The Student Room Group

Bristol vets 2009 - current bristol vets help please :)

I havent chosen Bristol as my firm yet because I havent decided on where i would prefer to go, but theres a thread for Liverpool, Nottingham and RVC so thought i'd make one for Bristol :smile:
& im sure people have plenty of questions for current Bristol vets so i thought this thread would be a way to track them down ! lol

I was just wondering what is the difference between university halls and the student houses :s-smilie:
Im trying to decide on which accomodation i'd go for if i do choose Bristol, but im totally clueless ! lol
I need advice :smile: all i know is i definatley want to go self catered :smile:

Scroll to see replies

laurasaurus
I was just wondering what is the difference between university halls and the student houses :s-smilie:
Im trying to decide on which accomodation i'd go for if i do choose Bristol, but im totally clueless ! lol
I need advice :smile: all i know is i definatley want to go self catered :smile:

Student houses are similar to student halls. They do vary in size, some are small (ie; ~10 people) and some are large and almost as big if not as big as some halls (ie; Northwell, Winky, etc with 100+ people). Houses are normally split into flats of varying sizes (ie; 4-8 people) each sharing a kitchen and a couple of shower rooms as opposed to being on a corridor.

A lot of the halls are situated out at Stoke Bishop (ie; Wills, Durdham, etc) which is a little out of the town on the other hand most of the student houses are more local to the uni precinct.

All of the student houses are 100% self catered. They're also generally cheaper than being in halls rent wise.

At the end of the day you're going to enjoy your time wherever you end up and being a vet student it's not like you're going to have plenty of time to lounge around staring at your 4 walls.

PS: Get your accommodation form in as quickly as possible to guarantee that you get to where you want to be. I applied late but to 'under subscribed' places and still didn't end up there:wink:
Reply 2
ch0c0h01ic
Student houses are similar to student halls. They do vary in size, some are small (ie; ~10 people) and some are large and almost as big if not as big as some halls (ie; Northwell, Winky, etc with 100+ people). Houses are normally split into flats of varying sizes (ie; 4-8 people) each sharing a kitchen and a couple of shower rooms as opposed to being on a corridor.

A lot of the halls are situated out at Stoke Bishop (ie; Wills, Durdham, etc) which is a little out of the town on the other hand most of the student houses are more local to the uni precinct.

All of the student houses are 100% self catered. They're also generally cheaper than being in halls rent wise.

At the end of the day you're going to enjoy your time wherever you end up and being a vet student it's not like you're going to have plenty of time to lounge around staring at your 4 walls.

PS: Get your accommodation form in as quickly as possible to guarantee that you get to where you want to be. I applied late but to 'under subscribed' places and still didn't end up there:wink:

oo thankyou for your help :smile:
cuz i was looking at richmond terrace i think its called, which is one of the student houses we saw on the open day and it was soo nice,loved the en suites ! lol but i didnt know what the difference was between the student house or uni halls
is the main difference that there is a bar & common room in a uni hall, but not in student houses ?
theres so many different ones to choose from after looking at the bristol accomodation website !! i know that i would like an en-suite which rules out like one of the self-catered places, but that still leaves about 5 to choose from lol
where did you stay/staying ?
I'm defo going halls for first year, just because it's not the sort of thing I'm gonna go back to when I'm in later years, more of a 1st year sort of thing. If you don't go halls in 1st year, you'll never go halls, and you won't have experienced it. I don't think anyone stays in a student houses and then moves to halls later on
Reply 4
Transatlanticdrawl_
I'm defo going halls for first year, just because it's not the sort of thing I'm gonna go back to when I'm in later years, more of a 1st year sort of thing. If you don't go halls in 1st year, you'll never go halls, and you won't have experienced it. I don't think anyone stays in a student houses and then moves to halls later on

yeah id like to get the whole halls experience i think, then i could always move into student houses in 2nd year :smile:
just cant narrow it down to which halls ! lol
have u decided ?
Reply 5
laurasaurus
yeah id like to get the whole halls experience i think, then i could always move into student houses in 2nd year :smile:
just cant narrow it down to which halls ! lol
have u decided ?

some of the student houses are basically halls - the hawthorns for example is classed as a student house, but is basically a hall
Reply 6
Annaconda
some of the student houses are basically halls - the hawthorns for example is classed as a student house, but is basically a hall

arghhhh theres too much choice !
and im crap at making decisions lol
im going to end up just picking it out a hat lol
Well I'm trying to decide, not too sure at the moment, same as you lol

I was thinking Stoke Bishop, but what put me off was the distance (2 miles (?) every single day would get a bit tedious), and also that I've been told there aren't any gyms out there. So now I'm thinking clifton, and I'm also leaning towards catered because I can never be bothered to cook anything, it's so much hastle having to do a big shop, cook every day, keep food in my room where people can't nick it, then wash dishes, just seems a burden.

So I'm sort of narrowing it quite a bit, but still not 100% certain. Another thing I thought about, if you go catered, is that at dinnertime aswell (midday time)? because no one would get back to stoke bishop in time when they've only got like an hour to get lunch!
Reply 8
Transatlanticdrawl_

I was thinking Stoke Bishop, but what put me off was the distance (2 miles (?) every single day would get a bit tedious), and also that I've been told there aren't any gyms out there. So now I'm thinking clifton, and I'm also leaning towards catered because I can never be bothered to cook anything, it's so much hastle having to do a big shop, cook every day, keep food in my room where people can't nick it, then wash dishes, just seems a burden.

So I'm sort of narrowing it quite a bit, but still not 100% certain. Another thing I thought about, if you go catered, is that at dinnertime aswell (midday time)? because no one would get back to stoke bishop in time when they've only got like an hour to get lunch!

lol yeah im a bit put off my the whole distance thing, i guess its getting good exercise but i dunno if i could be doing with that every day ! lol especially early in the morning and if its tipping it down raining, and in the winter too brrr
oo i didnt realise there werent any gym facilities there, are they all at clifton ? cuz i was planning on joining one too
i was looking at durdham hall & university hall at stoke bishop, and goldney hall in clifton
then woodland court but it doesnt say where that is :s-smilie:
with catered itd be great having meals cooked for me, but im vegetarian so i duno what the options would be like & i eat at weird times too, like i dont like eating my evening meal until about half 7/ 8 o clock and i think they serve up at about 5 so itd be a waste of money cuz i wouldnt eat it that early lol
so self catered for me, and ill just live on baked beans and soup :P
haha nah i enjoy cooking so i wont mind it really :smile:

i havnt really looked into any of the catered options but i think its 3 meals a day if its fully catered ? which could be a problem if you cant make it back for lunch :|
Reply 9
Choosing accommodation is proving to be very, very daunting experience. There are too many options, and when I feel I've warmed up to the prospect of one place, I find out it's over-subscribed.

Also I think Bris doesn't care how early you send in your app form, because they don't operate on a first-come-first-served basis (or at least that's what it says on their website).

Gahhhhhhhh!

The criteria I want are:
*en-suite.
*self-catered. (kitchens also seem to be good socially. Opinion formed by visiting friends' halls.)
* Within walking distance. Walking 1.20 hours a day is lol-inducing for me :tongue: Unless I can ride a bike or something. In which case my sister has advised me to get a really really ugly looking one, that's basically rusted scrap metal, so people don't feel the inclination to steal it :tongue:
Reply 10
can i just say non en-suite is no wear as bad as most people seem to think-it means you dont have to clean the bathroom as the cleaners do and you get free loo roll. also you never have to wait for a free shower. also non ensuite bathrooms are alot bigger and ensuite bedrooms are smaller than non ensuite bedrooms cause the bathroom takes abit of your room space up.

also non ensuite are cheaper.

and dissey on the bike front-invest in a good lock. i dont know anyone who had had their bike stolen though as long as its locked up.
dissey dont get a bike, theres too many hills
Reply 12
How steep are these hills? And hmmm, still don't know about the shared bathroom. A friend of mine that has en suite (not at bris) has her room + bathroom cleaned once a week, and loo roll is restocked by the maid.
Reply 13
have you not seen bristol?! i would not want to bike up some of those hills. i am so glad i did the half marathon in liverpool not bristol lolll. i imagine if they did one there the hills would be more than killers-i think liverpools hills are bad enough.
Reply 14
No, I haven't seen the hills :frown: Gah, they're really that bad? On the other hand - perfect opportunity for becoming the 'slim toned Gods of the Vet world' as Emma the Hippy once put it :tongue:

And it would take seriously less time, it's the time spend walking I'm most bothered about. It would take ages each day, not cool.

I really wish I could visit, why must plane tickets be so expensive?!?!
well we had to drive up half the hills in first gear cos they were so steep. and the vet building was pretty high up i think
Reply 16
Oh jesus. Right, I guess Clifton accom. is pretty much out of the picture.
laurasaurus
is the main difference that there is a bar & common room in a uni hall, but not in student houses ?

A lot of the student houses do actually have common rooms and fully functioning JCRs which organise events (ie; BBQs, bar crawls, etc). The only thing they certainly don't have is a bar (Winky did actually apply for a license but was rejected), then again most students have hundreds of bottles kicking around and it's much cheaper than a bar.

The common room at Northwell for instance had a big tv, several settees, a couple of coffee tables, etc.

laurasaurus
theres so many different ones to choose from after looking at the bristol accomodation website !! i know that i would like an en-suite which rules out like one of the self-catered places, but that still leaves about 5 to choose from lol
where did you stay/staying ?

I stayed at Northwell in my first year, it was rough around the edges (I got the impression they were renovating it anyway) but I still had a great time. After that you can stay on in halls or you can go and rent a house (which is what the vast majority of people do).

Dissey
Also I think Bris doesn't care how early you send in your app form, because they don't operate on a first-come-first-served basis (or at least that's what it says on their website).

You say that but in my first year everyone in my flat didn't get the choices they wanted (even when a lot of us applied to under sub places), what we had in common is that we all sent our forms in late.

J_E_N_N_Y
can i just say non en-suite is no wear as bad as most people seem to think-it means you dont have to clean the bathroom as the cleaners do and you get free loo roll. also you never have to wait for a free shower. also non ensuite bathrooms are alot bigger and ensuite bedrooms are smaller than non ensuite bedrooms cause the bathroom takes abit of your room space up.

also non ensuite are cheaper.

Very few places have cleaners which come in and clean your rooms for you while you're away:wink: If they do, expect to pay for the privilege but also there is a degree of aggravation, the cleaners can/often grass you up to the wardens if you've got contraband in your room (ie; unchecked electrical equipment, pets, guests who haven't signed in, etc).

Student housing is cheap, the walls are thin. Ensuites can be pretty noisy when your mate next door comes in with alcohol poisoning and proceeds to vomit continuously for a couple of hours or decides to have rampant shower sex in his/her ensuite which is connected to your room. At least if your toilets and showers are discontinuous you're less likely to get that sort of disruption (unless you're the one having sex while vomiting down the toilet late at night - I guess you could call it multitasking).

The vets are pretty much always the first people up, you're not the kind of people to have problems queuing for showers in the morning. I was always up and out of the door in my flat well before my 7 other flatmates.
Transatlanticdrawl_

I'm not sure about Bris specifically but i think most catered halls provide breakfast and an evening meal mon-fri then 3 meals a day at the weekend so you wouldn't have to keep going back for lunch
Reply 19
ch0c0h01ic

Very few places have cleaners which come in and clean your rooms for you while you're away:wink: If they do, expect to pay for the privilege but also there is a degree of aggravation, the cleaners can/often grass you up to the wardens if you've got contraband in your room (ie; unchecked electrical equipment, pets, guests who haven't signed in, etc).

Student housing is cheap, the walls are thin. Ensuites can be pretty noisy when your mate next door comes in with alcohol poisoning and proceeds to vomit continuously for a couple of hours or decides to have rampant shower sex in his/her ensuite which is connected to your room. At least if your toilets and showers are discontinuous you're less likely to get that sort of disruption (unless you're the one having sex while vomiting down the toilet late at night - I guess you could call it multitasking).

o that sucks. our cleaners are realy nice. all of the out of town halls have them apart from the self catered blocks where they only do the common areas not your actual room. the cleaners for catered accom clean the kitchen and corridors daily (mon-fri) and bathrooms 2-3 times a week. And your room is cleaned once a week (hovered, bin changed, sink cleaned, bed made if your cleaner is realy nice).

I know what you mean about thin walls though. i dont have ensuite, but rooms mirror each other so you have your bed on the same wall as one of your neighbours so its like having about 2 inches between you. can be a bit to close sometimes.

Latest

Trending

Trending