The Student Room Group

Should Oxford and Cambridge expand?

Poll

Should Oxford and Cambridge expand?

A TSR user suggested yesterday - due to the overwhelming numbers of applicants to these two institutions - that more constituent colleges should be built, in order to accept more of those well-suited to the system there. Indeed, the universities themselves admit that they are forced to turn down candidates who they believe would flourish immensely on their course. With 3% of A level students getting AAA application numbers are growing rapidly, and soon enough many conjecture that each course will have at least fifteen applicants per place.

Should they therefore expand?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it risks 'diluting' the quality of student I would say not. There are other good Universities for them to go to. If people (such as myself) are still interested after a first degree they can do post-grad.
Reply 2
I am saying yes simply because it would increase my own chances, although the probability of more colleges being built and gaining a royal charter (I think they need one don't they?) by next year is very small lol.
It also would make good sense considering that Oxbridge has a good teaching system as well as research quality which means that more students get the opportunity to improve their skills in a way that some unis might not offer. There are obviously plenty of people who can achieve the grades and have the talent but the competition means that they cannot get in.

Then again like the person above said
There are other good Universities for them to go to. If people (such as myself) are still interested after a first degree they can do post-grad.

I agree with this because places like LSE are just as good if not better than Oxbridge for certain subjects.

So really its up to Oxbridge lol
Reply 3
I think they could possibly try to expand gradually and see how that works out - particularly since I'm thinking of applying and if the odds could be altered to favour me I'm obviously not going to complain :wink:

But at the same time, for people who go there, it must be amazing to be in such a small minority of epicness. Expanding it would make it less of a big deal, in the same way that loads of people going to university makes having a degree less of a standout feature.
Of course, I think there may also be financial issues (although I believe Oxford and Cambridge are quite sorted in this department).
yes they should, would give people like me more of a chance XD
Reply 6
No it would cost way to much.
If I was to answer 'yes', the only reason would be to improve my own chances.
However, I don't think they should.
Reply 8
necessarily benevolent
A TSR user suggested yesterday - due to the overwhelming numbers of applicants to these two institutions - that more constituent colleges should be built, in order to accept more of those well-suited to the system there. Indeed, the universities themselves admit that they are forced to turn down candidates who they believe would flourish immensely on their course. With 3% of A level students getting AAA application numbers are growing rapidly, and soon enough many conjecture that each course will have at least fifteen applicants per place.

Why is this a warned post? :s-smilie:

It is an interesting idea...I really don't see why it should have been warned.

(Edit: I still think 'no' is the answer, but still.)
Reply 9
absolutely not. the more students you admit the more diluted standards become; our higher education system is a mess, with many sub-standard universities. our elite universities must remain exactly that - elite.
Reply 10
necessarily benevolent

Is it really that few ?!?
will274
Is it really that few ?!?

As far as I was aware it was 10%
Afraid not. There can never be perfect equality or even equity. We should be focussing on improving the country's other great universities, however, if we want to come as practicably close to that ultimate goal as possible. I would be worried that increasing the size of Oxford and Cambridge would create a different dynamic, thus perhaps having an effect on the student experience. Moreover, doing so would give Oxbridge an unchallenged monopoly, whereas I believe that we need a strong group of universities for our best students. In other words, an oligopoly rather than a monopoly.

By the way, why did your post get warned? :eek:
HappyHupo
absolutely not. the more students you admit the more diluted standards become; our higher education system is a mess, with many sub-standard universities. our elite universities must remain exactly that - elite.

What evidence do you have to support that? Also, are you judging all universities against an absolute standard? I'm not attacking you, just interested.
Reply 14
jismith1989
What evidence do you have to support that? Also, are you judging all universities against an absolute standard? I'm not attacking you, just interested.

I suppose what I'm saying is that there is no common standard. For example, a first from Oxbridge is much harder to obtain than a first from say Oxford Brookes, Thames Valley or Leeds etc. It should be equally hard to get a first or a 2.1 regardless of university - the fact is, it isn't.
HappyHupo
I suppose what I'm saying is that there is no common standard. For example, a first from Oxbridge is much harder to obtain than a first from say Oxford Brookes, Thames Valley or Leeds etc. It should be equally hard to get a first or a 2.1 regardless of university - the fact is, it isn't.

Well, that is an alluring proposition, I agree, but we need to assume that such a policy is possible. I don't believe that it ever could be. Difficulty is such a slippy concept. There's a strong argument that one Oxford student may find getting a first much easier than another Oxford student, for example, simply because of the way his tutorials are, increased motivation etc. Things are only difficult if one finds them hard: the concept is not an objective one.

If a first-class degree (and tuition) from every single university were to match the assumed gold standard of Oxbridge, we would have a lot of erudite people who would have to, due to the nature of our economy, accept low-skilled jobs.
HappyHupo
a first from Oxbridge is much harder to obtain than a first from say Oxford Brookes, Thames Valley or Leeds etc.

..Did you just put Leeds in the same category as Oxford Brookes and TVU? :confused:
Reply 17
Bella_trixxx
..Did you just put Leeds in the same category as Oxford Brookes and TVU? :confused:

Yes :yep:
Bella_trixxx
..Did you just put Leeds in the same category as Oxford Brookes and TVU?

To be fair, he didn't necessarily. He just said that an Oxford degree is of a higher standard than a Leeds one (or one from...). I don't necessarily accept even that though. It assumes the worst of students: i.e. that they do the bare minimum needed to gain the degree classification. The picture is much more nuanced than that.
Reply 19
jismith1989
Well, that is an alluring proposition, I agree, but we need to assume that such a policy is possible. I don't believe that it ever could be. Difficulty is such a slippy concept. There's a strong argument that one Oxford student may find getting a first much easier than another Oxford student, for example, simply because of the way his tutorials are, increased motivation etc. Things are only difficult if one finds them hard: the concept is not an objective one.

If a first-class degree (and tuition) from every single university were to match the assumed gold standard of Oxbridge, we would have a lot of erudite people who would have to, due to the nature of our economy, accept low-skilled jobs.

but surely we should't dumb down our education system to ensure that everyone can achieve a degree? i know that's what the government is doing, but still......

Latest

Trending

Trending