The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Colleges

Does it make a significant difference as a graduate student which college you're assigned to?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Does it make a significant difference as a graduate student which college you're assigned to?

I very much doubt it as I don’t think there is any way for anybody to know what college you went to.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hey there

It does not make any difference which college you're assigned to. It will never come up with employers but may only help you to potentially 'bond' with Durham alumni from your college.

For instance, this might be relevant if you're looking for mentors within your college while you're still a student here. Colleges have mentoring/ programmes with people who have industry connections so you might be able to connect with someone who, say, graduated from your college and is working in a company you want to join as a graduate. This can help you gain an insight into the company culture or even secure a referral from them. Most colleges will mention about their mentoring/alumni programmes on their website but I'm aware that South doesn't have one because it's a fairly new college.

Hope that helps!

-Himieka
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest