The Student Room Group

Applying

Ok! I have a couple of questions about Gap years.

1. Can you apply for university during your gap year?
2. If you get accepted to a University and then defer for the gap year, can you later decide that you don't want to go and cancel?

Say I get accepted to The University of Manchester(all theoretical here...) and defer for a gap year, but then during that gap year I apply somewhere else(can I even do that?) and get accepted. Can I decide that I don't want to go to the University of Manchester anymore(after being accepted and defering) and that I want to go to this new place?

Thanks!!
1. Yes, and a lot of people do.
2. Yes, but I think you would have to withdraw from the UCAS application cycle for that year.

Say I get accepted to The University of Manchester(all theoretical here...) and defer for a gap year, but then during that gap year I apply somewhere else(can I even do that?)

No, you can't do that. You can only apply in one application cycle and would have to cancel your deferred place and re-apply.
Reply 2
but how would The University of Manchester know that I applied somewhere else? Couldn't I just apply to another school(not even in the UK...) and then get accepted to this new school and then call the U of Manchester and say "I've decided not to attend there next year."?
Reply 3
I think UCAS might be able to find out whether you have already got a place somewhere, maybe not though
Reply 4
UCAS has no control over universities outside this country, so yes, you could apply to a foreign university. It is only to other British universities that you cannot apply when holding an offer at another one- although I am told people do apply using another application number and are not found out.
Reply 5
My plan was to apply to the University of Manchester in my last year of high school. Then take a Gap year and go to Spain for a year, learn Spanish, apply to a Spanish University, and hope I get accepted, if I don't get accepted then I would just go to Manchester the next year.

Also, I'm just wondering, Can I apply for 2 different degrees at the same University, because I like a bunch of them at U of Manchester, but am not sure if I'm going to get accepted to my first one. Can I apply for 2 different degrees(or more) and then just decide which ones I want from the one's I get offers for?

Thanks again guys!!
Reply 6
Yeah, you can apply to more than one course at the same uni, one girl in my year just applied to 5 different courses at the same uni, although you have to be careful to pick courses with a variety of typical offers, or at least that's what my careers teacher says.

Latest