The Student Room Group

Considering Oxford, or have an offer?

Hiya,

Just a message for anyone who is considering applying to Oxford or has done so this year and got a place. I'm a first year studying Modern History and Politics and would be happy to answer any questions about life at Oxford or more particularly about what the course is like what reading you should be doing before coming up, what to expect, tutorials, lectures etc. To be honest I didn't really have any idea until I came up last year so I know it would be really helpful to get some advice. I'll also offer anything I can on interviews but to be honest they are a bit of a lottery. Also anyone else studying at Oxford who wants to offer advice also add your details to this thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello! I'm doing my AS(Maths, Statistics, Economics, Law) now. I'm interested in the Maths and Philosophy joint course in Oxford. I was intereted in PPE but I realize how hard it is for students whose first language is not English to get in and found that the joint course is indeed more suitable.
Nice to know someone to get advice from. n_n
Reply 2
he1c14h10
Hello! I'm doing my AS(Maths, Statistics, Economics, Law) now. I'm interested in the Maths and Philosophy joint course in Oxford. I was intereted in PPE but I realize how hard it is for students whose first language is not English to get in and found that the joint course is indeed more suitable.
Nice to know someone to get advice from. n_n

Let me know any questions you have
Reply 3
Well.. I'm going to Jesus College on its open day. But I'm not quite sure which college is the best choice to study Maths and Philosophy in? It would be better if there are quite a few students doing Maths or Philosophy or the same joint course in the same college I suppose. What are your suggestons for me to prepare for the interview in general besides do some reading according to the reading list? What might I encounter in the interview of Mahts and Philosophy?
Reply 4
I'm going to Ox next year to start a DPhil.

:biggrin:
Reply 5
he1c14h10
What are your suggestons for me to prepare for the interview in general besides do some reading according to the reading list? What might I encounter in the interview of Mahts and Philosophy?

You'll almost certainly be interviewed separately by the maths tutors and the philosophy tutors. The maths interviews is likely to involve pure maths as the maths & phil course involves none of the applied options. The philosophy interview will usually be on first principles type arguments, seeing how well you can deal with an awkward ethical situation say, then adapt your argument etc. Some issue with difficult, complex internal logic. You won't have needed to have read any particular philosopher, though they will have expected you to have read some, or at least be able to say what got you interested in studying philosophy.
Reply 6
Thanks, RichE. Are you doing this course in Oxford now? or maybe other maths courses. You seems to know quite well about it. :smile:
what is the social life like at oxford...and trinity college if u kno... do u feel overwhelmed by da workload? i've got an offer from trinity 2 do theology by da way n wz a little worried just about this as cldn't otherwise kno until i got there...
Reply 8
Racheliscool
what is the social life like at oxford...and trinity college if u kno... do u feel overwhelmed by da workload? i've got an offer from trinity 2 do theology by da way n wz a little worried just about this as cldn't otherwise kno until i got there...

Its a lot of work most people have either 3 essays a fortnight or 2 a week depending on College and course, but there are loads of things going on, lots of societies, some pretty good clubs and bars and a pretty good social life just have to bare in mind that you might have to miss out on sleep, but it's only for 8 weeks, congrats on your offer for Trinity its a beautiful college and you'll have a great time there!
Reply 9
Aztec

Just a message for anyone who is considering applying to Oxford or has done so this year and got a place. I'm a first year studying Modern History and Politics and would be happy to answer any questions about life at Oxford or more particularly about what the course is like what reading you should be doing before coming up, what to expect, tutorials, lectures etc.

regarding quetions. I was always curious as to the teaching system at oxford, but don't know much about it because i didn't go to any opendays.

How does the teaching there vary from other unis.e.g. imperial. Also, what is special about the tutorial system..other unis have it too, but most people i ask say its special up there, but they don't say why! is it down to the fact that the tutorials are greater in quantity, or because the tutors are good?

finally, what exactly are lectures like, and how many people go to them (roughly).

If you could just talk me through the teaching at oxford, and differences from normal unis, it'd be fab.

cheers

PK
If other unis have tutorials it is not to the same extent as at oxford, where for some subjects (especially arts) the tutorial is the key to the teaching, rather than lectures. For science, lectures still have a very important role, and anyone who wished to do well would probably be advised to go to all of the lectures. However for arts subjects lectures are a lot more 'optional' and do not make up the bulk of the teaching.

tutorials are special because they are regular meetings with your tutor in very small groups, perhaps 2 or 3 (although my tutorials last term were all 1 on 1) therefore they are a great chance to understand your subject by talking it through with your tutor. I know from a number of my friends doing maths that the tutorials are essential in helping them understand their lectures.

I think that the main difference between oxbridge and anywhere else is that the tutorial system gives very personal teaching rather than teaching in big groups found in many unis.
Reply 11
I'll be at Oxford in October to start work on an MPhil in International Relations. I am a US student, and would appreciate any advice that you all can offer.
Reply 12
Also, if anyone can offer any info. on New College, I would appreciate it. Although I have not yet received their admissions decision (the departmental offer guarantees a college place, but does not guarantee that it will be at the college of your choice), I am really hoping to get in.
I hope this offer still stands. I was offered a place at St Hilda's (I applied to Brasenose) to read English and I don't know whether I want it. I have an unconditional offer from UCL, which I like equally, and I don't know whether St Hilda's being all-female is enough to dissuade me from accepting the place. I know this isn't really what you were offering help with, but as you're at Oxford at the moment I'm asking anyway! Is Hilda's a huge social hindrance? I'm not intending to join loads of societies because I am lazy as ****, so would I be destined to have the worst social experience ever?
Reply 14
imbiginjapan
I hope this offer still stands. I was offered a place at St Hilda's (I applied to Brasenose) to read English and I don't know whether I want it. I have an unconditional offer from UCL, which I like equally, and I don't know whether St Hilda's being all-female is enough to dissuade me from accepting the place. I know this isn't really what you were offering help with, but as you're at Oxford at the moment I'm asking anyway! Is Hilda's a huge social hindrance? I'm not intending to join loads of societies because I am lazy as ****, so would I be destined to have the worst social experience ever?

You can always go for an intra-college transfer if you hat Hilda's...
Reply 15
imbiginjapan

Not at all, you make it what it is, remember a College is just where you live, everyone does the same degree, but if you don't think that you'll be able to get past it then take the offer from UCL. Just make sure you make the decision you want not based on other people's prejudices it's not a big deal unless you make it one it depends on how you react.
Reply 16
i've just read it here - is it true that it is hard to get in for PPE when you're not an English native speaker? :eek:
Fluffy
You can always go for an intra-college transfer if you hat Hilda's...

So it's possible to change colleges in the middle of your uni studies in Oxford? How about Cambridge-is it possible to change colleges there as well? How's that done? :confused:

Also, won't your "first" college hate your guts if you go for an intra-college transfer? :biggrin:
Reply 18
Monii
i've just read it here - is it true that it is hard to get in for PPE when you're not an English native speaker? :eek:

I don't think it is officially... I know a few PPEists who don't have English as their native language.
Reply 19
RxB
I don't think it is officially... I know a few PPEists who don't have English as their native language.

what do you men by the first sentence? that it happens, but not officially??

Latest

Trending

Trending