The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

this is going to end badly...
S.C.M.
I said pretty much.

Oh, wow, that makes it sensical.
I can assure you, there are Middle Class black people.
Reply 42
Ataloss
Shut up you moron!

This is supposed to be a serious thread - take your racist crap someone else!

What was racist about that?
Reply 43
king's suck tbh :proud:
Ataloss
Shut up you moron!

This is supposed to be a serious thread - take your racist crap somewhere else!

Why is this thread posted in GD, where every moron can come and troll it up?
Reply 45
Bubbles*de*Milo
Oh, wow, that makes it sensical.
I can assure you, there are Middle Class black people.

I'm sure there are, hence 'pretty much'.
Democracy
Why is this thread posted in GD, where every moron can come and troll it up?

Because it's a story about racism at uni, which happens to be a med school, rather than racism in med schools.
If that makes sense.
S.C.M.
I'm sure there are, hence 'pretty much'.

Ahhh, 'pretty much', it all makes sense now. :rolleyes:
Renal
In Southwark and Lambeth...

http://chinesesex.herechina.net/sitearchive/cre/diversity/map/london/southwark.html
http://chinesesex.herechina.net/sitearchive/cre/diversity/map/london/lambeth.html

(What the **** is up with that URL? Honestly, they lead to an archive of the CRE's borough diversity pages)

Good find, though it still leaves 60% as white.

I never realised there was this social apartheid in admissions though. I thought we gave that up a few years back.
Reply 49
Bubbles*de*Milo
Ahhh, 'pretty much', it all makes sense now. :rolleyes:

I knew you would get there eventually.
As for the argument, I don't have enough information to comment.

However, these sorts of scandals make me feel uncomfortable. It's like anything you say can be interpreted as racism and then you'll get your ass jailed for it.
terpineol

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if she is going through that "my people have been oppressed" stage that most black people seem to go through in my experience, and according to several I have spoken to its part of growing up as a black.

While going through such a phase they are generally somewhat antagonistic, and perhaps one can see why the medical school may want to give them the shove before feathers started flying in the work place.

What? This comment just adds to the validity of the article.

What a disgusting thing to say...Talk about stereotyping .
forsaken_earth
As for the argument, I don't have enough information to comment.

However, these sorts of scandals make me feel uncomfortable. It's like anything you say can be interpreted as racism and then you'll get your ass jailed for it.

The worst thing is those things you say that weren't meant that way.

For instance

A mate an I were in a cafe having a cup of tea the other day when I mentioned that a rather hardworking and thoroughly decent bloke in my year, who is also rather dark, had been working like a slave on our presentation.

I didn't see the potential for racist joke in this until it was too late, but something in crossing that line so absentmindedly was absolutely hilarious. I can see such a verbal screw up could well be taken as racism, even though it was in no way intended as such.
SomeNextPirate
What? This comment just adds to the validity of the article.

What a disgusting thing to say...Talk about stereotyping .

The bloke who pointed it out to me though was as black as they come.

Not my observation.
terpineol
The worst thing is those things you say that weren't meant that way.

For instance

A mate an I were in a cafe having a cup of tea the other day when I mentioned that a rather hardworking and thoroughly decent bloke in my year, who is also rather dark, had been working like a slave on our presentation.

I didn't see the potential for racist joke in this until it was too late, but something in crossing that line so absentmindedly was absolutely hilarious. I can see such a verbal screw up could well be taken as racism, even though it was in no way intended as such.

lol you really do have a way with words
terpineol

Not my observation.

So you just repeat everything people tell you?

Something which evidently untrue, and said just for impact no doubt.
terpineol

Not my observation.

Ive heard several black people say similar things.

Any minority has to learn to cope with it. There's no point of denying that racial differences exist. Whether that becomes an issue is a different question.
SomeNextPirate

I'd be interested to hear what you find so disgusting about that statement.
SomeNextPirate

Thus far I've only ever known four black people, such is their absence both here and where I grew up, so I don't like to think I've known enough of them to comment. Though of the four I've known one pointed this out, one went though a terrible 'everything is racist' phase, and the other two are old enough to have been through it. One apparently went through it a few years back, and I can't understand enough of what the final one says to engage in any meaningful conversation.

What do people who have grown up with blacks think on the issue?
forsaken_earth
I'd be interested to hear what you find so disgusting about that statement.

I find the insinuation that black people, and members of my family, are simple minded people who go through a phase of self pity.

Latest

Trending

Trending