The Student Room Group

portfolio advice/reviews

Hi there,

I'm not sure whether this has been dealt with somewhere else before. If theres a better thread for it please refer me.

I'm thinking of applying to CSM and Chelsea (and maybe on a good day slade) and I'd like to get some feedback on my work. I live in Trinidad and more or less work in a vacuum in terms of getting useful feedback down here. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm not sure of which "direction" to take it.

I've been fortunate enough to have two artists whose work I like offer to look at my work for me but I don't want to go and have them be like *spit* "I have a show at the Tate/MoMA to get to, thanks for wasting my time."

Most of the stuff I have at the moment are small studies, not many finished, large works. ALL feedback is appreciated.

so here it goes
http://flickr.com/photos/33871914@N03/sets/72157611978525249/show/

Thanks in advance.
^_^
Reply 1
Hi,
I quite like your work reminds me of Anthony Goicolea. I particularly like the first couple of pieces. You've definitely got enough work its just that you don't seem to have any sustained/life drawing which is essential. :yes: I suggest you do put in about three life drawing maybe 3 sustained Other than that you should be fine. If they have offered to look at your work then its worth letting them they'll just give you constructive criticism like I have. :biggrin:
Just remember to start with a great piece and end with a great one.
I don't know anything about the Slade but I've applied to Chelsea so I have a few ideas about the sort of work you produce.
BTW theres not really much point in you applying to CSM and Chelsea as they get filled on their first place applicants. :eek:
GOOD LUCK
xoxo
Reply 2
Hey,
thanks for responding. two questions:

what are sustained drawings?
What do you mean first place applicants. The people who applied earliest, even for foundation?

the prospectus said i had until june *weep* chelsea was my first choice school :frown:

Oh, one more question: what's the difference between CSM and Chelsea in terms of the work they produce?
I've been getting the impression that CSM is slightly more design oriented (fashion, communications etc) while Chelsea seems more of a "fine art" school but that's based purely on speculation.

thanks again
hope im not asking too many questions
:biggrin:
Reply 3
stantontaylor
Hey,
1.the prospectus said i had until june *weep* chelsea was my first choice school :frown:

2.Oh, one more question: what's the difference between CSM and Chelsea in terms of the work they produce?

:biggrin:

3.what are sustained drawings?
What do you mean first place applicants. The people who applied earliest, even for foundation

Ok firstly your an international student so your deadline is later because im a home student.
The second one I'll have to get Matisse to answer because she knows more than me - Infact theres a thread on here somewhere i'll find it.
Thirdly a sustained drawing is a drawing u produce for a substantial amount of time usually around 5 hours or more - often still life as in objects arranged and then drawn or figurative life drawing. its purely to show skill not ideas. If i haven't explained fully enough let me know. Often pencils are used with different thickness' HB 2F 4B etc or if thats not your forte then biro can also be used. The main thing is that it must show skill.

First place applicants are the people that apply to a college as their first choice so for example if you applied to Chelsea as your preference and then CSM you would be a first place applicant for chelsea and a second place applicant for CSM because Chelsea is your first choice. But since many people apply to CSM as their first choice they fill up all their places and so second place applicants dont tend to get looked at
xx
Reply 4
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15745672&highlight=chelsea+csm#post15745672 - heres the Chelsea v CSM link - look at matisse's big post - 2nd one i think.
if you need anything else let me know
x
Reply 5
Thanksies.

I'll get to those labour drawings asap!

Latest