The Student Room Group

why are white parents afraid of their kids?

i've never heard of white parents hitting their kids. other ethnicities such as blacks, asians - the parents kick the crap out of their kids if they wanted to. black comics such as David Chappelle, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy have mentioned this in their routine. Why is this though? For example, if a child wanted to change religion, which is a big matter, white parents might not agree but at the end say "well, if it makes you happy", while other parents such as blacks, the child has to put up a pretty big fight. if white parents wanna hit their child, the child says something like "im gonna call the social sevices" or "im gonna run away", so the parents get scared and stop, while if the child says that to black or other ethnic parents, they reply "call them!" or "theres the door, gtfo!".

edit: when i was little, my mother used to hit me with the a big wooden spoon and also hangers, while my dad used the belt. however, when i said this to my white friend, he was like "WHAT! OMFG my parents wont dare to lay a finger on me".

Scroll to see replies

You haven't met all white parents out there!
Reply 2
Nope, white people just don't hit their kids out of principle, not out of fear (btw, these are huge generalisations). My parents wouldn't hit me no matter what (apart from if I hit them maybe), it is just a cultural thing. My parents are defenately not afraid of me btw.
Havent noticed anything like that
Don't think thats true, my mum wouldn't give a **** if i said 'i'm gonna run away' or 'call the social services..
Reply 5
My mum would smack the living daylights out of me as a child if i did something wrong. I deserved it. I wouldn't have dared ring the social services.

I'm white.
Cultural differences I suppose. Most white parents (and I certainly know many who hit their kids) grew up in a more liberal culture I guess.
Reply 7
it is true to a certain extent i dont know any white children who get hit by their parents.......
It's not fear, it's not treating your kids like a piece of propriety. There are ways to be strict without hitting kids. And besides, not all white parents are like that.
My Mum gave me a slapped arse when i deserved it - I come from a white family and my Mums most definitely not scared of me... some nice racial stereotyping there. And us "whites" get hell for doing it...
Reply 10
My black mum would hit me if I was being an asshole and deserved it but my white dad never would...So you could get away with anything when left alone wit him lol
Reply 11
Prokaryotic_crap
i've never heard of white parents hitting their kids. other ethnicities such as blacks, asians - the parents kick the crap out of their kids if they wanted to. black comics such as David Chappelle, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy have mentioned this in their routine. Why is this though? For example, if a child wanted to change religion, which is a big matter, white parents might not agree but at the end say "well, if it makes you happy", while other parents such as blacks, the child has to put up a pretty big fight. if white parents wanna hit their child, the child says something like "im gonna call the social sevices" or "im gonna run away", so the parents get scared and stop, while if the child says that to black or other ethnic parents, they reply "call them!" or "theres the door, gtfo!".

edit: when i was little, my mother used to hit me with the a big wooden spoon and also hangers, while my dad used the belt. however, when i said this to my white friend, he was like "WHAT! OMFG my parents wont dare to lay a finger on me".

Very true, i know someone who this has happened to. Ethnic parents also threaten to have their kids sent back to their native country - and i actually know someone who this happened to :biggrin:
It's more of a class difference than a racial one.
Reply 14
I rememeber the good old days when they told me to gtfo out or shut up.

still do..
Oladz
Very true, i know someone who this has happened to. Ethnic parents also threaten to have their kids sent back to their native country - and i actually know someone who this happened to :biggrin:

its called being "shipped back" lol. dont know why though. i know alot of people who got "shipped back".
Reply 16
i think you're too focused on ethnicity!
Heh. I'm white. And whilst I love and respect him, I'd never cross my father. He is certainly not "afraid" of me.
Reply 18
FyreFight
It's more of a class difference than a racial one.

Yep, was just about to say this. At least as far as 'white' parents are concerned.

However, class doesn't usually come into it when it comes to other ethnicities... and I wonder why that is. Probably boils down to class again, actually - i.e. what happened in their families in previous generations...

The vast majority of parents aren't scared of their children, regardless of race (I'd have thought).
Reply 19
Prokaryotic_crap
its called being "shipped back" lol. dont know why though. i know alot of people who got "shipped back".

lol, yeah, its always quite worrying when you hear its happened to someone you know, it makes you wonder whether your parents would to it to you :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending