The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 1
I've got an offer for Eng Lit at Cardiff, and if I go there I will do journalism, film and media as one of my first year subjects.

Overall, Cardiff has a better reputation, but Bournemouth is *the* place to be for media. It has such a great reputation for media studies, journalism, etc - more so than Cardiff I would say. The Cardiff journalism course isn't vocational, it's more theoretical, and I don't know if this is what you want. I would imaging that Bournemouth would have a more vocational course. What do you want to do after uni?

Personally I would pick Bournemouth on the strength of it's media school alone. Although Cardiff is a really great place!

Hope that helped. It probably didnt.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
~Sam~

Personally I would pick Bournemouth on the strength of it's media school alone. Although Cardiff is a really great place!

Thats the problem!! I want to go to Cardiff because everyone is saying how brilliant the city is there. Ive been to the students union as well and it was seemed more impressive than Bournemouth's. The only negative part of it is that Cardiff's degree doesn't offer as much work experience and vocational stuff.
The thing is Im not 100% sure what I want to go into after uni, all I know is that I'll enjoy a course in journalism more than any other subject. Would you choose a uni more for the place or the course? x x
Reply 3
jeni8686
Thats the problem!! I want to go to Cardiff because everyone is saying how brilliant the city is there. Ive been to the students union as well and it was seemed more impressive than Bournemouth's. The only negative part of it is that Cardiff's degree doesn't offer as much work experience and vocational stuff.
The thing is Im not 100% sure what I want to go into after uni, all I know is that I'll enjoy a course in journalism more than any other subject. Would you choose a uni more for the place or the course? x x

I'd choose the course because you're going to have to be studying it for three years. I having the same problem. I really liked Exeter, but the English course at Cardiff is so much better.

I've never been to Bournemouth so I don't really know what it's like, but there's no doubt that Cardiff is a great city. At Cardiff, if you do JF&M, you have to do another humanities subject in your first year, I don't know if you consider that a good or bad thing. What is the title of the degree at Bournmouth? My friend has applied there for something media related, and was really pleased with the facilities.
Reply 4
~Sam~
At Cardiff, if you do JF&M, you have to do another humanities subject in your first year, I don't know if you consider that a good or bad thing. What is the title of the degree at Bournmouth?

I wouldnt mind that at all, Im doing geography at the moment for Alevel. Ive applied for multimedia journalism at Bournemouth, the only thing is I haven't got an offer yet anyway!
I think because Bournemouth is lower entry points, I'll put Cardiff as my first choice and Bournemouth. That way I'll have to wait and see on results day which uni I go to (depending on whether i get an offer from Bournemouth in the first place)!
Have you decided that Cardiff is your first choice then? x x
Reply 5
jeni8686
I wouldnt mind that at all, Im doing geography at the moment for Alevel. Ive applied for multimedia journalism at Bournemouth, the only thing is I haven't got an offer yet anyway!
I think because Bournemouth is lower entry points, I'll put Cardiff as my first choice and Bournemouth. That way I'll have to wait and see on results day which uni I go to (depending on whether i get an offer from Bournemouth in the first place)!
Have you decided that Cardiff is your first choice then? x x

It probably will be. It's a nice city, with plenty to do in terms of shopping and nightlife! The course is good too, in the first year you get to do three subjects which is good for me because I'm not entirely sure that English is the subject for me, and this way I have the possibility of swiching to something else. The English modules in years 2 & 3 are all optional too, so I can stay away from the boring stuff!

Something that might interest you - I heard that Cardiff has most journalism/media opportunities outside of London. So if you want work experience you will probably find it in Cardiff! That's another thing that's swaying me, because I'm interested in getting into journalism after uni.
Reply 6
~Sam~
I heard that Cardiff has most journalism/media opportunities outside of London. So if you want work experience you will probably find it in Cardiff!

Oh god im even mroe confused now! The thing that attracted me to cardiff was that because its a capital city its gonna be easier to find work experience opportunities, like you said. tbh when I went to Bournemouth a week ago for an activity day thingy, it didnt seem like there was much going on! I didnt spot one good clothes shop, and yet at Cardiff theres loads of everything! Also I think that Cardiff would be more exciting to live in.
I never thought that choosing between two unis would be so bloody hard! x x
Reply 7
jeni8686
Oh god im even mroe confused now! The thing that attracted me to cardiff was that because its a capital city its gonna be easier to find work experience opportunities, like you said. tbh when I went to Bournemouth a week ago for an activity day thingy, it didnt seem like there was much going on! I didnt spot one good clothes shop, and yet at Cardiff theres loads of everything! Also I think that Cardiff would be more exciting to live in.
I never thought that choosing between two unis would be so bloody hard! x x

Lol I know. I read in your other post that you have an offer for Westminster. That's really good for journalism too, I think that's my mate's first choice
Reply 8
~Sam~
Lol I know. I read in your other post that you have an offer for Westminster. That's really good for journalism too, I think that's my mate's first choice

I havent got an offer for it just yet, but ive got an interview in the 2nd March. I dont think I'll go there because living in London is going to be pretty expensive and its only an hour away from where I live - I need to get as far away as possible :smile:

Well Im just going to wait and see whether Bournemouth have accepted me or not, and go from there! But if i do get ABB then chances are I'll choose Cardiff x x
Reply 9
jeni8686
I havent got an offer for it just yet, but ive got an interview in the 2nd March. I dont think I'll go there because living in London is going to be pretty expensive and its only an hour away from where I live - I need to get as far away as possible :smile:

Well Im just going to wait and see whether Bournemouth have accepted me or not, and go from there! But if i do get ABB then chances are I'll choose Cardiff x x

Cool :smile: Well you never know, I might see you there! What A levels are you doing and what are u predicted?
Reply 10
~Sam~
Cool :smile: Well you never know, I might see you there! What A levels are you doing and what are u predicted?

Im doing English literature, Geography and Human Biology at the moment, and Im predicted AAA but I doubt whether I can get As in English and Geography though. :frown:

But if i work hard and get AAA il be in a position to choose between Cardiff and Bournemouth I guess! What are you predicted for your subjects, do you think you'll get what you're predicted? xx
Reply 11
jeni8686
Im doing English literature, Geography and Human Biology at the moment, and Im predicted AAA but I doubt whether I can get As in English and Geography though. :frown:

But if i work hard and get AAA il be in a position to choose between Cardiff and Bournemouth I guess! What are you predicted for your subjects, do you think you'll get what you're predicted? xx

I'm doing English lang/it, Psych and Geog, predicted AAA. I need AAB (with an A in English) to get into Cardiff, but I'm really worried about getting an A in English because I only got a low A for AS. And i'm not too confident on geography either!
Reply 12
I have an offer for the same course. I also had an offer from Bournemouth.
There is no way that I would go to Bournemouth, the course that I went for (Media and comms) looked good and then I found out that it covers most of the stuff that I have already done, making sure to go over the basics because there are no specific Alevels required. It seemed really unorganised, more so then other unis, on the open day. And I just didn't feel right.
Although it does have a great reputation for Media.

I'm obviously bias towards Cardiff, prefering that uni. It seems much more academic and a bit more respected.
Reply 13
I'm sort of in the same position as you!
And agree alot with what Luize had to say ^^^

I've taken my A-levels (ABB) and i'm currently on a gap year..

I applied for:
Bournemouth - Media and Communication
Cardiff - Communication
Cardfif - Journalism
Leeds -New Media
Leeds - Communication
Sussex - Media
I got an offer for all of the courses, and i'm just making up my mind!

I've always loved Bournemouth (memories of the seaside as a child, i think!)
And it has a fantastic reputation for Media..
but i really wasn't impressed by the Uni, Course or the actual town...
I felt it was all too small for me..
I totally agree about the lack of night life/shops.. i also want a decent gig venue and the ability to walk to Uni, which Bourenmouth doesn't offer...

Cardiff seems to have everything i want!
Yesterday on the open day, i ruled out the possiblilty of studying Communication there...
which just leaves me with Journalism!
The course looks great, and the Bute building and people there seemed to have a real buzz about them.. something which is often hard to find!
Also.. in terms of media related degrees, having a 'Journalism' degree from Cardiff carries alot of weight and in my opinion will open alot of doors..

I'm yet to accept my place yet.. off to Leeds next week.. to see what I make of that!

May see you September?!
xx
Reply 14
bexy
but i really wasn't impressed by the Uni, Course or the actual town...
I felt it was all too small for me..
I totally agree about the lack of night life/shops.. i also want a decent gig venue and the ability to walk to Uni, which Bourenmouth doesn't offer...

Cardiff seems to have everything i want!
Yesterday on the open day, i ruled out the possiblilty of studying Communication there...
which just leaves me with Journalism!
The course looks great, and the Bute building and people there seemed to have a real buzz about them.. something which is often hard to find!
Also.. in terms of media related degrees, having a 'Journalism' degree from Cardiff carries alot of weight and in my opinion will open alot of doors..

I'm yet to accept my place yet.. off to Leeds next week.. to see what I make of that!

May see you September?!
xx

oh my god we're in the same boat! The thing that swayed me to bournemouth in the first place was its reputation for media, but like you, when I actually went there I didnt get the same kind of atmosphere as is in Cardiff. Also I really like the idea of living in a city like Cardiff, when I went round Bournemouth i couldnt see any shops at all apart from Asda!!
Ive got an offer from Leeds for communication too, but Ive decided the course isnt really for me. I want to focus on journalism I think.
Ive got my offer from Bournemouth back, which I was really pleased with, but I dunno whether to put it as my second choice now. I reckon I'd be happier in Cardiff than Bournemouth, so its gonna be my first choice :p:
The problem with putting Bournemouth as my second choice is that its only one grade lower than Cardiff - what happens if I dont get grades for either of them :confused:
Reply 15
Your choice of course is so important, but location is key too..
Bournemouth has a great beach.. and laid back atmosphere, but in my opinion not much else!
I personally want to spend 3 years in a City which has plenty to keep me occupied!
You should definitely be pleased that you've got an offer from Bournemouth, your in a very privilidged position.. many whould die for this..!
I'm not really sure about the insurance offer thing, because i havn't had to deal with this at all! If you don't get either, i think you go into clearing, maybe?

Also.. have you got a breakdown of what we will be studying in the 1st year on the 'Journalism' course @ Cardiff?
I've got the additional prospectus about JOMEC but wanted something like Bournemoth provided (info on all the modules)

I really can't wait to go to Leeds this week, because if it doesn't feel right then Cardiff will definitely be where i'm going!

xx
Reply 16
I remember seeing a list of all the modules, either from the prospectus or their website, but it didnt go into huge detail really.
I was told by another person on this website that Bounremouths journalism course was actually in clearing last year anyway, so even if you dont get the grades for them you may still get in there!
Jus to let you know ive chosen Cardiff as my firm offer and put Bournemouth as my insurance, so I feel a little bit less stressed now Ive made my mind up. At the end of the day I know ill have a good time wherever I go, cos Cardiff is a capital city with loads to do, and of course Bournemouth has the beach and good nightlife too. Let me know when youve decided where youre going!! x x

Latest

Trending

Trending