The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anna_spanner89
I was on about my med studenty friends- all seem to out do each other. Eg who got the better a-levels, work experience, offers, who's done the most reading..etc

I know a couple of people like that, but whenever they start up with the "I got..." **** we all normally just walk off
Reply 41
anna_spanner89
I was on about my med studenty friends- all seem to out do each other. Eg who got the better a-levels, work experience, offers, who's done the most reading..etc

Those guys are actually *****...No one likes them
Reply 42
anna_spanner89
having friends who are med students- i'd say competition from your colleagues, especially when studying. All seem to try and out do each other..or lick up to their mentors. Where as nurses, we all seem to put ourselves down, eg who has done the least work lol

You have friends that are med students? :confused:
Sarky
You have friends that are med students? :confused:

:rofl: :five:
Reply 44
Some clinical medical students can be absolute arsewipes. But I don't like any of them and I know my friends don't either.

Everyone that asks me my A level grades gets told that I got E's. I can't be bothered with all that rubbish. If we got in then we're in. Do you want to know my SATS results too?
Sarky
Some clinical medical students can be absolute arsewipes.

Is that a minority though?
Reply 46
in a cambridge varsity study, it was seen that medics get the most sexual action. Does this mean they are the most social people there are and how do they fit the best social life into their busy lifestyle? WH,PH?
alpha3
Does this mean they are the most social people there are and how do they fit the best social life into their busy lifestyle? WH,PH?

It means they are the sexiest people there :hubba:
Reply 48
Alex L
Is that a minority though?

From what I can tell yes. But 10% is still a minority but thats 30 people or so. Even a minority can be annoying. And it doesn't matter if its only one person if you are on a firm where there are two or three of you. Lectures are different, you just keep away from the idiots. But when you have no choice but to work with them and they keep trying to screw you over it makes things stressful.
Sarky
From what I can tell yes. But 10% is still a minority but thats 30 people or so. Even a minority can be annoying. And it doesn't matter if its only one person if you are on a firm where there are two or three of you. Lectures are different, you just keep away from the idiots. But when you have no choice but to work with them and they keep trying to screw you over it makes things stressful.

Fair point. I still have all this to look forward to :tongue:
Reply 50
Sarky

You're a medicine student, yes?
Reply 51
reems23

Yes thats right. I am a student made of medicine. I'd like to be made of calpol because it used to taste yummy :tongue:

I am indeed.
reems23

5th (?) year Soton IIRC
I wish they made adult dosage Calpol, my life would be complete :yep:
Worst thing I've experienced is not being able to admit to staff and students within the faculty that you think you are depressed without being frowned upon and judged. Not the kind of treatment you'd expect from a uni which promotes empathy and patience towards other people.
Reply 55
Alex L
5th (?) year Soton IIRC

Yep although i'm not there this year and my course will be 7 years in all. And they do make adult doses of calpol. Isn't it just 4 bottles of the kiddy stuff? (Don't try this at home people).

Heartbroken9
Worst thing I've experienced is not being able to admit to staff and students within the faculty that you think you are depressed without being frowned upon and judged. Not the kind of treatment you'd expect from a uni which promotes empathy and patience towards other people.

Thats not good. I have to say that Southampton have been great when i've had medical problems. They've gone out of their way to help me.
Reply 56
alpha3
in a cambridge varsity study, it was seen that medics get the most sexual action. Does this mean they are the most social people there are and how do they fit the best social life into their busy lifestyle? WH,PH?

Varsity surveys tend to be a load of crap. The sex one was a particularly shining example (though recently outdone by their money one). I haven't noticed my medic friends being particularly more or less promiscuous than people doing other subjects - and I'm certainly not! They are in general a social bunch, yes (though there are many exceptions) but given everyone in Cambridge works pretty damn hard, I don't think they stand out for playing harder than anyone else!

As for those of you worrying about competitiveness at clinical school, it's not like everyone suddenly turns into a backstabbing psychopath or anything. Just a few people who were kept quiet up till now by being in primarily large group teaching will suddenly be let loose on the unsuspecting public and other students will notice their pushiness more.
Reply 57
can you go into medicine just for the prestige, money, dr status etc, or will it be pointless if you dont truly want to make a difference?
Reply 58
if you go into medicine with that attitude (not saying you have that attitude just mean in general) then you probably won't pass the first year of medicine, unless you are really really clever and dont need to put hours and hours into studying
*Stargirl*
if you go into medicine with that attitude (not saying you have that attitude just mean in general) then you probably won't pass the first year of medicine, unless you are really really clever and dont need to put hours and hours into studying

You could easily pass the first year, the first test of commitment will probably come during clinical years, but I'm sure they could be managed too, you'd just have quite a miserable time of it

Latest

Trending

Trending