The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Say that you discovered the new world single handedly. Geographical and impressive
Reply 2
It could be a title for my personal statement.
Reply 3
thebadger
It could be a title for my personal statement.

You don't have a title for your personal statement I'm afraid...
Reply 4
thebadger
Hi :smile:
Doing my A-levels at Ecclesbourne school, and starting to think about which university would be best, cause im pretty sure I want to do a geography course.
But basically, I was wondering what else I could do put on my ucas form.

I subscribe to geography review via my school and I was wondering what else could give me a edge.

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

Tbh the most important thing that your PS will have to convey is your enthusiasm for the subject and evidence that that enthusiasm has meant you've taken your interest beyond school and are ready to work independently. By which I mean, if you're looking for things to strengthen a Geography application - get reading! Start reading into geographical issues that interest you - books, magazine articles, even journal papers if you can get hold of them. If you do do any travelling, try to be aware of place-specific issues you come across as you do (e.g. political/economic/development issues, cultural differences, or aspects of climate/geology/hydrology/ecology etc if you're more into the physical side) and that could again give you something to talk about in the PS or an interview.
Read something good. Not Geography Review, not National Geographic, and not thinly disguised travel books (although I put all three on my PS and got into Cambridge still...). If you like human geography, get hold of a book called "The Human Geography Reader" (or similar) and immerse yourself in geographical debates and the history of geographical thought. They'll like that.
Reply 6
Yeah, be selective of course. National Geographic is just embarassingly bad nowadays (compared to old issues from years and years ago) - it's hard to even spot the tiny articles hidden in amongst the throngs of adverts. I'm amazed anyone buys it still.
Reply 7
Ahhh thank you, very helpful
Reply 8
For instance I can randomly recommend [Adams, W.M. (2004) Against Extinction: the story of conservation, Earthscan, London], if you're at all into development and conservation issues, the legacy of colonialism or political ecology in general.

Bill Adams was a lecturer of mine at Cambridge - a guy who really knows how to make what he's talking about interesting, and the book is very readable (which is somewhat rare for something published by an academic! Even if it is aimed at a general audience)
Reply 9
Jared Diamond is also very readable, and aimed at a general audience.
As well as all the reading i'd recommend doing some relevant work experience if you can! I did some at a timber company looking at how they worked in a sustainable manner and this was picked up on at both [physical and human] my interviews at Oxford, which leads me to think all my other unis would have taken note of it as well!
Reply 11
Ahh work experience, hadn't thought of that
Thank you everyone

Latest

Trending

Trending