The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You need to stop believing what you see stand up comedians say. They are there to provide entertainment. While what they say may have an element of truth in it, it is hugely exacerbated in order to make it funny.

Being hit by belts and hangers? That's not at all normal in any culture.
Reply 41
People hit their children when they're too stupid to explain what the child did wrong, or have no authority over their kids because they never taught them right (so my gran would say, who by the way despairs over todays youth). She despairs because she hears mum's screeching at their kids instead of giving off authority. So ner.
Reply 42
Prokaryotic_crap
i've never heard of white parents hitting their kids. other ethnicities such as blacks, asians - the parents kick the crap out of their kids if they wanted to. black comics such as David Chappelle, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy have mentioned this in their routine. Why is this though? For example, if a child wanted to change religion, which is a big matter, white parents might not agree but at the end say "well, if it makes you happy", while other parents such as blacks, the child has to put up a pretty big fight. if white parents wanna hit their child, the child says something like "im gonna call the social sevices" or "im gonna run away", so the parents get scared and stop, while if the child says that to black or other ethnic parents, they reply "call them!" or "theres the door, gtfo!".

edit: when i was little, my mother used to hit me with the a big wooden spoon and also hangers, while my dad used the belt. however, when i said this to my white friend, he was like "WHAT! OMFG my parents wont dare to lay a finger on me".

my dad used to beat the **** out of me.

and i'm white.

but when i was young, i certainly didn't go out of the way to air my family's dirty laundry.....my dad would have only beat on me more, and it's not like foster care is any better.

i generally don't tell people unless it comes up, anyway.
Reply 43
David chappelle is not black, he's of indian origin.
Western Europeans and North americans can't hit their kids. Eastern Europeans however do beat the crap out of thier kids. Hmm i think it's down to laws in Modern european countries. Both are whites but ones do and ones don't. so it's not so much to do with class. Besides in the 40s 30s 50s 60s and probably upto the 80s and the time before that white parents used to beat their kids. where was the class then? hmm or maybe they "evolved" in that time
Its to do with cultural differences rather than race
NoHands
they can controll us with words? plus nowadays they know id beat the crap out of them (not that i would) and that hitting me would have no effect. Plus, i give them no reason to hit me.

they are your parent, have some respect. I'd never lift a finger on my parents. they can hit me all they want, especially my mother. nothing you feel is equal to what she felt during the nine months she carried you.
Reply 46
Prokaryotic_crap
i've never heard of white parents hitting their kids. other ethnicities such as blacks, asians - the parents kick the crap out of their kids if they wanted to. black comics such as David Chappelle, Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy have mentioned this in their routine. Why is this though? For example, if a child wanted to change religion, which is a big matter, white parents might not agree but at the end say "well, if it makes you happy", while other parents such as blacks, the child has to put up a pretty big fight. if white parents wanna hit their child, the child says something like "im gonna call the social sevices" or "im gonna run away", so the parents get scared and stop, while if the child says that to black or other ethnic parents, they reply "call them!" or "theres the door, gtfo!".

edit: when i was little, my mother used to hit me with the a big wooden spoon and also hangers, while my dad used the belt. however, when i said this to my white friend, he was like "WHAT! OMFG my parents wont dare to lay a finger on me".

What a huge generalisation.
Reply 47
Major Awesome
I was hit for misbehaving, and i still get a scary ********** from my dad if i act cocky.

same, it's terrible.

i hate my father, and i'm still deathly terrified of him when he's angry.

**** my mother for not leaving the bastard. did she think beating kids black and blue was normal?
DancinBallerina
Well when I was growing up, I was disciplined if i was naughty, ie slapped and tbh it has worked

slapped?!

try having a chair dashed at you head

edit: or a sauce pan, cup, shoe, phone etc anything lying around
Reply 49
DancinBallerina
Well when I was growing up, I was disciplined if i was naughty, ie slapped and tbh it has worked - im not rude, a chav, a delinquent juvenile and so forth, im a nice pleasant person with manners, which some Caucasian people (I have seen) lack. I remember when I was round a friends house and her brother spat in my face and on my clothes, what did the parents do? bugger all!

I don't know if its because coming from Jamaican family (who run things completely and utterly differently) has impacted on the way I have brought up or what, but there is a significant lack of discipline IMO i have noticed over the years of growing up and in public places and so forth from some Caucasian people.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, but I am just talking from what I have seen and witnessed.

From my experience Caribbean parents are quite lax towards their kids. I recall in school many times when they stood firm against the teachers criticism of their child's behaviour as if they could do no wrong, even so far as getting violent towards the teacher in some cases.

Me personally, I used to get whipped by a wet tea towel if I crossed the line
Gazule
What a huge generalisation.

agreed!

I'm African AND Caribbean never once I was hit I turned out well (no criminal record, never smoked, 3rd uni student...) and was well disciplined.

I'd never hit my children. It doesn't makes sense to me.
Reply 51
Danielle89
My Mum gave me a slapped arse when i deserved it - I come from a white family and my Mums most definitely not scared of me... some nice racial stereotyping there. And us "whites" get hell for doing it...

Same lol.
Reply 52
my dad never hit me EVER but he intimidated me so much just by shouting at me i nearly pissed myself.

Im arab.
Reply 53
Too many white parents actually do hit their children. However, civilised and proper parents do not need to do it. There are lots and lots of other ways to punish, ie ground, suspend allowance, etc etc.
Fusion
From my experience Caribbean parents are quite lax towards their kids. I recall in school many times when they stood firm against the teachers criticism of their child's behaviour. Even so far as getting violent in some cases.

Tbh - it just various from parents to parents . . .but the majority of Caucasian children are not disciplined enough IMO. Im not suggesting that parents should start whipping their children and etc, but when a child does wrong or behaves wrong and the parent(s) know this, they should discipline.

Another good example of this is swearing at parents - you think I could tell my mum and dad **** off and get away with it? . . .NOWAY! that is just soooo rude, but I have heard my Caucasian friends say it and their parents do bugger all! :s-smilie:
Fusion
From my experience Caribbean parents are quite lax towards their kids. I recall in school many times when they stood firm against the teachers criticism of their child's behaviour as if they could do no wrong, even so far as getting violent towards the teacher in some cases.

classic - my dads favourite one (on my sis)

for me, the belt (whipped + metal part dashed ony my head - that was like the signature move lol)
Prokaryotic_crap
slapped?!

try having a chair dashed at you head

edit: or a sauce pan, cup, shoe, phone etc anything lying around

Nah my parents aren't that nuts . . .just disciplined me and my brother in a proper manner.

Sowee to hear you had objects thrown at you. :confused:
once i had my knuckles on my right hand burnt by my mother back when i was in Yemen for stealing (cant remember what)
Reply 58
Prokaryotic_crap

That is called comedy. You know, that means talking ******** on stage to make people laugh.

As to white parents being afraid of their kids: it's not the kids they're scared of it's the Authorities*. If they're found to have given their child the smacking it deserved, they're chastized themselves. Plebs, the lot of them.

*please not my Sarcastic Capitalization.
epoxi
White parents don't beat their kids enough.

Referring to Russell Peters: YOUTUBE LINK

Somebody's gonna get hurt real bad! :rofl: He picks up all the stereotypes.

Beat your kids, you don't want them to be social outcasts.

Latest

Trending

Trending