The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 1
CARDIFF ROCKS! as i said before it isnt too expensive Barfly is good and the night life isn't particulary rough!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
I would say Exeter or Sheffield- both have excellent reputations but are slightly different places.... Exeter being smaller, quieter, and southern!! As for nightlife- Cardiff and Sheffield are probably quite similar being large cities......
Exeter-firm
Sheffield- Insurance
Reply 3
domjohn
I would say Exeter or Sheffield- both have excellent reputations but are slightly different places.... Exeter being smaller, quieter, and southern!! As for nightlife- Cardiff and Sheffield are probably quite similar being large cities......
Exeter-firm
Sheffield- Insurance

Just out of interest, why would you put them above Cardiff? I have reservations about putting Sheffield as my insurance as it wants an A in English, and this is far from guarenteed. The course at Cardiff is better than Exeter, but I get to go to the states for a year if I go to Exeter!
Reply 4
I don't know much about the English courses- as I applied for law- but I much prefer Sheffield as a place to Cardiff, it has a much nicer feel in my opinion- Sheffield is more my kind of place i guess. Coincidentally, I applied and had offers (both grades the same) and chose Sheffield as my insurance over Cardiff.
If i were in your situation I would definitely put Exeter as my firm, from the perspective of reputation alone as I have no idea about course structure etc. The grades are higher giving you something higher to aim for which can never be a bad thing! Then Sheffield/Cardiff depending which place/course is most suited to you!
Heya Sam!
The only negative point for me about being at Cardiff really is that I can't just pop home whenever I'm feeling a bit down but this is gonna be the same where ever you go i they're a good distance away from home. Oh and being English when Wales win the Rugby :wink:

I love everything else about Cardiff, I think it's the perfect student city. Compact but it has everything you need. Relatively cheap to live in. And most importantly there's a great feel of a student community even though it's not a campus university ... most of the time it feels like it. However just because I love it doesn't mean you will ... and just because the poster above doesn't seem to keen on it doesn't mean you wouldn't like it.

My advice would be to follow your heart. When I was deciding all those many (two *LoL*) years ago, my head was telling me to go for Manchester or Nottingham cause overall they were further up the league table but I just didn't like them as much as Cardiff (actually I really didn't like Nottingham but that's another story) ... Cardiff was the university I visited that I could actually see myself there. So pick the university you think you'll be happiest at and have the best time at. All of the universities you've got offers from are good reputation wise so don't let a few places in the league table put you off going somewhere you're not sure you'll be happy.
Reply 6
Thanks :smile: I'm not going to base it on reputation or league tables, because I know that all the unis I have offers from are pretty much as good as each other. As you said, a few places in a league table doesnt mean a thing.

I liked Cardiff when I looked around it, and the city seems really good. The course is great too. I still have to visit Sheffield and Exeter, but I'm pretty sure that Cardiff will be my first choice. And just so you know, I didn't like Nottingham either!

Latest

Trending

Trending