The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How many interviews and offers do leicester give out for the 5yr course?
Reply 2
How is the interview process handled? I still haven't received an invitation for interview/rejection.
Reply 3
Scipio
I'm a 3rd year medical student at UoLeicester. I used to look here and a few other places (Med school Guide forums and Medical Admissions forums if they're still around) for help in my application and general Medicine information.

Anyway, thought I'd return the favour and just post this here to see if people have any questions specific to Leicester. Pick my brain.

Can of worms.......
Reply 4
Scipio
I'm a 3rd year medical student at UoLeicester. I used to look here and a few other places (Med school Guide forums and Medical Admissions forums if they're still around) for help in my application and general Medicine information.

Anyway, thought I'd return the favour and just post this here to see if people have any questions specific to Leicester. Pick my brain.

What makes Leicester a good uni to study at compared to the other unis?
Reply 5
tazzzzz
How many interviews and offers do leicester give out for the 5yr course?

Not sure if it's still the same, but for us they gave about half the applicants an interview, and about half of those offers.
Reply 6
nas7232
How is the interview process handled? I still haven't received an invitation for interview/rejection.

They do interviews all the way into May, for us they did some in June too. If you get an interview you'll be grouped 7-8 other people to wait and taken on a tour of the medical school and maybe the main university by a current student, usually 2nd or 3rd year. It's a good oppurtunity to ask any questions you have.

The interviews are less confrontational than many other medical school. They're keen to test your communication skills more than anything. My interview lasted maybe 15 minutes and about 10 minutes was spent talking about my Economics A level. Keep yourself calm, ask for a minute to think over questions if you can't answer them and don't panick. They want to see how you cope, the clearer and more confident you appear, the better. The interview panel is usually a 5th year medical student and a member of staff.
Reply 7
sy3dislam
What makes Leicester a good uni to study at compared to the other unis?

Everyone's got their own opinions on what makes a good Medical School. Leicester tend to be more heavy than other universities on communication and the more touchy feely aspect of Medicine, and less about the intricate details. I think this is pretty good in as far as a lot of the detail you would learn becomes useless once you actually begin learning on wards and in your actual career. I believe we got some award from the GMC this year for producing the best graduates, in terms of what they're seeking from new doctors. The downside is if you don't enjoy this kind of thing it can get a bit grating. I personally don't think much of 'reflection' as a tool for learning, but it's forced down our necks, and a lot of people truly benefit.

The course is taught using systems based learning (like most schools) and mixes a bit of PBL with lecture teaching. A normal day would involve 2, 1 hr lectures and 1, 1.5-2hr group work session where you are given case based questions to work through. I like this system as it achieves a good balance between say, Birmingham and Manchester.

There is a Phase 1 (2.5 yrs) and Phase 2 (2 yrs), Phase 1 being all the theory stuff with a little bit of clinical contact, and Phase 2 being 6 week blocks at hospitals learning specific specialties of Medicine. I will be entering Phase 2 in a few weeks, can't wait!
Reply 8
Do you know anything about Maths/Engineering at Leicester. My Brother applied to Engineering and I'm thinking of doing Maths/Engineering, maybe at Leicester...:biggrin:
Reply 9
*MJ*
Do you know anything about Maths/Engineering at Leicester. My Brother applied to Engineering and I'm thinking of doing Maths/Engineering, maybe at Leicester...:biggrin:

lol sorry man, don't know a thing. I know the courses are held in high regard so it wouldn't be a terrible place to do it!
Reply 10
Hello -
I have my interview soon, and I was wondering if I had take take my passport or not? I've left the letter at my dad's house, and can't get access to it. :frown:
Reply 11
Kerjagga
Hello -
I have my interview soon, and I was wondering if I had take take my passport or not? I've left the letter at my dad's house, and can't get access to it. :frown:

Best to phone them and see what they say.
Reply 12
Hi!!!
What can you say about the Leicester as a city? Is it good to live in/study/work?
hi, great idea for a thread :smile: erm im from the south, and have never really been up north midlands wise, so i was wondering if the lifestyle is generally the same or different between the south (near london) and leicester? it looks like a good city with lots to do when i visited it.
Reply 14
You'd probably get a better response in the Leicester Unis forum to those kind of questions really. Personally I think Leicester is decent. Not too big, but not too small. Highscross shopping centre recently opened and it's pretty damn big with a nice selections of shops and restos. The city centre is otherwise relatively small, but you can still find everything you'd need.

Going out is pretty standard, there's 6-7 clubs most people will end up at. It's no Nottingham, Manchster, London etc, but it's better than a lot of other places!

The course has quite a diverse intake, I'd say there's a decent proportion of internationals, and the home students are mostly a mix of Whites and Asians.
what kind of questions can I expect at interview and can u give me some tips plz?
Reply 16
replied to your PM.
Scipio

-How much patient contact do you get at the start?
-Do you mean PBL in the sense that there's little/no supervision or is this small group teaching with a lecturer?
-What is it like living in the halls?
-How did you prepare for your interview and what sort of things came up?
i think thats it for now, but i'd really appreciate it if you could answer these questions:smile:
Reply 18
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
-How much patient contact do you get at the start?
-Do you mean PBL in the sense that there's little/no supervision or is this small group teaching with a lecturer?
-What is it like living in the halls?
-How did you prepare for your interview and what sort of things came up?
i think thats it for now, but i'd really appreciate it if you could answer these questions:smile:

I would say little. The first year there's not much. A course called People and Disease will introduce you to one patient whom you meet several times over phase 1 along with another patient you find yourself in hospital and discuss their (chronic) illness. The end of the course is a 10,000 word dissertation at the end of year 2/over the summer. Besides this mid way through your second year you begin doing one session a week at hospitals with a doctor in which you take patient histories and perform examinations, to ease you into phase two, mid way through the 3rd year from which point it alll becomes hospital based.

I personally feel early heavy patient contact can't be much more than a novelty, you don't know enough to learn or understand many things at that stage. Leicester is massive on the touchy feely communication aspect, and we're known for producing doctors good in this area, so our system certainly doesn't hurt us in that respect.

The PBL (don't call it this if it comes up in interviews) involves 1 or 2 clinical demonstrators per room (usually junior doctors) and 4 groups of 8-9 people. The clin dems usually help out if you get stuck. In the first semester they're keen you try the questions before group work, but this eases up.

Halls at Leicester are much better than most unis, and a newly opened hall (our yr were the first to use it, so you'd be the 4th yr) is very nice (John Foster). The others are also mostly good. They're about 25 mins walk away from the main campus which is a bit of a trek if you don't get a bus pass, but the advantage is the area is a very green and open suburb. Otherwise it's the same as other unis.

I think i just read my personal statement a few times and considered possible questions they could ask from it. In addition i went over general questions like Why Leics, why do you want to be a doctor etc. Most important thing is to stay came and answer confidently.
Scipio
I would say little. The first year there's not much. A course called People and Disease will introduce you to one patient whom you meet several times over phase 1 along with another patient you find yourself in hospital and discuss their (chronic) illness. The end of the course is a 10,000 word dissertation at the end of year 2/over the summer. Besides this mid way through your second year you begin doing one session a week at hospitals with a doctor in which you take patient histories and perform examinations, to ease you into phase two, mid way through the 3rd year from which point it alll becomes hospital based.

I personally feel early heavy patient contact can't be much more than a novelty, you don't know enough to learn or understand many things at that stage. Leicester is massive on the touchy feely communication aspect, and we're known for producing doctors good in this area, so our system certainly doesn't hurt us in that respect.

The PBL (don't call it this if it comes up in interviews) involves 1 or 2 clinical demonstrators per room (usually junior doctors) and 4 groups of 8-9 people. The clin dems usually help out if you get stuck. In the first semester they're keen you try the questions before group work, but this eases up.

Halls at Leicester are much better than most unis, and a newly opened hall (our yr were the first to use it, so you'd be the 4th yr) is very nice (John Foster). The others are also mostly good. They're about 25 mins walk away from the main campus which is a bit of a trek if you don't get a bus pass, but the advantage is the area is a very green and open suburb. Otherwise it's the same as other unis.

I think i just read my personal statement a few times and considered possible questions they could ask from it. In addition i went over general questions like Why Leics, why do you want to be a doctor etc. Most important thing is to stay came and answer confidently.

thankyouuu that was really helpful:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending