The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Democracy
Really all this wide eyed "if you go anywhere in the world people will have heard of so and so" is all nonsense. Do you think someone in the Afghani mountains has heard of ICL? Of course not. And those academic people abroad who do know about ICL will invariably be smart enough to recognise that Queen Mary College, University of London (as BL's parent university) is just as fine an institute to attend, and is far more ancient than ICL with a crucial role in the history of medical education in the UK and has produced many outstanding doctors.

its not nonsense to want to strive for the best possible resource for yourself... maybe to you ic has equal prestige as barts; but to OP he certainly does not think that way; and choosing a university is one's own decision, right? So he should choose according to what he wants for himself, for his own future
Reply 41
Complete the first year there and then apply to the other uni's for the same course that way your chances of getting will be greater esp if you get a 1st at the end of your 1st yr.

lrH5
I'm having trouble deciding where I want to go to university. The problem is that I've got offers from other london universities for medicine (st.george's and barts) but I'm not sure I want to go there. I wanted to get into UCL or Imperial but I got rejected. UCL and imperial in my mind are already in front of any of the other london universities in my mind and I'm very much unhappy with thinking that I'll have to face facts and accept my second choice. I know that apparently where you went to university doesn't matter, but still going to a university of less prestige/ worse university seems to bother me. If I reject all my offers and reapply this yar, do you think it would be worth it? As i would still being running the risk of getting rejected from everywhere if i reapply and I am not sure I will do well in the BMAT (this year I mucked up the essay section, I was very distraught with myself and th low essay section cost be the bmat universities, UCL and imperial).

I know some people would criticise me for posting this as i should be happy that I've at least got offers, but I would really like some advice on the matter, it's really troubling me.
billykwok
its not nonsense to want to strive for the best possible resource for yourself... maybe to you ic has equal prestige as barts; but to OP he certainly does not think that way; and choosing a university is one's own decision, right? So he should choose according to what he wants for himself, for his own future

Yes it is one's own decision, where possible. However, being picky in a course which is super competitive and contemplating throwing away a potentially once in a lifetime offer is an immensely stupid thing to do. And the "best" exactly how is BL worse than ICL? The answer had better not be along the lines of "league tables".

At the end of the day university is what you make of it. He can find great friends at BL, make use of BL's excellent facilities and SU, and graduate as a doctor from there. Or he can be a petulant child and potentially miss out on this offer and be wondering what do with himself this time next year when ICL didn't give him an offer again.
Reply 43
Variable
Complete the first year there and then apply to the other uni's for the same course that way your chances of getting will be greater esp if you get a 1st at the end of your 1st yr.

lol. They'll just tell you to get out. Yes, you. Get out.
Variable

Absolutely disregard this "advice"....medical school doesn't use the honours system and you can't transfer from one medical school to another without a damn good reason.
Wangers

I think if Renal were here his head might have exploded....
Democracy
Really all this wide eyed "if you go anywhere in the world people will have heard of so and so" is all nonsense. Do you think someone in the Afghani mountains has heard of ICL? Of course not. And those academic people abroad who do know about ICL will invariably be smart enough to recognise that Queen Mary College, University of London (as BL's parent university) is just as fine an institute to attend, and is far more ancient than ICL with a crucial role in the history of medical education in the UK and has produced many outstanding doctors.

word.
Democracy
Yes it is one's own decision, where possible. However, being picky in a course which is super competitive and contemplating throwing away a potentially once in a lifetime offer is an immensely stupid thing to do. And the "best" exactly how is BL worse than ICL? The answer had better not be along the lines of "league tables".

At the end of the day university is what you make of it. He can find great friends at BL, make use of BL's excellent facilities and SU, and graduate as a doctor from there. Or he can be a petulant child and potentially miss out on this offer and be wondering what do with himself this time next year when ICL didn't give him an offer again.

i do agree with you on that point - missing offer of a lifetime. I am not opposing it, its just i see the point of Op's question about choosing his universities, and people should be less harsh in their response; he is just wanting the best for himself by choosing the best university - this is his future after all, which is fair enough i would say
Variable

um, no. v few med schools allow transfers and even so would only be under exceptional circs. you could try, but it is unlikely esp as the courses may be quite different. medicine is usually ungraded anyway, you normally can't get a ''first''
billykwok
So he should choose according to what he wants for himself, for his own future

yeah, choose becoming a doctor or choose the risk of not becoming a doctor.
billykwok
i do agree with you on that point - missing offer of a lifetime. I am not opposing it, its just i see the point of Op's question about choosing his universities, and people should be less harsh in their response; he is just wanting the best for himself by choosing the best university - this is his future after all, which is fair enough i would say

Well yeah, we all have universities we set our hearts on. Hence the advice is given on this forum each year not to attach yourself too much to any one of your choices, cause you might end up bitterly disappointed. However, it's important for the OP to think in the long term and realise what he really wants (to study medicine), not to attend a particular university...
Democracy
realise what he really wants (to study medicine), not to attend a particular university...

bingo.

hence why it is important to choose unis you would actually want to go to! if op didn't like barts, don't apply there.
lrH5
I'm having trouble deciding where I want to go to university. The problem is that I've got offers from other london universities for medicine (st.george's and barts) but I'm not sure I want to go there. I wanted to get into UCL or Imperial but I got rejected. UCL and imperial in my mind are already in front of any of the other london universities in my mind and I'm very much unhappy with thinking that I'll have to face facts and accept my second choice. I know that apparently where you went to university doesn't matter, but still going to a university of less prestige/ worse university seems to bother me. If I reject all my offers and reapply this yar, do you think it would be worth it? As i would still being running the risk of getting rejected from everywhere if i reapply and I am not sure I will do well in the BMAT (this year I mucked up the essay section, I was very distraught with myself and th low essay section cost be the bmat universities, UCL and imperial).

I know some people would criticise me for posting this as i should be happy that I've at least got offers, but I would really like some advice on the matter, it's really troubling me.

I know someone who had been in the exact same position as you, he was as troubled as you and nearly rejected all his offers, but changed his mind eventually and went to george's, now he is definitely loving his life at george's to death lol. He told me that thank god he made the right choice and didn't choose to reject his offers.

what you are concerned about, as it appears in what you said, is only the prestige of the university, have you carefully considered the course structures? how can you be sure that you won't enjoy barts or george's just because they are less prestigious than the other two? What you want to be is a good doctor, not a prestigious medical student, and you can become a good doctor by any route, besides, george's and barts are definitely not 'worse' medical schools! i think if you consider all aspects in sensible way, you will realise that there's a great possibility that you will enjoy barts and george's just as much! (personally i prefer george's but they haven't even given me an interview! so you should realise how lucky you are)

You are already lucky enough to hold two offers, honestly you have no idea how it feels for people who haven't heard anything yet or those who are unfortunate enough to get four rejections. You honestly don't want to give up this and find yourself being in the same position next year and regretting over it(trust me, it will be devastating).

just keep in mind that what you are aiming for is to be a doctor, medical school is just something to support you, it doesn't guarantee or condemn anything

i honestly with all my heart hope to see you being sensible and mature enough to take up either of your two offers, i don't think anyone in this thread wants to see you make the wrong decision and regret in the future. We all want to help you you know.

anyway, good luck!hope to see you in london this year lol!
Reply 53
lol really? didn't know that, in that case just go to the med school

Wangers
Reply 54
I concur, I thought it was similar to other undergrad courses but clearly its not so pls ignore. :yep:

Democracy
Absolutely disregard this "advice"....medical school doesn't use the honours system and you can't transfer from one medical school to another without a damn good reason.
Reply 55
It's quite a simple question really - do you want to be a doctor or a UCL/Gimpers student. If it's the former, get on with your training. If it's the later turn your med offers down and apply for UCL/Gimpers through EXTRA...
Reply 56
If I were you I would take the offer without a second thought, seriously, its medicine, if it were something else (maths, biomed, english, etc) then you would have a point. But its medicine, take the offer dude.
Reply 57
Baby jesus wept.
Reply 58
lrH5

Applying to universities to which you've virtually no intention of going for what is perhaps the single most over-subscribed course in existence makes you, frankly, something of a dick; and this is even disregarding your fixation on 'prestige' (which, given the circumstances, strikes me as nothing short of ludicrous).
Reply 59
Profesh
Applying to universities to which you've virtually no intention of going for what is perhaps the single most over-subscribed course in existence makes you, frankly, something of a dick; and this is disregarding your fixation on 'prestige' which is, given the circumstances, utterly ludicrous.

Hear, hear.

You, Profesh, may be the only member of the forum with vast reputation who I actually admire.

The rest of them tend to be *****.

Latest

Trending

Trending