The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Law requirements

I got an offer of AAAb from King's to study Law but am a bit worried about the grades.
I got AAAC last year at AS, but am carrying on all four for A2 level.
My predicted grades are AAAA (a bit optimistic) but I'm expecting to get at least AAAC at A2 level or maybe AAAB.
This is probably me just being over-analytical but would they accept those grades in place of AAAb.
Also, they know that I got AAAC at AS, as I put it on my UCAS. Any ideas?
I'm thinking of putting it as my firm choice and was just looking to meet others who will be starting Law in 2009 as well.

EDIT

I just read that back, and thought of course they'd accept AAAB. What I was really looking for was an A2 equivalent to AAAb. Like AAAC or AAAD?
hmm i did IB. i got my offer for law at kings a few days ago. its a conditional offer of 38 points. my predicted was 43 points and my actual IB score was 41. hope this helps?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
You would need to pull the fourth AS upto a B, or if you got an A at A2 in that fourth one, then the B at AS would be able to come from one of the other three subjects, if you see what I mean?

I mean they may let you in if they still have spaces after all of the people who have met their offers have accepted, however it would not be meeting the offer if you don't do as I described above.
that's basically my situation too. Just that, my predicted grades are AAAB, KCL didn't know about my AAAC AS-lvl results and that my KCL offer is only AAA.
Reply 4
If I were you, I would query the offer. If you're doing four A Levels then you can't get AAAb. They should have made you an offer based on 4 A Levels or only 3 A Levels. Ring them up and ask them to verify what they want from you.
Reply 5
pcok
You would need to pull the fourth AS upto a B, or if you got an A at A2 in that fourth one, then the B at AS would be able to come from one of the other three subjects, if you see what I mean?

I mean they may let you in if they still have spaces after all of the people who have met their offers have accepted, however it would not be meeting the offer if you don't do as I described above.

Well i did some resits in January for the one that I got a C in at AS Level, but I aggregated my C at AS. So if the grades I get bring my fourth AS up to a B, will it matter that I already aggregated it at C?
Reply 6
domjl17
Well i did some resits in January for the one that I got a C in at AS Level, but I aggregated my C at AS. So if the grades I get bring my fourth AS up to a B, will it matter that I already aggregated it at C?

That would be fine :smile:
emmings
If I were you, I would query the offer. If you're doing four A Levels then you can't get AAAb. They should have made you an offer based on 4 A Levels or only 3 A Levels. Ring them up and ask them to verify what they want from you.

Yes you can.
Reply 8
simon12345
Yes you can.

How can she get AAAb? Unless there is a fifth AS Level which I've missed? She can get AAAB, thereby exceeding the offer, or she can get AAAC or AAAD which might be the equivalent to AAAb in terms of UCAS points, but the offer isn't made on UCAS points.
emmings
How can she get AAAb? Unless there is a fifth AS Level which I've missed? She can get AAAB, thereby exceeding the offer, or she can get AAAC or AAAD which might be the equivalent to AAAb in terms of UCAS points, but the offer isn't made on UCAS points.

She got AAAC at AS. She can push that 'C' AS up to an 'A' at A-Level, and use one of her other AS grades as the b.

Or she can re-take a module in the 'C' grade AS.
Reply 10
simon12345
She got AAAC at AS. She can push that 'C' AS up to an 'A' at A-Level, and use one of her other AS grades as the b.

Or she can re-take a module in the 'C' grade AS.

But she's doing all four to A2! On results day she won't have any AS Levels on her certificates - she'll have four A2s. So as I said above, she can either exceed the offer by getting AAAA or AAAB, or she can fall short of it by getting AAAC.

I think it's still likely that they'd let her in with AAAC. But I just think it's very sloppy to make an offer based on 3 A2s and 1 AS when the candidate is clearly doing 4 A2s.
emmings
But she's doing all four to A2! On results day she won't have any AS Levels on her certificates - she'll have four A2s. So as I said above, she can either exceed the offer by getting AAAA or AAAB, or she can fall short of it by getting AAAC.

I think it's still likely that they'd let her in with AAAC. But I just think it's very sloppy to make an offer based on 3 A2s and 1 AS when the candidate is clearly doing 4 A2s.

That's irrelevant. Mod 1, 2 + 3 = AS grade. Yes she'll have four A2s, but she'll also have 4 AS grades (what she achieved in her first year at college).

And how do you know that she hasn't got her AS certificates anyway?
Reply 12
simon12345
That's irrelevant. Mod 1, 2 + 3 = AS grade. Yes she'll have four A2s, but she'll also have 4 AS grades (what she achieved in her first year at college).

And how do you know that she hasn't got her AS certificates anyway?

Even if you cash in your AS Levels and get certificates, they don't mean anything if you take them to A2 ... you don't have 4 A Levels and 4 AS Levels at the end of it all ... you just have 4 A Levels!!

Can't be arsed to argue the point with you anymore, it's really just a technicality, but as I said I think it's sloppy and the OP should seek to clarify it with KCL.
emmings
Even if you cash in your AS Levels and get certificates, they don't mean anything if you take them to A2 ... you don't have 4 A Levels and 4 AS Levels at the end of it all ... you just have 4 A Levels!!

Can't be arsed to argue the point with you anymore, it's really just a technicality, but as I said I think it's sloppy and the OP should seek to clarify it with KCL.

Yeah obviously, but when someone says 'what did you get at AS?' what are you going to say? .. err I only got A2 .. no. If the offer is for AAAb, then that's what she needs to get. 'Technically' it is is possible to get a fourth AS at grade 'B' and therefore meet her offer. :rolleyes:

Yes the OP should probably clarify it just to make sure, but it is possible to meet the offer which she has been given.
Reply 14
Ok, thanks for all your input guys. Just to clarify, I'm a boy, but yeah, thanks again!
Reply 15
the standard offer for EVERYONE is AAAb or equivalent so they won't adjust it based on how many A Levels or what you have, for example I got AAAA at AS and so clearly met the B, but the offer was still AAAb. I think if you got AAAC A Level they would accept it, AAAB definitely. AAAD i am not sure about though, as its not UCAS points we cannot determine their opinion on its equivalence. I am going there as well though btw lool

Latest