The Student Room Group

gap year requirement

hi ppl, i was just wondering , if you want to take a gap year like i do, then do you HAVE to go on work experience relevant to the course you want to take or they wont let you in? cos my teachers said that i wud have to, i was just thinking that they were only saying it cos they think i wont be doing owt for a year, but iam, i'm saving money by working and working on my band. So if anyone knows or has advice, then leave messages,,

cheers ppl
Reply 1
It'll depend on the uni and course you are doing I suppose - maybe at some high demand unis/courses they'll want you to do something relavent. I'm doing Maths and the only thing it said in the prospectuses about this was that they expect you to "keep up your mathematical ability" but then I suppose Maths is the easiest subject to get out of the flow of (I'm doing a extra course that has some A-Level and some uni work and my job is vaguely mathematical).
Reply 2
Well I'm certainly not doing, I'm going to uni to do Computer Science, yet in my year out I'm off to South Africa to work at an animal rehabilitation clinic, and working as a cashier to afford it.
Reply 3
no. that's rubbish. most universities will encourage you to have a year out just to mature anyway. think of all the people who go round the world on their year out - that's not exactly relevant to all their degrees!

Latest