The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Isometrix
we hate birmingham :yy:

I agree based on their entry requirements (GCSE thing)
Think the medical is pretty nice in terms of decor though :P
Toiletpaper8
With such a high grade requirement, you'd expect some fantastic medical school...

How so?

I would expect a medical school with more time to actually spend with its students rather than messing around trying to pick students 'objectively'.
AG555
On the GCSE entry requirement list for the unversities, under Birmingham it says 7 A*s or above (i think its 8 this year), anyways it says unless you already have your A-Levels.

My GCSE grades are bad, but i have my A levels already, both As in Chemistry and Biology A2, and AAAB in AS.

So does it matter if i need those 7 or 8 A*s in GCSE because i already have my A levels sorted.

Hi AG555. Despite your excellent A-levels the University of Birmingham won't consider you for Medicine, I'm afraid, because of the GCSEs. Levels of competition are incredibly high as I'm sure you're aware, and the number of GCSE A* grades is the measure we use for deciding who to interview. I also don't recommend GCSE re-takes; we wouldn't consider them unless there were significant extenuating circumstances behind your original lower grades, and it would also not be the best use of your time given that you have already got great A-levels and for many universities that overrides GCSEs.

Good luck for wherever you do apply

Admissions
University of Birmingham
terpineol
How so?

I would expect a medical school with more time to actually spend with its students rather than messing around trying to pick students 'objectively'.

It's just that if they set the bar that high just to get an interview... it implies that, assuming their interview:redface:ffer ratio were around the medical school norm and their interviews equally challenging, most people would firm Birmingham. Of course this doesn't happen and Birmingham's interview:redface:ffer ratio is hugely skewed... which is what they have to do to fill up the places.

I agree with you though - I don't like Birmingham's admissions process.
Toiletpaper8
It's just that if they set the bar that high just to get an interview... it implies that, assuming their interview:redface:ffer ratio were around the medical school norm and their interviews equally challenging, most people would firm Birmingham. Of course this doesn't happen and Birmingham's interview:redface:ffer ratio is hugely skewed... which is what they have to do to fill up the places.

I agree with you though - I don't like Birmingham's admissions process.

I never said I didn't like it :wink:

I honestly don't see the point in spending huge amounts of time and money going through every facet of peoples applications. if say one in three applicants is more than suitable why bother going down to the most suitable one in twenty?
terpineol
I never said I didn't like it :wink:

I honestly don't see the point in spending huge amounts of time and money going through every facet of peoples applications. if say one in three applicants is more than suitable why bother going down to the most suitable one in twenty?

Well, if narrow selection is pointless, why don't they just pick candidates at random? That is why they are called admissions department, and pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't that their job, to go through people's applications?

Having said that, I realise that my view of Birmingham is biased. But I still think their admissions policy is unfair - there is more to person's integrity and intelligence than their GCSE score, important as it is. Its fair to use it in conjunction with other aspects: work experience, A Levels, etc, but Birmingham use it as a sole marker of person's worth in respect to career in medicine.
AutVinceriAutMori
Well, if narrow selection is pointless, why don't they just pick candidates at random? That is why they are called admissions department, and pardon me if I am wrong, but isn't that their job, to go through people's applications?

Having said that, I realise that my view of Birmingham is biased. But I still think their admissions policy is unfair - there is more to person's integrity and intelligence than their GCSE score, important as it is. Its fair to use it in conjunction with other aspects: work experience, A Levels, etc, but Birmingham use it as a sole marker of person's worth in respect to career in medicine.

In glorious isolation from all other factors ?
No, I don't think so !
AutVinceriAutMori

I guess you could view it that way, my impression was that they aim to admit only people they view as likely to complete the course. As such why bother looking at the whole application in such depth if they have found a way to focus on some bits to more efficient effect.

Why does it matter to them if some more deserving people don't get offers?
terpineol
I guess you could view it that way, my impression was that they aim to admit only people they view as likely to complete the course. As such why bother looking at the whole application in such depth if they have found a way to focus on some bits to more efficient effect.

Why does it matter to them if some more deserving people don't get offers?

I agree to you to that extent, they are university and not a charity, and as such they can admit whoever they choose to. That applies to any other university, of course.
Insightful_Mandarin
In glorious isolation from all other factors ?
No, I don't think so !

Well, a doctor I know had an excellent application (apart form his GCSEs of course) and he was rejected from Birmingham.He went on to study in Sheffield, and in the end became a good doctor, which my mum's hand he operated proves.

I myself was told by their admission tutor that my qualifications are "much too low to be considered for medicine" regardles of all other aspects of my application- again, referring to my GCSE's.

I have no idea what other people's experience of that medical school is, my personal judgement is based on my personal experiences.
AutVinceriAutMori
Well, a doctor I know had an excellent application (apart form his GCSEs of course) and he was rejected from Birmingham.He went on to study in Sheffield, and in the end became a good doctor, which my mum's hand he operated proves.

I myself was told by their admission tutor that my qualifications are "much too low to be considered for medicine" regardles of all other aspects of my application- again, referring to my GCSE's.

I have no idea what other people's experience of that medical school is, my personal judgement is based on my personal experiences.

Fair enough.
You're approaching the issue from the other direction to me !
I agree, in that Birmingham do use GCSE's to exclude approximately two thirds of their applicants (many of whom perhaps just don't do the necessary research).
Some of those excluded, no doubt, have real potential and do secure places elsewhere, qualify etc. No doubt.

However, it's also the case that the mere possession of 7 A* at GCSE won't (despite many claims to the contrary) guarantee an interview. A good few people with 7 A* weren't interviewed in this cycle - other factors (PS, refs ?) must have been taken into consideration.
Even at the interview stage - as straightforward as it apparently is for the substantial majority - around 100 or so manage to fail to secure an offer.
Something else, beyond GCSE results, comes into play, to their detriment.
AutVinceriAutMori

You seem to have the perception that anyone who would make a good doctor should get four offers.

80% of the people applying I have no doubt would make good doctors, about half of them will get four rejections, the rest will get one or two offers at most. I'm struggling to see what we are debating here?

Sorry if I have completely missed the plot.
terpineol
You seem to have the perception that anyone who would make a good doctor should get four offers.

80% of the people applying I have no doubt would make good doctors, about half of them will get four rejections, the rest will get one or two offers at most. I'm struggling to see what we are debating here?

Sorry if I have completely missed the plot.

No, I was not debating with you on that subject- I was just giving an example of Birmingham University admissions policy (an example, not overall summary). I was simply trying to say that GCSE's play major part in their admissions (perhaps not as a sole marker, as I said earlier), and most of their rejections also stem from lack of GCSE's.
I do think that its difficult to judge whether a person would be a good doctor or not, fair enough. But my example was to illustrate that GCSE's are not the only thing that make great doctors, contrary to their policy.
Reply 33
They make their entry requirements clear..and at the interview stage they can find out who they believe will make good doctors...not everyone who gets an interview will get an offer..they also do have a very large medical school and can therefore give out many more offers in comparison to some of the other medical schools...yes, one of the main factors in inviting people for interview is gcses...but they do not use the ukcat..and some universities use the ukcat significantly (by having cut offs etc), so you could argue how can you use the ukcat to decide who to invite for interview, when it is a fairly new exam with little evidence...Just like some unis use the ukcat to narrow down candidates, birmingham use gcses
AutVinceriAutMori
No, I was not debating with you on that subject- I was just giving an example of Birmingham University admissions policy (an example, not overall summary). I was simply trying to say that GCSE's play major part in their admissions (perhaps not as a sole marker, as I said earlier), and most of their rejections also stem from lack of GCSE's.
I do think that its difficult to judge whether a person would be a good doctor or not, fair enough. But my example was to illustrate that GCSE's are not the only thing that make great doctors, contrary to their policy.

Undoubtedly, just as communications skills are perhaps not the be all and end all, etc etc.

Are we simply making a statement of fact or attempting to criticise Birmingham? My initial interpretation was that it was a moan (which I don't personally think is entirely deserved) though I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion there.
andybrandy
They make their entry requirements clear..and at the interview stage they can find out who they believe will make good doctors...not everyone who gets an interview will get an offer..they also do have a very large medical school and can therefore give out many more offers in comparison to some of the other medical schools...yes, one of the main factors in inviting people for interview is gcses...but they do not use the ukcat..and some universities use the ukcat significantly (by having cut offs etc), so you could argue how can you use the ukcat to decide who to invite for interview, when it is a fairly new exam with little evidence...Just like some unis use the ukcat to narrow down candidates, birmingham use gcses

the point is, by enforcing a 7A* cut off it allows applicants with strong GCSEs to exploit their requirements. applicants who have no real intention of wanting to study their apply regardless, knowing that they can be guaranteed an interview. this is unfair to applicants who may not necessarily have the required gcses, but would like to apply to birmingham because they like the uni, not because they can use it as a safety choice.

but terpineol is right. they don't care about any of this, which is why i dislike their admissions process. as far as they're concerned, they're taking in a group of applicants who are deemed suitable in completing the course. they treat them them all as a quantity, not as individuals.
terpineol
Undoubtedly, just as communications skills are perhaps not the be all and end all, etc etc.

Are we simply making a statement of fact or attempting to criticise Birmingham? My initial interpretation was that it was a moan (which I don't personally think is entirely deserved) though I may have jumped to the wrong conclusion there.

Moan, definitely, didn't I say I was biased :p: I liked the sound of their teaching- lots of practical work from early stages, great uni, etc, but the final argument was that its close to where I live. It was my biggest mistake to apply there, and after coming accross their admission tutors sneering dismissal more than once I am glad I didnt get their offer - I would rather study chemistry than be taught by that person.

But also, from a general point of view, critisism- I agree with Isometrix, they treat people as numbers, not as individuals
andybrandy

Oh now I see. An exam which you sit when you know you are going into medicine and are usualy older when sitting is totally comparitive to the exams you sit when you're 15 and have no idea what you do when you're older and are less likely to put any actual effort in.

I see what you did there.
Reply 38
RollerBall
Oh now I see. An exam which you sit when you know you are going into medicine and are usualy older when sitting is totally comparitive to the exams you sit when you're 15 and have no idea what you do when you're older and are less likely to put any actual effort in.

I see what you did there.

people who go into medicine generally know that they will do something academic and are students who can achieve good grades (A*s or otherwise) by the time they reach GCSEs (whether they know they want to do medicine or not) and therefore will probably try just as much in their GCSEs as the UKCAT to give themselves the best chance possible whatever they go into...i know i did.
My-My-My
people who go into medicine generally know that they will do something academic and are students who can achieve good grades (A*s or otherwise) by the time they reach GCSEs (whether they know they want to do medicine or not) and therefore will probably try just as much in their GCSEs as the UKCAT to give themselves the best chance possible whatever they go into...i know i did.

You're a minority. Few people put any effort in @ GCSE. Med applicants or otherwise.

Latest

Trending

Trending