The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Is it a university question or an Alevel question?
Reply 2
FadedJade
Is it a university question or an Alevel question?

AS question.
Reply 3
What I have so far

Should tolerant people never say anything to cause offence?

Tolerance in general is not liking a person's belief or stance but you do however respect or tolerate the belief because you know that your own beliefs are important to you. It's a sense of empathy (despite the fact that you don't agree with this belief).

So to go back to the main question we have to know whether causing offence to a person would make you less tolerant, or not tolerant at all. But first what is defined as offence? Is it racial hatred or a criticism of a belief or practice? Let's assume it's a criticism. Some would say that causing offence to a person would not make you intolerant. For instance, would you want a person offending your beliefs? Because technically when you are offending a person you are opening a gateway for people to offend your beliefs. Many who carry this belief would give you this scenario:

Mr A is walking down the street. He is a Labour voter and has been all his life. He bumps into Mr B who is a Tory voter. They have a chat and Mr A says the following: "I don't agree with your opinions on the economy but I respect your right to believe them and to express those views however you want." They (people who follow this opinion) conclude that tolerance is a form of respect and in order to preserve your own beliefs you should not cause offence to people who have opposing views. Surely being tolerant is allowing a belief because you have your own beliefs which matter to you as much as they matter to others?

I need to get good points for the opposition.
Reply 4
Ok well I've moved this to the correct forum. I'll try and reply in the morning :smile:
Reply 5
This might be interesting.
Reply 6
I don't think you should tolerate intolerance.

Probably not helpful. :redface:
Start by arguing that the question is meaningless. Why is the word "tolerant" even in there? If people should/n't do that then they should/n't regardless of whether or not they are tolerant. The one fact that this person is tolerant, or not tolerant, does not change the value judgment.

Latest

Trending

Trending