The Student Room Group
I don't see why you couldn't do higher tier, it's perfectly possible if you're prepared to work hard. You don't need to get a tutor, but I guess if that will help you then by all means go for it!
Reply 2
If you're getting C's, I would say definitely do Higher!!
Otherwise, you're just limiting yourself to be honest...
Yeah, agreed! How much did you revise for the mock? If you didn't do much, then you can definitely improve your grade quite a bit. :smile:
I didn't revise at all for my mock.

I'm getting a tutor because I want to be confident! And because then I can have a reason to try hard.
GdotL
If you're getting C's, I would say definitely do Higher!!
Otherwise, you're just limiting yourself to be honest...

QFT.

OP, look at it this way. If you're at grade C standard and you do Foundation, you have to get top marks in order to get a C, whereas if you take the Higher paper, you've got more scope for improvement (i.e. if you got low marks you'd get a C, anything above that is just like bonus points!).

Please don't take this out of context, but the reading exam is comparatively easy. I did the AQA GCSE, and on the listening paper, you only got to hear the tape twice, so you couldn't check your answers. However, on the reading, you can do the parts you know and go back to bits you're not sure of as many times as you like. Provided you know all of the vocabulary (I'm sure that AQA had a list of words they use on their site somewhere, maybe under "Key Documents"?), you shouldn't have too much trouble in upping your grade. :smile:
Muppety_Kid
QFT.

OP, look at it this way. If you're at grade C standard and you do Foundation, you have to get top marks in order to get a C, whereas if you take the Higher paper, you've got more scope for improvement (i.e. if you got low marks you'd get a C, anything above that is just like bonus points!).

Please don't take this out of context, but the reading exam is comparatively easy. I did the AQA GCSE, and on the listening paper, you only got to hear the tape twice, so you couldn't check your answers. However, on the reading, you can do the parts you know and go back to bits you're not sure of as many times as you like. Provided you know all of the vocabulary (I'm sure that AQA had a list of words they use on their site somewhere, maybe under "Key Documents"?), you shouldn't have too much trouble in upping your grade. :smile:

Thanks. I'm very high C in Foundation. High C in Higher and a last push could get me a B to be honest.
paniking_and_not_revising
Thanks. I'm very high C in Foundation. High C in Higher and a last push could get me a B to be honest.

Well, you said yourself that you didn't revise - provided you don't get complacent or do anything stupid in the exam, that means the worst you should be coming out with is a C...in which case I would go for the Higher paper. Anyway, feel free to ask me if there's anything else you'd like to know. :smile:
Whoops, that was off-topic. Anyway, you should almost certainly do higher.
Higher.
Thanks everyone! I'll tell my teacher tomorrow at the end of my lesson.
Definitely Higher

If you learn a lot of the vocab on here it will definitely help with the reading and listening papers: http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA3651WSG.PDF

x
My teacher said I can't do Higher. But she's given me exams to do timed and without help over Easter and if I do well enough in them then I can do Higher.

I just found out I got a D in my French Reading Higher. And a C foundation. I feel like crying.

Higher's hard but I really want to do it!
Work really hard this Easter on your French but make sure that it's not to the detriment of your other subjects. If after hard work you find that your still not getting the grades needed in French, then I'm sure that just one bad grade in French won't prevent you from doing whatever you want to do in the future - as long as it's not a French degree/job! :p:

So basically, don't worry. If you can get the grades you need to sit the higher paper - fantastic, but if not - you'll still be fine. Try your hardest, but don't just concentrate on French. Neglecting your other subjects would be a very bad thing to do.

Latest