The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

pigwigeon

Then there was the man who said to me "Smile! It's not like anyone's died!" 8 am the morning of my friend's funeral. I think that may have been bad timing, though.

Please, please tell me that you told him about the funeral... and what the expression on his face was like and what he said?
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Please, please tell me that you told him about the funeral... and what the expression on his face was like and what he said?

I said "The funeral's at 2". He chuckled and said "Well at least it's a nice day for it!". I don't think I really understood what he'd said until he'd left the shop and spent about 10 minutes in a state of WTFness. I love people :dry:
Taking everything out of the basket when I am not only clearly already doing it myself, but as if I am totally stupid and the fact I am wearing glasses means I am totally blind and cannot see everything that's in there for myself when I get through the contents of the basket.

Generally treating me as if I am thick, like earlier.
This woman was being generally picky and demanding, and then I came to these 2 pairs of shoes for her kids. "Can I have each of them in a separate bag, please?" Not a problem...So I scanned the first pair, put it into a bag and gave it to the first of her 2 kids. "And the same for the other pair" as if she hadn't already told me or as if I have the memory of a f***ing goldfish.

When customers come to my till asking to refund/exchange, I say "I'm sorry but you'll need to go to customer services on the third floor"...Nearly every time, they then ask, "And where's that then?" *facepalm*

I had a woman today come to the till, taking ages to decide over a £1 pair of socks and asking me whether or not I thought they'd fit over her large legs.
pigwigeon
I said "The funeral's at 2". He chuckled and said "Well at least it's a nice day for it!". I don't think I really understood what he'd said until he'd left the shop and spent about 10 minutes in a state of WTFness. I love people :dry:

I really, really hate it when people say things like 'cheer up, it may never happen!'. Half the time I just want to say something like 'my .... died last night' really, really sadly, just to see them squirm; the other half of the time I want to give them a slap.
One pet peeve... I work in a supermarket, and have to ask the question, "do you need any bags?". And oh my god I hate saying this to people who obviously need a bag, but it's part of my job, and they just look at me like I'm stupid, and say "well I'm not gonna carry it in my hands am I?".

And also.. laughing at the same jokes over and over again. "I only came in for one thing".. "Let's hope I can fit in all of these bags".

Oh my god I can't wait to hand my notice in.
Laurah5498
In the 6 weeks I've worked there, I've had to clean poo out of the same urinal twice ¬¬

Assuming this is the womens urinals :p:
Reply 386
I work in a cafe/coffee shop and there are many infurriating customers.

One example from today... a woman comes in with her 2 year old, orders two coffees and cakes then procedes to ask the 2 year old what she wants! Meanwhile a queue of people gather behind her whilst the 2 year old is asked repeatedly... do you want a cake? which cake would you like? Oh you don't want a cake... I then have to stand there and smile till the kid makes up its mind. The child is 2, you are it's mum, therefore you can tell it what it is eating.. don't give it the choice especially not when theres a huge queue. Sadly this incident is not uncommon especially on Saturdays when there's a huge queue!!

Another annoying thing.. customers who don't know when to leave! Yes we are here till 5 but that is to get everything done including all the washing up/mopping/sweeping etc and therefore if you stay till 4.45, it means I have to stay until 5.15 for which I don't get paid. You know what time we close (you asked) please leave! or else pay us all a huge tip for making us stay later. I'd like to point out we did say something to two ladies who did this but they didn't get the hint even when we took their empty cups etc and upon leaving said oh let's go to the pub... why couldn't you have done that at 4.30 so I could do my job! Similar story with a woman who always comes 15mins before we close and then takes an hour to eat a fricking sandwich...

Also people who moan they've got the wrong thing when I've read back their order 3 times and then moan to my supervisor who tells me off for not reading back the order when I did! Same for customers who tell you a vague order... i.e I want a coffee and then get pissy with me when I ask whether it's white or black or what size etc, I'm sorry it feels like 20 qs but if you told me you wanted a regular white coffee in the beginning I can get it for you instead of asking a million questions just to work out what you want!
Reply 387
Looking back over these stories reminded me of why I quit retail.

At least once a month I'd have somebody namedrop the Manager/Owner of the company I worked for as if they were best friends with them. This tactic won't make the item you want which is not in stock magically appear.

The customers who thought they were experts at trading standards law just because they watched a feature on the One Show were the worst. Not even the manager of the shop with her countless years of retail experience could convince some customers that we didn’t have to sell X at Y price because it was clearly an error which we were fixing.

Other customers when told by me that we didn't have something in stock would proceed to ask the next member of staff they see the same question. Almost as if to say "He is the younger one so doesn't know what he is talking about". Needless to say the older looking member of staff (who had worked at the shop for less time than me anyway) would give the exact same answer.

Occasionally (during quiet spells) we would block access to an aisle with signage and dump bins for remerchandising. This was for safety reasons as there would be stock and shelves all over the place. Not a few minutes would go buy without a customer thinking that the closing of the aisle didn’t apply to them and they should move things out of the way to look at the practically empty shelves - getting in the way of several members of staff busy remerchandising whilst they do it.

And it's not my fault that it is no longer the nineties and we don't accept cheques as a form of payment. Or the old £20 notes.

Rant over.
I had a woman scream at me today because her card got declined.

Because obviously it's been me spending all your money.
jeans whore
Assuming this is the womens urinals :p:

Nope, mens. I had to clean the mens toilets when there wasn't a male staff member working with me :frown:
I work in Primark and someone took a dump in the womens' fitting rooms yesterday. According to security, it happens not that rarely and some people wipe their butt on the cubicle curtains. Ewwwww.

As an aside, it really bugs me when I'm taking an item out of the customer's basket to put it through and I'm counting it (when they're buying multiples of the same thing) and they look at me patronisingly and tell me, "There's 5 of them"....like I can't count and as if I don't have to check anyway...
FlickeringEmber
I work in Primark and someone took a dump in the womens' fitting rooms yesterday. According to security, it happens not that rarely and some people wipe their butt on the cubicle curtains. Ewwwww.

Oh my god that is disgusting!:woo: :eek3: Can they not wait? :eek:
oceanic815
Oh my god that is disgusting!:woo: :eek3: Can they not wait? :eek:

I don't know; I was shopping in John Lewis of all places for this to happen; someone crapped all over the toilet floor; clearly missed the toilet and I guess just couldn't hold it in. Think that's TMI though.

Another gross thing is when people change their pants in the Primark fitting room and leave their old crusty minging ones in there. Given that they're not allowd to try pants on, they probably also stole them.:rolleyes:
Reply 393
heh
FlickeringEmber
I don't know; I was shopping in John Lewis of all places for this to happen; someone crapped all over the toilet floor; clearly missed the toilet and I guess just couldn't hold it in. Think that's TMI though.

Another gross thing is when people change their pants in the Primark fitting room and leave their old crusty minging ones in there. Given that they're not allowd to try pants on, they probably also stole them.

That's really not that rare, when I worked in Morrisons, someone had started pooing on the shop floor, walked to the toilets (leaving a trail) and literally sprayed the walls :colonhash:

(I've also seen it in McDonalds, an employee came out the bathroom, looked at me and said "you REALLY don't want to go in there." - the coverage from floor to wall was very impressive actually for such a little old woman..!)
If we are waiting for some of the food for a customers order then we tell them to take a seat with their drinks and we will bring their food over when its ready. Anyway, i find it annoying when i finish serving a customer and before i go onto serve anyone else i get a previous order together as the food is ready. The next person in the queue will procede to come to the counter and start saying what they want. Even though they can quite clearly see that im not in a position to take their order as im getting someone elses order together. I have to explain that im getting together another order and ill be with them in a second. Then then stand there staring at my every move. I give up with some customers sometimes.
God, am I gonna miss working at M&S when I start uni.
Emma:-)
If we are waiting for some of the food for a customers order then we tell them to take a seat with their drinks and we will bring their food over when its ready. Anyway, i find it annoying when i finish serving a customer and before i go onto serve anyone else i get a previous order together as the food is ready. The next person in the queue will procede to come to the counter and start saying what they want. Even though they can quite clearly see that im not in a position to take their order as im getting someone elses order together. I have to explain that im getting together another order and ill be with them in a second. Then then stand there staring at my every move. I give up with some customers sometimes.

Yes!! I work in Primark and there's a button under the till to call customers forward. Even when I haven't pressed it, because I am stil busy sorting the float out, eg opening a fresh bag of £1s, they come to the till and plonk their stuff there and just stare at me.

Or like earlier, I wasn't even working on the tills. I was behid the counter, though, putting hangers on some dumped items of clothing, and this woman just dumped her stuff on the till directly behind me and got angry when I said I wasn't on tills.
FlickeringEmber
Yes!! I work in Primark and there's a button under the till to call customers forward. Even when I haven't pressed it, because I am stil busy sorting the float out, eg opening a fresh bag of £1s, they come to the till and plonk their stuff there and just stare at me.

Or like earlier, I wasn't even working on the tills. I was behid the counter, though, putting hangers on some dumped items of clothing, and this woman just dumped her stuff on the till directly behind me and got angry when I said I wasn't on tills.

I also sometimes have the opposite problem. Sometimes, you will shout for the next customer to come to the till (often several times), and the person at the front of the queue will be standing there in a world of their own, not realising that its their turn to be served and the person behind them will have to give them a nudge (also often several times) and tell them that its their turn. Then they are like "oh".

There was a couple today who really annoyed me. I went onto the tills to serve (as drive thru went dead) and i was serving this couple who were perfectly fine. But as i was serving them i heard someone talking in the background but as i was dealing with the couple i was serving (and couldnt have 2 conversations at once) i ignored it.
Then after i had sat the couple i was serving down with their drinks (we were waiting for some of their food) i turned round to see who had been speaking. It was this other couple who had already been served who were trying to but in. They had 2 toffee sundaes and the woman was like "can you fill these up a bit, they are only half full". I looked at the toffee sundaes and they were deffinately not half full. They were full but the couple had had the sundaes that long that the top had started to melt slightly. But there was nothing wrong with them. They were full. You couldnt have put much more ice cream and sauce in if you had tried. I couldnt say anything as there were quite a few staff members close by so i didnt really say anything but i really wanted to say "NO I CAN NOT FILL THEM UP A BIT- THEY ARE NOT HALF FULL- THEY ARE FULL- THATS THE AMOUNT THATS MEANT TO BE IN THE TOFFEE SUNDAES- IF YOU WANT MORE ICE CREAM AND SAUCE THEN WE HAVE TO CHARGE EXTRA etc!!"
I did put a bit more ice cream and toffee sauce in but made a bit of a deal of ramming it full and when i took the lids off the sundaes i slammed the lids down.

Latest

Trending

Trending