The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work America

Scroll to see replies

Can you do the 3 month work placements in American after A-level exams before I go to University or will I not have enough time? In 2010. My course will be starting normal time, in September.
co_co_vogue
Can you do the 3 month work placements in American after A-level exams before I go to University or will I not have enough time? In 2010. My course will be starting normal time, in September.

No you can't, you have to be a full-time university student to apply for Bunac Work America:

bunac.org:
'To be eligible you must be a current full-time student at a UK or Irish university on a degree level or HND course (or equivalent). Final year students are eligible to apply. Gap year students, and those on professional courses such as ACCA are not eligible.'
Reply 102
I have stumbled across workamerica and am so excited about the idea of working and living in a place like New York. Thing is, the website isn't that clear... what is the process you go through from registration to actually getting to america?
Do you pay a registration fee of £259, as well as the £449 (if you choose to go with the travel package which I think I would) Because it seems like a massive amount of money. Including insurance and visa costs, would I need about £800 altogether before i get there... then obviously spending money? Eek! How do you students manage this???!
I worked out it was over 900 pounds if you included the travel package. My query is that as I want to work in California, is there any real point paying to go to an orientation in New York? As I'll just have to pay again to fly to California. And currently the flights I'm finding are surprisingly cheap. (Probably as it's nine months in advance!)

I've had a look at realgap as well which seems cheaper but i think bunac are more respected.

My other query (if anyone can help) is about student discounts. I'll be a recent graduate ( a final year in other words) and as far as I can tell i'm still eligble and will be on a J visa but will I be able to get student discounts while i'm out in america? Looking at things like the Isic card which I could use on amtrak it seems once you've graduated the card no longer works. Which seems about right but just unlucky for me.
Any help?
Do you have to work for the whole 3 months?
Brightstar
Do you have to work for the whole 3 months?

nope, some people get the visa and don't even work!
Reply 106
I went on BUNAC work america last year and had the time of my life, cant believe how much i miss it. i worked for 2 months and earnt enough money to travel for a whole month and come home with money for uni, which was the whole point of my doing work america instead of a summer camp.
BUNAC were very helpful with the whole application process and were the cheapest i found. The group flight was a bonus to me, for the meeting people in the same situation before we left but i met people who didnt take the bunac flight option and it appeared they still recieved the same level of support.
romeosbitch::: You are still eligble for J1 in your final year (big incentive for doing it as its your last chance) and as far as im aware, as long as you have a J1 your eligible for the student discounts.
bwin12::: i took the minimum amount required and only needed money for transport to my job and first week of food, after that you either get paid weekly or fortnightly. the costs do seem a lot a first glance but it is ALL worth it!!! i tripled the money that i spent initially and still came home with money after travelling. i got a second job which was great -- waitressing and they provided me with food, the job directory helped me find my first job -- which provided accomodation. to sum it up, i really wouldnt worry about money issues when your out there. you get what you put in basically. and im the poorest student going but i wouldnt change a thing about my summer and know that i will be doing it again, theres always a way around money and if you want the experience of a lifetime then go for it!!
Wait...so if youre on a gap year...you can't apply for Work America?
Reply 108
no you cant, but you could do summer camp usa with BUNAC. if your 18 and they do have loadsa volunteer programmes
simmy889
I went on BUNAC work america last year and had the time of my life, cant believe how much i miss it. i worked for 2 months and earnt enough money to travel for a whole month and come home with money for uni, which was the whole point of my doing work america instead of a summer camp.
BUNAC were very helpful with the whole application process and were the cheapest i found. The group flight was a bonus to me, for the meeting people in the same situation before we left but i met people who didnt take the bunac flight option and it appeared they still recieved the same level of support.
romeosbitch::: You are still eligble for J1 in your final year (big incentive for doing it as its your last chance) and as far as im aware, as long as you have a J1 your eligible for the student discounts.
bwin12::: i took the minimum amount required and only needed money for transport to my job and first week of food, after that you either get paid weekly or fortnightly. the costs do seem a lot a first glance but it is ALL worth it!!! i tripled the money that i spent initially and still came home with money after travelling. i got a second job which was great -- waitressing and they provided me with food, the job directory helped me find my first job -- which provided accomodation. to sum it up, i really wouldnt worry about money issues when your out there. you get what you put in basically. and im the poorest student going but i wouldnt change a thing about my summer and know that i will be doing it again, theres always a way around money and if you want the experience of a lifetime then go for it!!

What job did you do?
At my camp this summer I was getting paid $300 a week for 8 weeks and a $500 bonus, with free food and shelter at camp... most people said that was above expectations for summer work and I spent all that money easily travelling.
Reply 110
Has anyone applied this year and recieved the job pack yet ?
I've applied, but haven't recieved anything yet, hopefully will come soon :smile:
Reply 112
cookieforyou
I've applied, but haven't recieved anything yet, hopefully will come soon :smile:

If it is not too much trouble when u get it could u tell me what it is like and how it is set up and kinda jobs cos so far i am kinda confused with it all
Reply 113
Foster88
If it is not too much trouble when u get it could u tell me what it is like and how it is set up and kinda jobs cos so far i am kinda confused with it all

i wouldnt worry about it with all the postal strikes and things. i applied super late and still managed to get a job and i know ppl who went out there and found one. your gonna have the time of your life, it all seems confusing now but it really isnt. Sim
Reply 114
I'm looking at getting a summer job with maybe a gym or sports club in manhattan/new york over the summer for 8 weeks.

Can anyone help with that? Any advice'/info/previous experience??

Was looking at Bunac but seems alot of money when you have to get your own accommodation etc?!
Reply 115
Hi all,
are the bunac gonna find job for you????
I'm 18, just started upper sixth and intend to take a gap year. Do you think there's still time to start applying for BUNAC or is it too late?
SmileLetsGo
I'm 18, just started upper sixth and intend to take a gap year. Do you think there's still time to start applying for BUNAC or is it too late?

Not read the T+C's? You need to be a full time university student to do work america, you can do camp america otherwise and if so, no it's not too late.
I don't get why there's hardly any info on this program on the web, its a joke. I would like to do this next summer, as I did camp this year and can always go back to it after uni... but cant do the WA programme after uni..

Any past go-ers on here, I really want to talk to somebody that's done it somewhere arghhghghg
bexicle89
Not read the T+C's? You need to be a full time university student to do work america, you can do camp america otherwise and if so, no it's not too late.

I just spotted this thread and thought I'd see what would happen haha. Camp America then... that doesn't sound too bad. I'll look into it, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest