The Student Room Group

what do you consider to be a "good" IB score?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Well looking at the IB scores, 27.5 is about average. I'm predicted 30, so I'm happy with that. I would say 24-28 is bad.
Reply 141
Personally, any score that gets someone into uni. I remember a grad telling me last year: when you are 40 years old, you won't remember your IB score but you will remember that you got into your dream program. Its all really subjective; however 40+ would be considered amazing (imo) since I can't possibly achieve that and I feel like it requires tons of dedication, effort and all.
Reply 142
Original post by saachi
English :smile: My Durham offer was 38 with 766... so I was never very confident about meeting it anyway. Honestly I don't even know how inflated my predicted grades were, I got like 33 (without bonus) at the end of year 1. Seriously thinking about taking philosophy as an outside course wherever I go, though. It's like a better more advanced version of TOK right? :P

I wish I had an unconditional from the US! I did get a vague sort of conditional from Toronto but I didn't accept thinking I'd get 30 points at least. Now I'm just scared. What's your safe in the US?

Ooh thats even worse than mine! I swear the IB offers are so much harsher than the a level offers -_- although 33, if you get 3 bonus points thats already 36! so maybe not too bad :P haha sounds good. Yeah that was my thinking :P I was like yeah I've done philosophy before! lol jk tok.

Its from NYU! although honestly, the application is so much of a pain in the ass compared to UCAS. UCAS, is easy. Urgh so scared! its so easy to really mess up exams :P oh well. a week to go! good luck
Reply 143
the school averages are so different...the highest score at my school EVER was 39..which doesnt really sound encouraging..maybe its my schools teaching quality or the (lack of) dedication from students..anyway ill be try my best to at least match that total
meanwhile other schools from my city each year have over 10% students scoring 40+ some even with 44/45...and depending on how you look at it, it can either make you feel motivated or kind of disadvantaged..(since those schools are extremely expensive,which obviously cant be afforded by everyone, but have way better qualified teachers, equipped labs and libraries:/)
30 is average for me, and 34+ is in the 'good' range. 36+ is ideal, and 40+ is elite.
Ermmm I think that a good score in the IB is 36+
I say this because Im starting IB soon and the majority of the students in the sixth form I'm attending managed to get around 32-37
Every individual has different standards, but +40 is pretty good. I would be over the clouds if I scored over 40.
Rethought this

24-28 - mediocre
29-32 - decent
33-36 - 'good'
37-40 - brilliant
41-44 - outstanding
45 - exceptional
I would say that 35 is a 'very good' score (depending on the subject chosen, you will easily get into most Russell Group universities with that score). I would also like to point out that an IB score of 35 would place a student in the top 20% of IB students worldwide, which is remarkable. Anything over 39 is exceptional (top 5%).

Most schools would say:
24-29 = pass
30-34 = good
35-39 = very good
40+ = excellent
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 149
Personally, I think 42/43+ is good. That's how much the Medical schools here ask for.

I'm probably not on track to get that, but anything anything starting with a '4' would make me happy.
I would say
30-35 decent
36-39 very good
40-45 excellent
I got 44 this session and I have to say that the difference between 40 and 45 is little and is mostly due to luck with exam questions, IA marking and form on the day.
I would consider anything 35+ to be a VERY VERY good score (with good scores at higher level too- preferably 666 or above). But, I would be very happy with a 35 :smile:
Just looked at our school's website, and I can conclude that Queenie97 was right lol
Sorry for being a tad bit hypocritical, but coming from a school with an average IB score of ~36 and basically 100% graduation rate (no this isn't some small college, I think our cohort has +200 IB Dip students per year), I would say a score of above 40 would certainly put you in the "very good" category. We generally have around 1 (?) 45er per year, but definitely at least a dozen 42-44s... but its just our region (Asia!). I mean, our local medical schools are asking for 44s in their conditional offers, what's not to like? :angry:
Original post by amazingusername
Sorry for being a tad bit hypocritical, but coming from a school with an average IB score of ~36 and basically 100% graduation rate (no this isn't some small college, I think our cohort has +200 IB Dip students per year), I would say a score of above 40 would certainly put you in the "very good" category. We generally have around 1 (?) 45er per year, but definitely at least a dozen 42-44s... but its just our region (Asia!). I mean, our local medical schools are asking for 44s in their conditional offers, what's not to like? :angry:

You're kidding me, right?! That's absolutely insane!!
Original post by JohnGreek
Saying that is a bit misleading - getting 4s and 5s in your subjects (and 1 or 2 in TOK) is hardly a "good" score. Something being above average may not necessarily render it "good", particularly when you consider that offers being made by top RG unis for subjects tend to be in the 35+ range.

Depends on 1) the university you're applying to and 2) the course. If you're going for something a bit less competitive, even in a RG uni, I would say that a 35 score is a decent score. Of course, if you're going for medicine, a 40+ is a must, which means that you shouldn't even try to apply if you're getting below 40. The "goodness" of your score just depends on your ability, your goals and your uni ambitions - please don't compare your scores to everyone else's, it really isn't relative!
Original post by cutibess
You're kidding me, right?! That's absolutely insane!!

Yeah, I've basically given up :u:

Spoiler

Original post by amazingusername
Yeah, I've basically given up :u:

Spoiler

Great sense of humour - I sincerely hope you do get it tho, you seem like a nice guy :smile:
As a student who is predicted 40+, I would (just like most people) say that 35+ is good. We were told that a score of 35 points or above would already guarantee you a place at a prestigious university (RG, 1994 Group). Of course, for something like medicine it is better to obtain a 40 or higher. However, for others, 35+ would be ideal.
SO I would say
24-29- Below average
30-34- Decent
35-39- Very good
40-45- Outstanding
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Queenie97
I would say that 35 is a 'very good' score (depending on the subject chosen, you will easily get into most Russell Group universities with that score). I would also like to point out that an IB score of 35 would place a student in the top 20% of IB students worldwide, which is remarkable. Anything over 39 is exceptional (top 5%).

Most schools would say:
24-29 = pass
30-34 = good
35-39 = very good
40+ = excellent

Yes! OMG just checked my school's website and that's exactly how they put the scores too hahahah lol XD
Reply 159
Well, my school's average is 36 raw points. I think a good third get above 40. I'm currently predicted a 39, without a bonus, and I don't really consider myself a particularly good student. To be quite honest, my school's standards terrify me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending