend likes you to take control or is ambivelant and should therefore have communicated if not. Equally, your boyfriend should be a man and take control of the situation.
(edited 1 month ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending