The Student Room Group

A-level choices for med! (I am schtuck...help)

Hi!

First post (be nice :smile: ):

I need to decide my A-levels for medicine. At the mo, prospective combos are:

Chem, Bio, Computing, Music
Chem, Bio, Maths, Music
Chem, Bio, Maths, Further Maths, Music

I've e-mailed a LOOOOOOAD of uni's and they all say (bar Cambridge and Sheffield) that Maths won't give me any advantage when applying but Music may, seeing as it's an Arts subject. (So that's why I'm defo taking music)

BUT...80% of med applicants go in with 4 sciences (or 3 sci and 1 arts/humanities)....I can't help thinking that not having Maths will put me at a disadvantage.

I need to know your experience abou this. What should I do in terms of subjects? Music, Chem and Bio are definate....but I need to decide between Maths and Computing (and whether to snag F. Maths on the end!).

I've heard from everywhere that F. Maths is pretty pointless in med applications BUT I might apply to oxbridge - so I assume it would help there (in application)? Plus I reckon 3 sciences would help there too?

Argh! Confused....please advise. I have currently submitted Chem, Bio, Computing and Music as my choice but this is easily open to modification.

And BTW, I am predicted all A/A* GCSEs so I am not under any constraints in choosing subs.

Cheers!
Reply 1
I would advice chem. bio, maths and music unless you really like computing.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply :biggrin: :biggrin:

Any reason you suggest that? The only reason I would choose Computing over Maths is because it is easier for me to get an A in Computing than getting an A in Maths. My Maths teacher is confident that I can get an A but he says (to everyone), you really have to work three times as hard.
Reply 3
M@255
Try and do 3 maths/science subjects if you feel you can - it looks better. Those people in my year with 3 maths/science subjects have had greater success in their medicine applications. Also, only doing chem and bio could be detrimental should you want to apply to Oxbridge, who often like 3 science subjects for Medicine

Yeah - I know that cam need three sciences but Ox only want Chem. Tho I suppose it looks better (more intelluctuality etc!!)
Reply 4
I think that the two science, maths and music combo is best because it not only shows off you academic side but also your more artistic side. It shows that you have interests outside the science area. If you think that you can get an A in maths then I would deffinately go with that.
Reply 5
abhineyjain
Yeah - I know that cam need three sciences but Ox only want Chem. Tho I suppose it looks better (more intelluctuality etc!!)

Cambridge do require three sciences, but further maths would probably be a pointless exercise - I got in without it, as did most of my friends. I'd go for Bio, Chem, Maths and Music (I did the same combination but with German instead of Music) too. But I know nothing about computing; my school didn't offer it.

Where did you get that figure of 80% of med school entrants have 3/4 science A-levels? I'd never heard it!
Reply 6
Helenia
Cambridge do require three sciences, but further maths would probably be a pointless exercise - I got in without it, as did most of my friends. I'd go for Bio, Chem, Maths and Music (I did the same combination but with German instead of Music) too. But I know nothing about computing; my school didn't offer it.

Where did you get that figure of 80% of med school entrants have 3/4 science A-levels? I'd never heard it!

Well, it's not an official figure....but 80% of the med students I know who have applied have more than two science/maths subs.

I guess Maths would be better to take (after a chat with teacher) but what do you reckon about my e-mails to the Uni's? They all say that taking Maths shouldn't really put me at an advantage.
if you are good at maths there is no reason why u shouldnt take f.maths.
Reply 8
darkenergy
if you are good at maths there is no reason why u shouldnt take f.maths.

Ooooooooh yes there is :biggrin:

I was good enough at Maths to do Further, but I chose not to because I had 12 Maths lessons a week in L6th, and couldn't stand the thought of this continuing (and therefore having only 6 free periods a week) for the whole of U6th. So I dropped FM, went up to 18 frees a week (2 of the lessons were outside of normal class time) and enjoyed the rest of my subjects, rather than spending hours doing Maths every week and cramming in the others round the sides.

Unless you're really passionate about Maths, it's not essential :wink:
true but my school makes you do Key Skills at AS if you have no F.Maths, similarly General Studies is compulsory if you don't do F.Maths at A2. Therefore rather than spending 6 lessons a week doing Key Skills and General Studies, I decided to do something which could become useful in life later :biggrin:
Reply 10
For me, it will be compulsory to do General Studies (not sure about Key Skills though - is that Critical Thinking and stuff like that?).

To be honest, my Head of Maths Department says there is no real point taking F.Maths at all.

So, to be final, you guys reckon Maths is the better sub to take? (I like Maths probably as much as I like Computing btw!)
Reply 11
unless you want to go to a specific uni; pick the combination you will enjoy most. i did chem, bio and english language, with physics at as. i don't need the physics (cept maybe a little bit in physiology; but its more about concepts rather than numbers). most uni's will be happy with 2 sciences, and an arts subject helps when you write essays and shows that you have other interests, they're always looking for people who will get involved at uni, no matter what course they do..
Reply 12
I suppose I should do what you say, but I am worried that I may be at a disadvantage anywhere on the basis that I only have two sciences when the rest of the applicants have 3+. Especially if I apply to Oxbridge, where they are looking for pure scientists. I know Ox only require chemistry but I have yet to see an applicant gain a place at Ox with only chemistry as their science.
Reply 13
abhineyjain
Especially if I apply to Oxbridge, where they are looking for pure scientists. I know Ox only require chemistry but I have yet to see an applicant gain a place at Ox with only chemistry as their science.

well, that would be because Oxford specify more than Chemistry must be offered out of the "sciences". :wink:

from the official website - this is your friend!

Essential - Chemistry with either Maths or Biology or Physics

I myself only offered Chemistry & Biology at A level. & my interviewers seemed more interested in what i'd gained from History/English Lit - because i should imagine after OMAT (now BMAT) scoring & a specifically science interview based on pushing you beyond your limits they have a better idea of your scientific 'intelluctuality' (i like the word! :p: ) than merely having a Physics/Maths A2 on your UCAS might show?

anyway, for Oxford these 2004 application stats may be of interest:

The breakdown of A-level subjects (A2) which had been studied or were being studied by those applicants doing A-levels was as follows:

Biology 93%
Mathematics 63%
Physics 33%
Arts/Humanities 53%

Note that despite the fact that many people take it, Biology is NOT required at A2 level (or indeed at AS level).

but just because something popular doesn't mean it's essential, as they then point out with Bio!

as people have said before, beyond Bio & Chem, just chose what you enjoy most? :smile:
Reply 14
Cool...

In this case, I go for Computing then. But this means I can't choose Sheffield and I'll be a little disadvantaged at Cam but what the heck! My only blimmin problem now is that I have looked at the Maths A-level syllabus, and I really seem to think it will be really good to study!
Reply 15
I've recently chosen my AS levels and im going into medicine. I'm just gonna take Chem, Bio, History, psychology.

A lot of people who are taking medicine seem to be taking Maths but when i spoke to a medicine lecturer from Keele Uni he said that taking Maths or Physics wont make a blind bit of difference.

So just take the subjects you enjoy. As long as you've got Chem and Bio u'll be fine. And u'll never have to look at another equation again :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Heh heh heh!

But like I said, I might like looking at equations! Maths is amongst one of my favourite subjects but I like Computing just as much. Man! This sucks!

Edit: BTW, I did e-mail every university that offers med. And they all (expect for Shef and some Cam colleges) said that taking Maths shouldn't disadvatage me.

Latest