The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
London medical schools don't recognise others as valid institutions and regard anyone who trained anywhere other than their home school as an incompetent charlatan and fraud. At least in the Union culture and songs.

In reality, there's a good deal of respect between the schools, a fair amount of joint clubs (Joint newspaper, United Hospitals sports teams, ULU etc), people moving between schools through their careers in jobs and intercalations and stuff and people placed at the same district general hospitals. That and a great deal of piss-taking, which is mixed in intent and taste. Probably one of those things to be played as quietly as possible until you know the rules and the people you're speaking to really.
Haha I was thinking this meant relationships like going out.. haha.
I'm not at a London Uni yet but I know that Imperial and UCL are big rivals (Imperial students once stole the stuffed head of a founder of UCL and played football with it, now the head is locked in UCL's vaults lol).

But on a student to student level I don't think it's a big deal because there are many student accomodations shared by students from all the Univerity of London colleges.
Reply 4
I know that LSE and KCL are rivals. There have been some pranks, but I can't remember them, you'd have to ask a current student

EDIT: Oh, Medicene, don't worry, ignore me
Reply 5
Philosoraptor

:ditto:
Reply 6
Philosoraptor

Sorry to disappoint :wink:
Eljamaispa
I'm not at a London Uni yet but I know that Imperial and UCL are big rivals (Imperial students once stole the stuffed head of a founder of UCL and played football with it, now the head is locked in UCL's vaults lol)..

That was Kings students, not Imperial. In retaliation we castrated their lion, Reggie. And Jeremy Bentham didn't play much in the founding of UCL, it's just that we keep his mummified body on display in the cloisters.
Reply 8
That was like years ago tho! Student's I met at UCL don't generally seem to care about any competition involved between med schools in London..
Reply 9
What about with other subjects? Is their much rivalry between the intercollegiate colleges of the UoL?
It's all just harmless banter. There's a lot of affection between the London medics, but also fierce rivalries on the sports pitch. I think it's one of the great things about having 5 medical schools so close to one another.

The only other rivalries that I know about (and these are far less noticeable) are between UCL and SOAS arts students and UCL, LSE and Kings law.
Reply 11
nas7232
That was like years ago tho! Student's I met at UCL don't generally seem to care about any competition involved between med schools in London..
That's cos they're **** these days. :p:
Reply 12
Spencer Wells
It's all just harmless banter. There's a lot of affection between the London medics, but also fierce rivalries on the sports pitch. I think it's one of the great things about having 5 medical schools so close to one another.
The more serious rivalries are the ones between GKT & KCL, BL & QM, but not UCL and, errr, UCL.
Reply 13
Renal
That's cos they're **** these days. :p:

I love your sig! :yes:

I take it you're not a ICL student then? :tongue:
Philosoraptor

same :P
Reply 15
Eljamaispa
But on a student to student level I don't think it's a big deal because there are many student accomodations shared by students from all the Univerity of London colleges.
There are? :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Renal
There are? :rolleyes:

Intercollegiate halls, ma friend :awesome:
Reply 17
ADREAM
Intercollegiate halls, ma friend :awesome:
A small percentage of london students ever go near them (and most I've met hated them).
Reply 18
Renal
A small percentage of london students ever go near them (and most I've met hated them).

And to think I was considering them....

:blush:
ADREAM
And to think I was considering them....

:blush:

I've put down great dover street as my first choice and then intercollegiates for all the rest before the rest of kings' halls. I'd rather be surrounded by lots of different people from different places, will make sure that medicine doesn't completely take over my world! Plus they're in a nice area and seem reasonably nice :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending