Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Deyn_08
not particuarly.

why not? :woo:
Reply 81
bete noire
Are you reading anything I'm saying?

Sure you're allowed not to like London, but most people who claim to hate it so much barely even know what its like outside of central London and the West End and what they hear on TV.

London's such a huge and great place that it really has a place for anyone, and if you give it enough of a chance it grows on you despite all the negatives you might see from day to day.

Of course other cities have this too, but most other cities I've been to (admittedly not many) have a lot more of an obvious charm, whereas London has to be learned and understood in order to become acclimatised to.

Stop freaking out every time I say something.
Lived in Hoxton for years, with many friends around Camberwell, so I've seen more than tourist London and I think it's overrated. I'd much sooner live in NYC or Berlin, or indeed quite a few other cities. And I'd say Berlin and Tokyo are easily more difficult to 'crack' than London.
love it! i wish i lived closer
I think its growing on me. I've not lived there yet but the more i visit the more i sort of like it.
Reply 84
wait till you live there mate and you'll soon be sick of it.
Reply 85
I love London, but then again, I don't live there :smile:

Madrid's tube is so much better if you're comparing capital cities though
Reply 86
Adore it. I honestly don't understand how people can hate it (unless you hate cities in general). Someone earlier in the thread said that as long as they lived in England, they'd live in London, or something like that, and I feel the same way.

Ignoramus
"When a man tires of London, he tires of life."
Ben Jonson

So true.
It's definitely among my favourite cities. Far superior to Paris and more liveable than Amsterdam. I'd say it was on a par with Berlin and Hong Kong for the sheer amount of things to do, and better than both for shop shopping.
Reply 88
loafer
getting drunk in the middle of a sunny day in green park and watching everyone going about their work, rollerblading in kensington gardens when its really hot. i think all of us have been on at least one date involving the boats on the serpentine, small french patisseries in south ken, hot french girls from the lycée, sunday brunch in a westbourne grove bistro, climbing over the gates to get out of the parks once they have been locked at night, maroush juice on kensington high street, sitting in the sun outside a pub with people after work, those annoying people selling roses in the west end at night, all day house parties, getting out of town to the continent or the country to avoid carnival on august bank holiday, football and volleyball in hyde park on the grass, watching those people playing rollerhockey near the albert hall, spending a boiling day chilling with friends and going clubbing, walking home with people just going to work in the morning...

:h: i lub london in the summer :love:

got all sentimental there haha

:frown: making me jealous now! Haha, I love it :smile: but I guess I don't live there. I don't think I could either, or NYC and I think I love that more than London.
Reply 89
I think people paint a false image of London, a pretty picture that has no faults.

Expect people to have a lack of respect for everyone around them, I'll give you an example ... I went to the gym a couple days ago and the guy behind the desk was munching on a chicken wing and putting his greasy hands over my gym card, I was just like wtf! You only get that in London!
Reply 90
I like London... but as a place to visit and then go away from again! I mean I am regularly in the Northern suburbs and they are genuinely nice, especially in summer. They have equally good access to the city centre and to the countryside beyond. To London's credit as well, I could spend all day in the British Museum and various other places of cultural interest like the Natural History Museum, the National Gallery or the nice parks there.

However...even there it costs stupid amounts just to buy stuff, and I won't care to mention city centre prices, especially for someone like me who hasn't the benefit of a London Waiting wage. It just costs a fortune to do the basics, travel and eat! Your money gets you nothing and may as well be peanuts imo. Although the Tube is efficient - very efficient in fact - it is full of people with long faces looking like they don't want to be there, and the sheer overcrowded misery of the city centre crowds is just awful. It's too big for you to bump into someone you know on the street, and if you try to look someone in the eye or smile you don't get a return.

All in all? A nice place to live, just make sure that's as far from the centre as possible while still managing to be in London. As a provincial, I like it, love the culture in fact, but I'd need to return home after a few days!

EDIT: Mind you, the West Midlands isn't exactly much to return to...
Reply 91
Yeah, it's alright. Well, anythings better than the ******** I live in...
Reply 92
I even love the wind in the Tube :fan:
Reply 93
I love going to London for a day trip or night out, but I'm not sure if I could live there. I always come back absolutely exhausted and feeling pretty unwell.
Reply 94
London, on a night time with the brigh lights is simply breathtaking :smile:
Reply 95
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=londoned

Londoned - A stateside expression for being overrated, overpriced and underwhelming

I do love London though
matt1991
It just costs a fortune to do the basics, travel and eat! Your money gets you nothing and may as well be peanuts imo.

Anywhere you go you'll spend a fortune if you're eating out all the time. If you're actually living there, then it's no more expensive to eat than it is when you live elsewhere.

And transport is pretty damn cheap! I live in Kent and it costs my £3 a time to get two miles on the bus! And London definitely isn't any more expensive than the other Western capital cities I've been to, with an Oyster card.
Reply 97
Joanna May
Anywhere you go you'll spend a fortune if you're eating out all the time. If you're actually living there, then it's no more expensive to eat than it is when you live elsewhere.

And transport is pretty damn cheap! I live in Kent and it costs my £3 a time to get two miles on the bus! And London definitely isn't any more expensive than the other Western capital cities I've been to, with an Oyster card.

Lol, I think London transport is expensive tbh. Not for me tho, I have free travel :awesome:
Reply 98
Joanna May

True true, it is good I have the Oyster card otherwise the cost of day tickets and things would be insane! I can actually get a return ticket for like £9.00 and that cuts costs too since I'm there often.

And you're right in the fact that if I lived there I'd be okay since it's all relative, but as an outsider it's like robbery lol!

Personally I like smaller more welcoming and picturesque towns and cities like Lichfield, Bristol, York or Ludlow
Reply 99
I don't mind visiting every so often but I'd absolutely hate to live there. It's one of my worst nightmares, living in London. And it's not because it's a big city and all that jazz- I've lived in Lima which is equally massive and a lot more hectic. There's just something about London that I really don't like. But I do like visiting on occasion, going shopping or to the West End- I just wouldn't want to be there more than a couple of days.

Latest

Trending

Trending