The Student Room Group
Reply 1
**R**
im thinking of applying to Ucas to do either radiography or physiotherapy, i know its very late at this stage, but can you apply for both these courses in the one application ? and is it hard to get into radiography courses ? and if anyone is doing radiography can they tell me a bit about the course , thanks

You can indeed apply for both on the same application - although it might be hard trying to sell yourself for both subjects in one UCAS form.......
Reply 2
yeah it was the ps that i was worried about fitting them both in on, and how to work my ps around two courses
Reply 3
**R**
yeah it was the ps that i was worried about fitting them both in on, and how to work my ps around two courses

it could be done.......the two subjects aren't poles apart compared to some subjects so I'm sure with abit of practice it could be done........

will you be applying for 2006 entry....? what uni's are u interested in for Physio?
Reply 4
im hoping to get in on Extra for next September, not sure exactly which uni's ,whatever still has vacancies i suppose
Reply 5
I agree with Jackie, although generally it's not recommended that you apply for two different disciplines - I was told by a physiotherapy tutor that if they find out that you have applied for different subjects they will not seriously consider you for physio as it shows you are not 100% committed to being a physio.
I can see their point but as a student you also want to be able to keep your options open. I would probably do some research into both, try and get a bit of work experience (this will help a lot) and then bite the bullet.

It is scary though, putting all your eggs in one basket.
Reply 6
**R**
im hoping to get in on Extra for next September, not sure exactly which uni's ,whatever still has vacancies i suppose

the following uni's have extra vacancies:

bournemouth
coventry
east london
hertfordshire
northumbria

If had to pick I'd probably say:

coventry
bournemouth
hertfordhsire
northumbria
east london

but thats just me

courses at coventry, bournemouth and herts = very good

I'd get your app in early though as there were alot more places through extra a few weeks ago

quite a few places become available through clearing due to high entry requirements
Reply 7
if you've no physio work experience at the mo then I would highly suggest youd on't apply as you're chances of getting in are practically zero...
Reply 8
JackieS
the following uni's have extra vacancies:

bournemouth
coventry
east london
hertfordshire
northumbria

If had to pick I'd probably say:

coventry
bournemouth
hertfordhsire
northumbria
east london

but thats just me

courses at coventry, bournemouth and herts = very good

I'd get your app in early though as there were alot more places through extra a few weeks ago

quite a few places become available through clearing due to high entry requirements

thanks so much for that, really helpful as i have only just started to research these courses, i will be sending off form in next few days once iv written a personal statement
Reply 9
JackieS
if you've no physio work experience at the mo then I would highly suggest youd on't apply as you're chances of getting in are practically zero...

Really ??? no iv no previous experience or anything. applying for this is more of backup plan cos i had applied to GTTR to do primary teaching, and iv had nothing but one problem after another with it, and i still dont have a placement yet, so as i was panicking over that , i decided to look at other options that is why im so late applying , and have no research done on courses or unis. i was worried about lack of work experience and
placements and did wonder if it would affect chances of being accepted onto a course
Reply 10
**R**
Really ??? no iv no previous experience or anything. applying for this is more of backup plan cos i had applied to GTTR to do primary teaching, and iv had nothing but one problem after another with it, and i still dont have a placement yet, so as i was panicking over that , i decided to look at other options that is why im so late applying , and have no research done on courses or unis. i was worried about lack of work experience and
placements and did wonder if it would affect chances of being accepted onto a course

they love work experience - at least hospital related even if not physio

you're chances are slim to none of getting in without it
Reply 11
JackieS
they love work experience - at least hospital related even if not physio

you're chances are slim to none of getting in without it

I'm afraid I agree with Jackie, the uni's expect you to know all about the profession and have experienced working in the area yourself (even if it's just observing). Unless you've actually experienced what it's like most uni's wont even consider you, and why should they?

It takes a certain type of person to be a physio and there is so much competition for the places they will only pick the best- at the end of the day why offer someone a place who hasn't experienced what the job is like? They might decide 3 months down the line that they don't like it and drop out of the course- preventing someone who has work experience and a genuine desire to do it, from getting a place.
Reply 12
My advice to you would be, if you're totally sure about physio, then take a year out.....work as a physio assistant, or a health care assistant.....and shadow some physio's.....and apply next year............you stand the slimmest hope EVER of getting in, I would say its not even worth it
Reply 13
thanks for all the help and advice. i think i will not apply now because not much point really. i graduated last may so this is my year out, i dont think i could take another year next year. i took a year out to figure out whether i wanted to do primary teaching or go the physio or radiography route, because i wasnt sure which i would prefer to do. i decided to get some experience in both areas during my year off ito help me make my mind up. i did work experience as teaching assisstant for 5 weeks last may/june and because i liked it so much i decided on teaching route and got further 2 months experience in school and educational setting to help with my application for teaching. because i liked the teaching so much i decided to pursue that , and didnt follow my plan of taking physio work experience after teaching experience was done. so when my application for teaching has come to nothing so far, i started to panic, and look for other options for next september so that i was not stuck with nothing to do.so i returned to my physio idea in hopes that that would work, even though i knew my lack of work experience and knowledge would be a problem.

thanks for all the help, i find this whole process a bit confusing and scary, so advice is much appreciated !!
Reply 14
**R**
thanks for all the help and advice. i think i will not apply now because not much point really. i graduated last may so this is my year out, i dont think i could take another year next year. i took a year out to figure out whether i wanted to do primary teaching or go the physio or radiography route, because i wasnt sure which i would prefer to do. i decided to get some experience in both areas during my year off ito help me make my mind up. i did work experience as teaching assisstant for 5 weeks last may/june and because i liked it so much i decided on teaching route and got further 2 months experience in school and educational setting to help with my application for teaching. because i liked the teaching so much i decided to pursue that , and didnt follow my plan of taking physio work experience after teaching experience was done. so when my application for teaching has come to nothing so far, i started to panic, and look for other options for next september so that i was not stuck with nothing to do.so i returned to my physio idea in hopes that that would work, even though i knew my lack of work experience and knowledge would be a problem.

thanks for all the help, i find this whole process a bit confusing and scary, so advice is much appreciated !!

before you totally quit the idea of physio have you considered graduate entry?

KCL is out of the question because its course starts in September - BUT some uni's have feb/march intake

this would mean, if you wanted to do physio badly, you could get loads of experience between now and then, apply and prob stand a good chance of getting in

BTW - What was ur degree in? What did u get? and wot a-levels did you do
Reply 15
yeah i did think of graduate entry, but i thought that would b harder to get into/accepted, but mayb not, of course it is worth a try !!! and a later course start date would really suit, especially as i could fit in work experience and shadowing or something during that time.

it was an arts degree, english and sociology. in sociology i did a module in sociology of sport, and also 3 modules health related, but im not sure if that would be useful or relevant for doing physio. my results were nt great- i only got a 2:2 in english and only a pass in sociol. i didnt do A levels cos im not from Uk, im from Ireland,i did 8 subjects for my final year exams that would b equivalent to A levels, one of the subjecs being biology
Reply 16
**R**
yeah i did think of graduate entry, but i thought that would b harder to get into/accepted, but mayb not, of course it is worth a try !!! and a later course start date would really suit, especially as i could fit in work experience and shadowing or something during that time.

it was an arts degree, english and sociology. in sociology i did a module in sociology of sport, and also 3 modules health related, but im not sure if that would be useful or relevant for doing physio. my results were nt great- i only got a 2:2 in english and only a pass in sociol. i didnt do A levels cos im not from Uk, im from Ireland,i did 8 subjects for my final year exams that would b equivalent to A levels, one of the subjecs being biology

I just had a look on the net for you, the following courses have delayed entry
Aberdeen (Feb entry)
Brighton (March or April) - MSc Rehab Science - still qualified to practice though
Teeside - Feb
Leeds Met - Feb

I wouldn't be put off by not having a physio related 1st degree - one of the girls at KCL did mechanical engineering!
Reply 17
thats great, thanks a mill for that, il look into them now
Reply 18
**R**
thats great, thanks a mill for that, il look into them now

3 warnings though

1/ The usual minimum requriement is a high 2:1 HOWEVER, I would imagine it would be possible to get on with a 2:2 if you have impressive and adequate work experience which will make up for it - they are looking for people who can go the distance in the course. Physio is hard work mentally, especially at graduate entry

2/ Make sure you get a variety of work experience - lots in the NHS - and you must be TOTALLY sure it is what you want. Just ask *starbuck* who posts on here...........she did some work experience in a private clinic and loved it, then did some NHS work after she'd made her UCAS application and HATED it. She's now withdrawn from UCAS and is doing something else. Uni's train physios to work in the NHS so you MUST make sure some/most of your experience is in this sector.

3/ Number of places are limited - one of those unis I listed only had 10 available places - most have 22 or so - so apply for as many as you can.

If, after doing ur physio work experience, you are toally sure its what you want to do, then I would apply again next year even though you don't like the idea of doing so at the moment.........if you want to do it that badly, I believe you'll make the sacrifice

Latest