The Student Room Group

College in the UK...grad school in the US?

How easy would it be to enter a US grad school program (either business or law) after getting a degree from LSE? Also, would employers in the US view a LSE degree the same way they'd view a US degree? I have to decide where to go next year and I'd really love to go to LSE but I'm a little worried about the American view of the school.
Can someone fill me in and give their opinion? Thanks!
Reply 1
To go to grad school in the states you will have to take either the

LSAT for Law School
or the GMAT for Business school

Which are the Law School and Business School equivalents of the SAT.
They ARE hard. Most people study for up to a year for them...and sometimes get tutors.
I would think that US schools will look very favourably upon LSE as it is a well respected university worldwide. I know someone who went to princeton who is now at Georgetown University Law School who did a year at LSE ... take that as you wish. As for employers, there is no denying that the bog standard american from the US heartland probably wouldn't have a clue what LSE was... they'd probs think it was some kind of disease. But, any good law firm or big business would realise that it was a good school. Most people tend to look at the UK education system very favourably. I know a guy who worked for Harvard Admissions and he is full of praise for UK education especially A levels.. go figure.Anyways...

Law School in the states is very stressful, and very competitive. My boyfriend is at Georgetown Law and god damn, i wouldn't wish the stress he has on my worst enemy. But saying this, it really depends on what law school you go to.. any of the top law schools are obviously going to be very stressful, lower down the scale then not so much.

Remember, it's VERY expensive, G'town Law is around $40,000 per year for three years of studying, plus living in Washington DC ontop of that.. and there is no guarantee you will get a scholarship.

However, again a Law Degree in the states is a really big thing... it's very prestigious and you will be sure (if you graduate from somewhere really good) to earn a lot of money once your through!

Hope any of that helps
Reply 2
I know a guy who worked for Harvard Admissions and he is full of praise for UK education especially A levels.. go figure.

I simply cannot figure that out... but it made for a hilarious statement anyway!
Reply 3
If you're planning to take up postgrad programs other than law and management/business (for example, postgrad programs in economics or history), you'll probably need to take the GRE, which is sort of like a standardized graduate school admissions test. :smile:
Reply 4
leigh787
I simply cannot figure that out... but it made for a hilarious statement anyway!

I worked in the same office as a former admissions tutor for Harvard. He kept going on about how Harvard wasn't too good for undergrads and that it's best to come back as a postgrad.
SamTheMan
I worked in the same office as a former admissions tutor for Harvard. He kept going on about how Harvard wasn't too good for undergrads and that it's best to come back as a postgrad.

Yeah, Harvard undergraduates have actually been found in a poll to be the least happy with the education they receive from their university. A lot of the Ivy League schools do not have a great reputation for producing pleased undergraduates. Most students complain that their professors were too busy with their own research or with grad students to bother much with them.
Reply 6
psychic_satori
Yeah, Harvard undergraduates have actually been found in a poll to be the least happy with the education they receive from their university. A lot of the Ivy League schools do not have a great reputation for producing pleased undergraduates. Most students complain that their professors were too busy with their own research or with grad students to bother much with them.

They still seem to be willing to make generous donations/ send their children there.

I looked into NYU but it was prohibitively expensive. (mainly due to health insurance)
BellaCat
They still seem to be willing to make generous donations/ send their children there.

I looked into NYU but it was prohibitively expensive. (mainly due to health insurance)

That happens with every university, but the most generous donations come from those who did their graduate studies there (makes sense because more education generally means more income).
Reply 8
psychic_satori

Princeton - consistently the best UNDERGRAD uni in the states.
Lawz-
Princeton - consistently the best UNDERGRAD uni in the states.

Well, I didn't say ALL, but most of them seem to consistently disappoint their students. Although, part of this may be that students going to Harvard or Yale for their undergrad have far too lofty expectations going in.
Reply 10
psychic_satori
Well, I didn't say ALL, but most of them seem to consistently disappoint their students. Although, part of this may be that students going to Harvard or Yale for their undergrad have far too lofty expectations going in.

Indeed - the US to me has a bad system for undergrads - with the whole minor/major thing - wastes time... and money ... and you only do 2 years on the important parts...
Lawz-
Indeed - the US to me has a bad system for undergrads - with the whole minor/major thing - wastes time... and money ... and you only do 2 years on the important parts...

Thank you for reminding me... :rolleyes:
Reply 12
psychic_satori
Thank you for reminding me... :rolleyes:

Lol - well you might have thought otherwise - many people love that system... I think its a waste of time personally.
Lawz-
Lol - well you might have thought otherwise - many people love that system... I think its a waste of time personally.

Apparently, I've never met any of them... I've never known someone who didn't moan about all of the BS liberal arts classes required of us. I guess possibly someone who loves liberal arts would love it, but those people need help anyway...

Latest

Trending

Trending