The Student Room Group

My Experience

This is just some information for anyone who is or will be taking a GAP year. I will tell you what I have done so far, when I was 16 I did GNVQ BTEC business @ college but left after 4 months because I realised that course just wasn't for me. I went onto GNVQ computing advanced when I was 17 and finished that @ 19 with a merit but I still wasn't sure if I really wanted to go into computing, I just... didn't like computing as much as I did when I first did it.

I decided I wanted to take a break from education so I went aborad to australia/canada/ and USA and stayed at each country for around 6-7 weeks. It found it very life experimental and found it very enjoying making new friends. I came back to the UK and found work, I wanted to work a little as I decided I wanted to take another GAP year out, so I worked for 7 months and during that time I was able to gain a little experience. At 20 I went on another GAP year to turkey/france/spain and dubai. I was able to find some work experience at a law firm in dubai (it was nothing big, just looking @ files and correcting a few things) I must say though, the experience and confidence I gained in myself in unbelievable. I came back to the UK @ 21 and found out that I could not do law @ university because I had done a computing degree (kinda sucks doesn't it?) anyway, I decided to go and do a computing degree and do A-levels part time, I just turned 22 and I am about to take my A-levels in law/enlgish lit/economics and computing and am predicted A/B/B/A. In september I plan to to do my computing degree part time and my law full time and if it does get too stressfull, I will drop computing at the end of the 2nd year (So they will give me a HND cert). Either way, by the time I am 25 I should have 2 degrees and knowing the fact that I had a chance to go and explore the world first rather then get a degree and then go and then rush back o find a job.

I am planning on going to dubai again in july maybe, I made alot of new friends around the world. I suggest anyone who wants to take a GAP year or 2 should really consider it because it's an awesome thing to do and opens your mind to what you want to do in the future. :smile:
Hey there,
I'm planning to go on a gap year after my A levels...I just have some questions about your own gap year.
How much did it cost to go on your first gap year?..
Did you work while you were out there?
I'm struggling to decide where to go because it all seems so expensive!

Thanks for letting us know about your gap year experiences!
Reply 2
batmanforever
Hey there,
I'm planning to go on a gap year after my A levels...I just have some questions about your own gap year.
How much did it cost to go on your first gap year?..
Did you work while you were out there?
I'm struggling to decide where to go because it all seems so expensive!

Thanks for letting us know about your gap year experiences!

Alot of money and I am not trying to put you off but I knew I was going to take at least a year out after college so I saved up for 2 years. Australia cost me about £430 one way and I spent around $5,000 AUS there.

American cost me £300 one way, spend around $6,500 there.

I was able to cross the boarder into canada, and spent around $4,500 there and then paid £210 to get back to the UK.

I never really did any work there, I did some volunteer work in australia for around a week @ a zoo but that's about it. Other then that I just enjoyed myself and met new people.

When I was on my 2nd GAP year, I worked for a law firm in dubai for around 4 weeks (Non-Pay).. it was basically to gain some experience.

Yes it is expensive, perhaps you might want to work for a few months and then take your GAP year. USA or Canada is an awesom place to go and you can easily find some volunteer work waiting for you when you get there, the organisations sometimes even be there for you at the airport. :wink:

Hope you find this usefull.
Cheers...I'll look into it!

Latest