The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm in London for uni and I really like it. There's just so much stuff going on which makes it an exciting place to live, you really feel you're part of something. Saying that though it's nice to go home to Devon & Cornwall in the holidays and see rolling countryside!
Reply 21
I hated London when I was doing my course last year, probably somthing to do with the amount of miserable commuters I came into contact with and having to go to Archway every day. But now I've been away for a while and I've been reminded there are nice bits and nice people in it. So I don't mind it for days trips of whatever but don't know if I'd like to live there
Reply 22
It's okay to visit but i'm unsure if i could live there. However, there are many things that i hate about the place...the people are so rude it's actually quite astonishing (having discussed this with mates form london, i have come to the conclusion that u need to be from outside the city to truly appreciate this, where i'm from strangers regularly smile at each other in public and we arent all scared of each other). Also, i hate how insular the place is, most people i've met from the place have never left the place more than a handful of times and i notice this leads to an arrogance, it's also 85% slum as well. but a nice place to go as a toursit if u avoid 99% of the city and dont smile at anybody on the tube
I loooove London so much. :smile: I've known since the age of 15 that I was going to come here for university, I've been here for 6 months now and I can't see myself ever getting sick of it. :smile:
London on the whole is over rated I feel- but Ill put that down to the fact that I live just outside the city center and have been more times than I care to remember.

I could imagine it being exciting and seeming like an amazing place to those visiting for the first time or something, but like everything if youre around it all the time you can often become blind to its charm.

There are some great things to do, but once you've been there and done it, well thats it really.
Reply 25
I use to live in London for about seven years. It has its good points and sometimes I do miss it, but I don't think I would actually like to live there again - even despite the fall of Ken. London seems to have gotten seriously more dangerous in my years of absence with the quality of life on a downward spiral. My old friends who are still left behind do seem genuinely discontent with London and they all harbour ambitions to leave one fine day for pastures anew.
Reply 26
horrible place, full of plastic cold people.
I'm inclined to say that if you don't like London, you simply just don't understand it
Reply 28
olegirona
It's okay to visit but i'm unsure if i could live there. However, there are many things that i hate about the place...the people are so rude it's actually quite astonishing (having discussed this with mates form london, i have come to the conclusion that u need to be from outside the city to truly appreciate this, where i'm from strangers regularly smile at each other in public and we arent all scared of each other). Also, i hate how insular the place is, most people i've met from the place have never left the place more than a handful of times and i notice this leads to an arrogance, it's also 85% slum as well. but a nice place to go as a toursit if u avoid 99% of the city and dont smile at anybody on the tube

It's the unwritten rule: do *not* make eye contact with *anyone* on the tube if you are above the age of 5. When I first left London I think people found me rather rude and brusque because I was so use the London way of life i.e. I never made eye contact with strangers and certainly didn't smile.
Reply 29
bete noire
I'm inclined to say that if you don't like London, you simply just don't understand it

What crap. Another Londoenr who thinks that England is London and there is nothng outside London. ' We is from London '
I'd rather live in Tokyo or Berlin than London, IMHO.
FM08
What crap. Another Londoenr who thinks that England is London and there is nothng outside London. ' We is from London '

Don't put misspelled words in my mouth, friend. That's not what I think at all.

I'm well aware that there is plenty outside of London, most of the people I know in London aren't even from London.

I'm just saying that, chances are if you claim not to like London, you just don't know it well enough.
Reply 32
I don't live there but I am close by and spend a lot of time there. I love it!
Reply 33
bete noire
Don't put misspelled words in my mouth, friend. That's not what I think at all.

I'm well aware that there is plenty outside of London, most of the people I know in London aren't even from London.

I'm just saying that, chances are if you claim not to like London, you just don't know it well enough.

So people aren't even allowed to not like London!
I like London. I like the shops and the museums and the public transport system that works and the theatres. Normally I only visit for a few days at a time, though, and I'd like to stay there for longer (I'll probably apply to at least 1 uni there), but I think I'd rather live in Paris.
FM08
So people aren't even allowed to not like London!

Are you reading anything I'm saying?

Sure you're allowed not to like London, but most people who claim to hate it so much barely even know what its like outside of central London and the West End and what they hear on TV.

London's such a huge and great place that it really has a place for anyone, and if you give it enough of a chance it grows on you despite all the negatives you might see from day to day.

Of course other cities have this too, but most other cities I've been to (admittedly not many) have a lot more of an obvious charm, whereas London has to be learned and understood in order to become acclimatised to.

Stop freaking out every time I say something.
Reply 36
bete noire
Are you reading anything I'm saying?

Sure you're allowed not to like London, but most people who claim to hate it so much barely even know what its like outside of central London and the West End and what they hear on TV.

London's such a huge and great place that it really has a place for anyone, and if you give it enough of a chance it grows on you despite all the negatives you might see from day to day.

Of course other cities have this too, but most other cities I've been to (admittedly not many) have a lot more of an obvious charm, whereas London has to be learned and understood in order to become acclimatised to.

Stop freaking out every time I say something.

Well I live South, in a ******* dump, and I can safely say anywhere near is just as bad and worse. Tell me one nice place in south central?

The people as well, urgh, I shiver with horror.

London has no charm! Driven by materialistic things only.
if you want to be spied and on, live in London (and get shot in the head 5 times by the ******* disgusting state)
i love it so much i left my beloved manchester to move here :smile: i love the tube, the musuems, the theatre, everything! its just amazing and i want to live here forever cos i know i'll never get bored. plus my bf is a londoner :proud:
Reply 39
I've lived in South London all my life and can't really imagine moving away. There are several things I've come to take for granted - FREE bus travel all over, 24hr buses, not waiting more than 10 minutes for any bus, having several options of routing to get from A - B, the abundance of cash machines and newsagents, not having to pay or travel for miles to get to the nearest city centre, having a job in the Square Mile, nightlife, the general vibe and atmosphere. I could go on all day.

It's true that the cost of living is higher than anywhere else in the country, but if you have a decent job then you don't really notice. It's not a dangerous place, although I understand why people say that given the immense media coverage of the gang warfare and films like Kidulthood. You only get trouble if you go looking for it, or you don't have your wits about you when out. Unfortunately if you go looking at or smiling at the wrong people, even with the best of intentions, they'll either think you're flirting with them, that you're a weirdo or will see it as an invitation to rob you.

Some say that they feel insignificant in London, but many people just want to get on with their business. I don't think the comment about it being "85% slum" is at all justified - I don't think it quite compares to 3rd world countries. It may not be for everyone, but I certainly appreciate London, for all its quirks, charms and misgivings. I am willing to try living out in the provinces for a few years though :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending