The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Amit92

I heard they favour students from a middle/upper-class background? Also private schools/colleges than state ones?

There are a disproportionate number of privately schooled students at Oxbridge, and therefore a relatively high proportion of middle/upper class students. This is not a result of any preference by the universities (although it may once have been). Indeed, both Oxford and Cambridge actively encourage state school applications and may consider a student's background in terms of their future potential.

I went to an independant Church school, and am from an upper-middle class background. My friends at Cambridge range from Old Etonians to people from failing comprehensives to people from military schools, and they're all very nice people :smile:
Reply 2
Upper-class and middle-class are very different. Upper-class is usually reserved for people with titles and stately homes.
Reply 3
Nonsmoking
There are a disproportionate number of privately schooled students at Oxbridge, and therefore a relatively high proportion of middle/upper class students. This is not a result of any preference by the universities (although it may once have been). Indeed, both Oxford and Cambridge actively encourage state school applications and may consider a student's background in terms of their future potential.

I went to an independant Church school, and am from an upper-middle class background. My friends at Cambridge range from Old Etonians to people from failing comprehensives to people from military schools, and they're all very nice people :smile:

Thanks :biggrin:, 5 students from my college have got offers from Oxbridge..I think they are all from working-class backgrounds.
Reply 4
Think this would work better as public/private schools, theres a huge difference in what many people consider "middle class".
jimber
Think this would work better as public/private schools, theres a huge difference in what many people consider "middle class".

Yeah, but anyone would be better off looking at admissions stastics than doing a poll.
Reply 6
Upper/Middle Class is basically you A/B/C1 workers and Working class is C2/D/E to me in the social class table.
Amit92
Upper/Middle Class is basically you A/B/C1 workers and Working class is C2/D/E to me in the social class table.

That's not the same though

Upper class to me is landed gentry, lords, nobles etc
Reply 8
Andy the Anarchist

Ahh ok, I will keep it to Working class & Middle class then.
Reply 9
Andy the Anarchist

The middle class have to work for their money (regardless of arguments about whether they work more or less hard e.t.c.) the upper classes do not (although they might work to increase it), that's my take on the matter.

amit92
Hey,

I was just wondering if you Oxford & Cambridge students were from a working-class or middle/upper-class background?

I heard they favour students from a middle/upper-class background? Also private schools/colleges than state ones?

Thanks

Amit

A self-selecting poll on an internet forum will tell you absolutely nothing.

As people have already said the universities do not favour people from better off backgrounds.
Reply 10
Andy the Anarchist

To you. And therein lies the problem as regards classification.
Reply 11
Amit92

Class is not necessarily denoted by what job you do. As another poster said, Lords and Ladies probably don't have jobs but they're still upper class.

And where would you put professions like builders and plumbers - are they what you refer to as 'C2/D/E' professions because some of these will be earning the same amount of money as a solicitor or a teacher.
Reply 12
amelie1
Class is not necessarily denoted by what job you do. As another poster said, Lords and Ladies probably don't have jobs but they're still upper class.

And where would you put professions like builders and plumbers - are they what you refer to as 'C2/D/E' professions because some of these will be earning the same amount of money as a solicitor or a teacher.

And NOW we gt on to the difference between socio- and economic :smile:
Reply 13
amelie1

This.

The class system in the UK is extremely different to that of the USA.

In the USA, profession and income will usually equal class. In the UK title and fixed assets usually denote class. There are plenty of nobles who have massive stately homes, yet have no jobs or regular income.
I'm from the arse end of chav-ville, I somehow got in on my personality at interview :cool:
Reply 15
EducatingBrogan
I'm from the arse end of chav-ville, I somehow got in on my personality at interview :cool:

And your amazing intelligence?
Reply 16
I am at Cambridge and I would certainly self-identify working class; my father actually has to work at Deutsche Bank, and blasted frugal mother only gave me £2000 to spend in Jack Wills and Ryder and Amies when I first arrived in this blasted hole. If only the idle rich knew...
WoWZa
And your amazing intelligence?

Nahhh. I'm an English student. We just need to come up with strange theories and have outlandish imaginations :wink:
Reply 18
EducatingBrogan

It was probably the character building nature of the tentacle monsters found in the Arkham area.
Teebs
It was probably the character building nature of the tentacle monsters found in the Arkham area.

Hah, if I really lived in Arkham Asylum I'd have worse to deal with than a few tentacles.

Latest

Trending

Trending