The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My white mum would hit me on occasion, and so would my black dad. I think it was a good idea and I probably deserved it. Some kids need a good slap. I do know what you mean about parents being afraid of their kids. My little sister has a friend who is from a rich white middle class family, and she threatens to run away from home,kill herself, bites her mum, demands the master bedroom in a new house. Around where I live there are loads of people like that mostly nouveau riche people who have a lot of money but don't have a clue.
I don't agree with this, it might vary between cultures as child protection is monitored more heavily in some than others but i doubt race has any effect on violence toward children. Much more likely nurture than nature i.e. own upbringing, social climate etc.
Reply 202
Prokaryotic_crap
i've never heard of white parents hitting their kids. other ethnicities such as blacks, asians - the parents kick the crap out of their kids if they wanted to. black comics such as David Chappelle, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy have mentioned this in their routine. Why is this though? For example, if a child wanted to change religion, which is a big matter, white parents might not agree but at the end say "well, if it makes you happy", while other parents such as blacks, the child has to put up a pretty big fight. if white parents wanna hit their child, the child says something like "im gonna call the social sevices" or "im gonna run away", so the parents get scared and stop, while if the child says that to black or other ethnic parents, they reply "call them!" or "theres the door, gtfo!".

edit: when i was little, my mother used to hit me with the a big wooden spoon and also hangers, while my dad used the belt. however, when i said this to my white friend, he was like "WHAT! OMFG my parents wont dare to lay a finger on me".

Most white people are fools. Then again, most people in general are fools, whatever race you are, so that's perfectly normal. I'm white, and the exception. :wink:
Reply 203
bright-eyes
:confused: That's the first I've heard of it... unless you mean he is Trinidadian like Alfonso Ribeiro? :dontknow:

Oh I keep on confusing these two comedians!:eek: Dave chapelle and Peter Russel.
Peter Russel is canadian of indian origin. I saw a video of peter russel talking about white parents not beating their kids so I thought the OP was talking about him and not Dave chapelle.
I love how people's ignorance is shown on a thread like this.
Reply 205

It's mostly with the chav families.
Quite a sweeping statement really.
I was smacked now and again as a child. But by no means was I "beaten".
I think a smack now and again does a child good, nothing quite says it like a brisk tap on the bum.

And my parents were not and still aren't afraid of me. Any child-parent relationship where the parent is afraid of the child is a bit of a failure IMO.
Russell Peters said something about beating your kids.

"ohhhhh is that right? well let me get you the phone tough guy"
"but dad if i call children's aid you'll get into trouble"
"i might get into a little bit of trouble but i know it will take them 23 minutes to get here. in that time SOMEBODY GONNA GET A HURT REAL BAD"

lmao
My parents aren't afraid of me... I'm more afraid of them.
Damn, I feel like a spider.
I guess its just a social thing, and to do with different cultures i.e. If I misbehaved, my dad brought out the belt/ruler/palm and let rip because that's what happened to him back in Jamaica when he was a child. However I don't remember anything like that happening to any of my white friends. At most they would probably have gotten a smack on the bum, which is nothing really.
if you deserve it u need a smack otherwise wtf is the point?
why is a change religion a big deal
"Somebody gonna get a hurt real bad..."
Reply 213
because they could change skin colour ^^
Dionysus
I'm white and I was smacked pretty hard sometimes when I was a kid. It was only on the bum, but it wasn't just a quick tap, it was a proper smacking until I cried. I never got belted or anything, though.. It's certainly true that there are cultural differences in how this is applied.

I think there's a prominent place for 'modern' parenting methods as the first line of discipline, time-out, naughty step etc, but I also think for serious misbehaviour the threat of getting smacked works, and is sometimes a valid option. It shouldn't involve belts etc though, I don't think that's ever necessary.

I completely agree :yep: and to be honest the whole belt, if anything, simply made me more resentful towards my dad, he put the fear of God in me if anything else instead of making me feel remorseful :rolleyes:
Because thats not how most of us do things in england.

Latest

Trending

Trending