The Student Room Group

Anyone taking IGCSE Additional Maths (CIE)?

How're you guys finding it? Post any problems here so we can help each other work out the answer and revise.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hehe.. you're 4 years too late!! :smile: I did IGCSE Maths through Cambridge in 2005 and struggled terribly.. ended up getting a D, I'm resitting it this year!!
Reply 2
did it in 2007 and i got an A :biggrin: :P
I did it in 2008 and got an A* :woo:
Reply 4
No point of this post but I am doing FSMQ, similar, but not the same
Reply 5
Chunkeymonkey62
I did it in 2008 and got an A* :woo:

Great! I'm going for an A myself. Although, I still need to brush up on permutation and combination and functions. Of course, by brush up on, I mean revise completely xD Any tips you'd like to share?
Reply 6
roosel
No point of this post but I am doing FSMQ, similar, but not the same

what sorts of things do you study?
Reply 7
waleedwal
did it in 2007 and i got an A :biggrin: :P

Congratulations! I had a friend who took it that year too. He ended up with a B :redface: and he was apparently a boy-Dexter, per se xD
Reply 8
clissa
Hehe.. you're 4 years too late!! :smile: I did IGCSE Maths through Cambridge in 2005 and struggled terribly.. ended up getting a D, I'm resitting it this year!!

That's too bad. I suppose you're much better prepared now :P
Siddd
Great! I'm going for an A myself. Although, I still need to brush up on permutation and combination and functions. Of course, by brush up on, I mean revise completely xD Any tips you'd like to share?

Permutation? :eek3:

I don't remember that being in the syllabus.

Just do all the pst papers as much as possible, once you've done them all, redo them again until you get 100%, showing your working out and not skipping anything.

I also found it useful to teach people it. If I explained it to them, in basic easy maths language, it would stay in my brain? I guess it may not work for you but it is worth a try? :yep:
Reply 10
Siddd

permutation and combination was perhaps the hardest topic in add maths, i had a hard time mastering that one but finally got the hang of it in the end.

btw relative velocity was another troublesome topic, i hated that one
additional maths is ass.
People who get full rows of a*'s/a's get E's and F's in additional maths. I had a few lessons of it and i rebuked it instantly.
Reply 12
waleedwal
permutation and combination was perhaps the hardest topic in add maths, i had a hard time mastering that one but finally got the hang of it in the end.

btw relative velocity was another troublesome topic, i hated that one

I'm not sure. For me, the most difficult topic is circular measure. It seems that the same sorts of questions on permutation and combination are repeated year after year. Regardless, there's bound to be a 5 mark question on it :P
Reply 13
BackDoorEntry
additional maths is ass.
People who get full rows of a*'s/a's get E's and F's in additional maths. I had a few lessons of it and i rebuked it instantly.

Not necessarily. People with analytical minds tend to do quite well in Add. Maths. However, I'm aware that Add. Maths has the highest proportion of D-E candidates than any other IGCSE :redface:
I'm taking it next year! and i need HELP!
Reply 15
I'm taking it NOW lol
BackDoorEntry
additional maths is ass.

& I'm one of those people. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

(sorry to bring this thread up from the dead lol)
Reply 17
Sorry for necro-posting, but I think the thread topic is still valid, so I just wanted to ask: Does anyone know the grade boundaries?

Thanks!
Reply 18
im taking it :biggrin:
i have my mocks tomorow :s-smilie:
paper one.
i still didnt start studying.... hehe.
but yeah, id love to help you though.
Reply 19
Hahah, was just looking through this thread :smile: Yeah, I'm done with Add. Math, but now the IB is raping :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending