The Student Room Group

Work experience

Hi, I’m a year 12 looking for work experience in engineering(mechanical preferably) or in a related field and my teachers are telling me to email companies and idk which ones to email or what to do to get this work experience. I do maths physics and economics.
What is your reason for looking for work experience?

You don't need WE to apply for an engineering degree. It's not expected in any way.

If it's just that your college are pushing you to get WE then just look for something you think might be interesting - even if it's something completely different and unrelated to engineering.
Original post by roxey123
Hi, I’m a year 12 looking for work experience in engineering(mechanical preferably) or in a related field and my teachers are telling me to email companies and idk which ones to email or what to do to get this work experience. I do maths physics and economics.
I did work experience in engineering and found that its generally best to look at smaller local companies but I also emailed some unis and colleges to see if I could get any from there I also emailed some bigger companies like Rolls Royce etc. Also finding work experience usually takes a while so the earlier you start asking around the better
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
What is your reason for looking for work experience?
You don't need WE to apply for an engineering degree. It's not expected in any way.
If it's just that your college are pushing you to get WE then just look for something you think might be interesting - even if it's something completely different and unrelated to engineering.

It is my college but I also want to see if it’s the thing for me. My other option is propriety trading when I’m older(I’ve done research and either way will do an engineering degree as I can get into trading with an engineering degree)
Original post by roxey123

Hi @roxey123 ,

Its great that you are looking for work experience for engineering! It can be difficult for year 12s to get work experience but not impossible. I would recommend researching local engineering companies to you and call/email them to ask or even better (in my experience) is to connect on LinkedIn or go to local networking events. I also recommend being open to any relevant engineering/STEM work experience, I know too many people that have been too focused on getting the exact "right" experience and get nothing because they passed on opportunities that were just outside what they considered. Even if you can't get any formal work experience, you could always try asking to shadow an engineer for a day/week or ask to interview/talk to an engineer to get a better understanding of life as a professional engineer.
Good luck with your search and if you have any questions let me know!
Izzy (Lancaster University Engineering Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest