The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's just my opinion - I know a lot will disagree with it :smile:

I know a lot of people pay attention to the very good applicants who are rejected but if you look at those who are taken in they deserve to be where they are.

The bar is raised for medical admissions, and I believe - once again, just my view - that those who meet it generally get atleast one offer.
pinballwizard
It's just my opinion - I know a lot will disagree with it :smile:

I know a lot of people pay attention to the very good applicants who are rejected but if you look at those who are taken in they deserve to be where they are.

The bar is raised for medical admissions, and I believe - once again, just my view - that those who meet it generally get atleast one offer.

I would disagree with you. Lots of people don't even get one interveiw and so no chance to show themselve beyond a piece of paper.

As to the OP medicine is tough to get into, but it isnt impossible.
Of course, but medical students in general are very cynical, and some - some aren't as nice as they want to appear.

Oh wait... now I'm being cynical... :sad:

Unfortunately, you have to make sure you look good on paper (which means... writing something people will like opposed to something you are necessarily 100% happy with... although they're not mutually exclusive) to get the interview.
Toiletpaper8
Of course, but medical students in general are very cynical, and some - some aren't as nice as they want to appear.

Oh wait... now I'm being cynical... :sad:

Unfortunately, you have to make sure you look good on paper (which means... writing something people will like opposed to something you are necessarily 100% happy with... although they're not mutually exclusive) to get the interview.

Personally I would regard the PS as a practical exercise in spin doctoring.

Mine was complete tripe, did the job though.
Toiletpaper8
Of course, but medical students in general are very cynical

terpineol

The roffles this is providing are amazing :p:
Reply 45
Ah, but terpineol is one of the extreme cynics.
Alex L
The roffles this is providing are amazing :p:

After experimenting with a significant quantity of carlsberg special brew last night I'm emerging from a stinking hangover. I tend to be at my most cynical under such circumstances.

It says share responsibly on the side of the tin (each one is 4.5 units!), I should have taken the hint.
I dont think I could be that cynical wrt applications. I was honest on my PS.
terpineol

My first version got this written on it:

"This will alienate members of the medical profession"

Apparently you shouldn't criticise contemporary medical practice in your PS :rolleyes:
terpineol
After experimenting with a significant quantity of carlsberg special brew last night I'm emerging from a stinking hangover. I tend to be at my most cynical under such circumstances.

It says share responsibly on the side of the tin (each one is 4.5 units!), I should have taken the hint.

Good effort on that, but dare I ask what a significant quantity is? Or will it be too worrying :p:
crazylemon

Don't worry, they won't find a confession here :wink:
Reply 51
This is the same story everywhere. Although one of my friends got offers from both UCL and ICL. Quite an achievement imo.
crazylemon

Well, Southampton liked it - you can't really get a much higher seal of approval wrt your PS :p:
Alex L
Good effort on that, but dare I ask what a significant quantity is? Or will it be too worrying :p:

Four tins (each one counts as three tins), just a couple of pints and a few vodka redbulls.

Christ knows how I made it home.
terpineol
Don't worry, they won't find a confession here :wink:

I speak the honest truth everything on there I have done in full. No exaggeration.
terpineol
Four tins (each one counts as three tins), just a couple of pints and a few vodka redbulls.

Christ knows how I made it home.

:rofl:

I hate to say it, but that hangover was well deserved :p:
Toiletpaper8
Well, Southampton liked it - you can't really get a much higher seal of approval wrt your PS :p:

True. Shows there is no need to be anthing but honest.
Toiletpaper8
My first version got this written on it:

"This will alienate members of the medical profession"

Apparently you shouldn't criticise contemporary medical practice in your PS :rolleyes:

Good work, my first draft simply said come to my office and I shall write you a personal statement, you can then elaborate on it in an entirely truthful manner, and we will hand it in, written on it.
Alex L
:rofl:

I hate to say it, but that hangover was well deserved :p:

One of my proudest moments from last year was getting onto the 'overheard in st andrews' facebook group.

Someone reported seeing "A rather well spoken chap staggered out of the union and walked straight into a lamp post. He took a step back, said 'awfully sorry' it, and went to shake hands with the aforementioned lamp post."
Reply 59
Mask Of Sanity
Reading such anecdotes makes me consider suicide.

No...:eek:

Don't die...:eek:

We need to have a pakora party...:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending