The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Sour grapes....
Interesting.

I think there is a massive difference between institutional racism, and everyone being prepared to have a laugh about the issue of race.

Mentioning 'wog grade' is a sure fire way to get in trouble here.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if she is going through that "my people have been oppressed" stage that most black people seem to go through in my experience, and according to several I have spoken to its part of growing up as a black.

While going through such a phase they are generally somewhat antagonistic, and perhaps one can see why the medical school may want to give them the shove before feathers started flying in the work place.

What I'm trying to say is reading between the lines there is possibly far less of a one sided argument in her favor here, but in short there isn't enough information to say for certain.

As for the badge, unless it was something along the lines of "muppet who had to take the foundation year", I fail to see how its out of order. The chances are it was simply Name, Year + foundation.
Democracy
Oh, I thought due to the way the paper had written it, it would be something really obvious (and humiliating). My bad.

Even still, I dunno, there are definitely people I know at uni who would use the oppurtunity to have a go at someone for being on a longer course.

In terms of her case, obviously if it's true it's really terrible and the university should compensate her, and if possible allow her to resit her final year, but £300000 seems sort of...excessive?

I think she's grossly overestimating FY1 wages there :rofl:

And I can see where you're coming from that people would take the piss for doing the longer course but that's life, not racism.
Reply 23
Democracy
Even still, I dunno, there are definitely people I know at uni who would use the oppurtunity to have a go at someone for being on a longer course.
Wot like GEPs do? :wink:

In terms of her case, obviously if it's true it's really terrible and the university should compensate her, and if possible allow her to resit her final year, but £300000 seems sort of...excessive?
It might be that their biggest failing was to give her the impression that she could do medicine? :evil:
junglemonkey
I think she's grossly overestimating FY1 wages there

And I can see where you're coming from that people would take the piss for doing the longer course but that's life, not racism.

I realise that, however, a lot of snobs at uni use that type of thing as a starting point, and then later on get on to the obviously racist behaviour she was describing. Often bullying is a progression from a small thing, e.g. someone being perceived as being "less clever" than others, which then gets onto more serious stuff, like the racism.
Reply 25
terpineol
Mentioning 'wog grade' is a sure fire way to get in trouble here.That's cos most of them are ******** who haven't a clue what it means.
Reply 26
terpineol
I think white proles can do the access course too you know.
I'm not sure about that...
Reply 27
terpineol
I think white proles can do the access course too you know.

Proles aren't all black, that is a rather dated distinction to use.

The link stated she got in via a scheme for disadvantaged students i.e. all black students at Kings got in via this scheme.
Reply 28
junglemonkey
I think she's grossly overestimating FY1 wages there :rofl:

Lawyers :rolleyes: - they no doubt will argue you lose a year of your earning potential and that it is the year at the end of your career that you lose and consider the maximum earning potential of that. :tongue:
Renal
Wot like GEPs do? :wink:

Maybe

It might be that their biggest failing was to give her the impression that she could do medicine?

She'd passed the first 5 years, what's to say she couldn't have completed the last? :unsure:
Reply 30
Democracy
She'd passed the first 5 years, what's to say she couldn't have completed the last? :unsure:
Then she's unusual for her course. :evil:
Reply 31
I don't trust her, it's something about the colour of her skin...

joking
S.C.M.
The link stated she got in via a scheme for disadvantaged students i.e. all black students at Kings got in via this scheme.

Ah, I thought disadvantaged meant from poor backgrounds only with access to bad schools, not coloured.

Is there that much of a socioeconomic divide between whites and blacks in london?
Renal
I'm not sure about that...

Extended Medical Degree Programme MBBS

Eligibility for the EMDP
To be eligible to be considered for the EMDP programme, you must be attending, or have attended in the last two years, a non-selective state school or FE College in specific Boroughs in London and south-east England recognised to have high levels of social disadvantage (listed below). Satisfactory documentary evidence will be requested.

We regret that the EMDP programme is unable to accept any student classified as overseas for fees purposes. For more information on fee classification, please contact the Student Admissions Office.

I found that on the website, assuming London the listed districts aren't all shanty towns surely white people could get onto the course?
Reply 34
terpineol
Ah, I thought disadvantaged meant from poor backgrounds only with access to bad schools, not coloured.

Is there that much of a socioeconomic divide between whites and blacks in london?
In Southwark and Lambeth...

http://chinesesex.herechina.net/sitearchive/cre/diversity/map/london/southwark.html
http://chinesesex.herechina.net/sitearchive/cre/diversity/map/london/lambeth.html

(What the **** is up with that URL? Honestly, they lead to an archive of the CRE's borough diversity pages)
I find it hard to believe she would get racist abuse purely because kings is such a diverse university in terms of ethnicity.

My medical friend studies there and she's black, and she never mentions any form of racial bullying.
S.C.M.
Put it this way, not all the poor people in London are black but all blacks are poor, pretty much. So you throw them a bone, and like the animals they are they chew it up and spit it back at you.

Are you ******* joking?
All blacks are poor?
Really, is that true? Are you sure about that?
All blacks. Every last one of them?
Reply 37
Bubbles*de*Milo
Are you ******* joking?
All blacks are poor?
Really, is that true? Are you sure about that?
All blacks. Every last one of them?

I said pretty much.
S.C.M.
Put it this way, not all the poor people in London are black but all blacks are poor, pretty much. So you throw them a bone, and like the animals they are they chew it up and spit it back at you.

What an absolutely disgraceful and retarded thing to right - well done on feeling like a 'big-boy' over the internet :rolleyes:
Reply 39
S.C.M.

Shut up you moron!

This is supposed to be a serious thread - take your racist crap somewhere else!

Latest

Trending

Trending