The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20

i was thinking exactly the same thing
Reply 21
Prokaryotic_crap
i've never heard of white parents hitting their kids. other ethnicities such as blacks, asians - the parents kick the crap out of their kids if they wanted to. black comics such as David Chappelle, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy have mentioned this in their routine. Why is this though? For example, if a child wanted to change religion, which is a big matter, white parents might not agree but at the end say "well, if it makes you happy", while other parents such as blacks, the child has to put up a pretty big fight. if white parents wanna hit their child, the child says something like "im gonna call the social sevices" or "im gonna run away", so the parents get scared and stop, while if the child says that to black or other ethnic parents, they reply "call them!" or "theres the door, gtfo!".

edit: when i was little, my mother used to hit me with the a big wooden spoon and also hangers, while my dad used the belt. however, when i said this to my white friend, he was like "WHAT! OMFG my parents wont dare to lay a finger on me".

Lmao the " they reply "call them!" " reminded me of a conversation i was having with my mom (lightheartedly). It's not white parents, its English parents, who have no ****s as they cant bring their children up properly so all they do is argue back, swear at u and hit back. the parents become scared as they kno they cannot control the child, whereas other cultures (including eastern europe - i would know lol) bring up their children with a different morale: you are the child so must do as you are told.

Luckily ^o) (haha) my mom hardly lets me get away with anything and i would not dare to swear at her (to her face) or hit her back :/, whereas some of my friends tell their parent to **** off and all the parents do is laugh it off :O. I think a good slap is in order.. but nooo its against blah blah laws. What is wrong with children a good slap when theyre a naughty lil *** and really do derserve it? Dont get me wrong im not encouraging child cruelty - being a teenager myself, but when a spoilt little brat is having a tantrum about not being allowed a 4th bar of chocolate there has to be a stop.

Lol
I'm Yemen and African and my parents have never touched me. I think its down to culture and Traditions.
Maybe my parents are weird, but they once told me they would get the social services to take me away lol
Reply 23
Dont kid yourself.
There's nothing wrong with beating a kid to instill disciplin.

I got caned when I was a kid + I turned out alright.
Reply 24
I"m white and used to get smacked by both of my parents if I did something wrong. I didnt threaten to call social services though, I just threatened to run away and live with my auntie to which my mother often said " Go on then". I dont smack my own kids though as I feel there are other ways of punishing them, ie taking away their xbox, pocket money.
Oladz
Very true, i know someone who this has happened to. Ethnic parents also threaten to have their kids sent back to their native country - and i actually know someone who this happened to :biggrin:

I know someone who got sent back as well. It scared me into behaving for about two weeks..
Reply 26
I have massive suspicisions of anyone who 'disciplines' (yeah right, pervo) their kids by smacking their arse - to me that's just super-freaking-uber-CREEPY! or at least it is once they get past a certain age, maybe like 9 or so, after that it changes context dramatically.

however I have no problem with them giving them the occassional clip 'round the ear or slap 'round the face when it's genuinely deserved.
Ratsr
Social Services treat kids differently based upon their parents culture. Many people who don't know about this, and just think it doesn't happen because it shouldn't happen are going to moan or -ve me but w/e.

can you elaborate on that? dont quite understand
Reply 28
they can controll us with words? plus nowadays they know id beat the crap out of them (not that i would) and that hitting me would have no effect. Plus, i give them no reason to hit me.
pink_cait
My mum would smack the living daylights out of me as a child if i did something wrong. I deserved it. I wouldn't have dared ring the social services.

I'm white.

Do you actually deserve it? Many parents often use corporal punishment too leniently for trivial matters and being a kid you are not always completely aware of the consequences. You wouldn't tolerate domestic violence, so why is tolerating and accepting violence against children deemed okay?
I'm black and my parents have not beat me up black and blue! . . :confused: When I was a child, yes I was punished, ie slapped, but not beaten up or anything extreme.

I kinda get where you are coming from though . . . . children of Caucasian race, do not get enough discipline IMO.

However my friend who is white, use to get a good biffing from her parents for being naughty/rude.

So I guess it does happen, but not enough perhaps? . . :dontknow:
Reply 31
White parents don't beat their kids enough.

Referring to Russell Peters: YOUTUBE LINK
Prokaryotic_crap
its called being "shipped back" lol. dont know why though. i know alot of people who got "shipped back".

HA! A guy I used to know got shipped back to Italy because his mum had had enough. It wasn't even Italy, it was a tiny island just off Italy where there was nothing to do but farm!

ARGH there are some kids I'd like to beat myself, like when you're in the supermarket, and there's a kid lying face down on the floor, howling because it knows that if it stays theer for long enough, Mummy will buy the candyfloss, popcorn and 7 bars of chocolate little Tommy so desires.......
I would have never dared to do that as a kid, because I'd simply fear the words "Wait until you get home, then I'll give you something to cry about." That's why I never threw silly tantrums :smile:

I don't think it's a class thing either. I'm middle class, my parents are both professionals, and my mum would still give me a good beating if I was getting out of line. I think it's down to culture, as I don't know a single Arab (or Latino, or African, or West Indian........) who has never been hit by their parents.

Also, I know a white guy whose mum used to hit him when he was getting out of line, so it's not all of them! However, he is the only white guy I know whose mother used to hit him.........
Reply 33
Ah I was having this discussion quite recently (about hitting your kids).
In no way do I condemn abuse, or using violence regularly, but sometimes I think it's good to slap the child if they deserve it. Obviously people have different views on what 'deserve' is. I don't think the child should be put through lots of pain, but just a little shock to let them understand (that makes me sound a little crazy, but I'm not :p: )

I hate it when parents just talk to their children and let the child walk all over them :mad:
I was hit for misbehaving, and i still get a scary ********** from my dad if i act cocky.
Reply 35
thats just a generelisation on ethnicities
im asian (pakistani/indian) and my parents never hit me or tell me to gtfo if i argue with them about religion and stuff
(bearing in mind that my mum and my dad are quite religous)
n i know about some of my friends parents (who are white) who completely flip out about that kind of stuff

so, no, keep race and ethnicity out of it
i think its got more to do with class difference and just the way your parents were broguht up
Reply 36
DancinBallerina
I'm black and my parents have not beat me up black and blue! . . :confused: When I was a child, yes I was punished, ie slapped, but not beaten up or anything extreme.

I kinda get where you are coming from though . . . . children of Caucasian race, do not get enough discipline IMO.

However my friend who is white, use to get a good biffing from her parents for being naughty/rude.

So I guess it does happen, but not enough perhaps? . . :dontknow:

What do you mean by that?
:sigh: For Gods sake, you blatantly haven't met all white parents out there.
Hushhhh.
My parents whacked me a couple of times. Now I'm older I bring it up in the pub in front of their friends. Once I got five free sambucca shots out of it. ; )
Fusion
What do you mean by that?

Well when I was growing up, I was disciplined if i was naughty, ie slapped and tbh it has worked - im not rude, a chav, a delinquent juvenile and so forth, im a nice pleasant person with manners, which some Caucasian people (I have seen) lack. I remember when I was round a friends house and her brother spat in my face and on my clothes, what did the parents do? bugger all!

I don't know if its because coming from Jamaican family (who run things completely and utterly differently) has impacted on the way I have brought up or what, but there is a significant lack of discipline IMO i have noticed over the years of growing up and in public places and so forth from some Caucasian people.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I am just talking from what I have seen and witnessed.

Latest

Trending

Trending