The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5080
Creepy customers!!!

customer : are you thinking naughty thoughts?
me : noooo..
customer : you have a very salacious smile on your face
me : nope,this is just my customer service face
This isn't a true annoying customers slant, but does anyone have to deal with their parents at work from time to time? I haven't seen anything referring to that sort of thing throughout some of this thread.

Of course, there's a reason I ask. About a week ago my mum and dad come in and my mum ends up peering into the heated cabinet that we keep chickens and other cooked bits and pieces in. Just after I finish up with another customer over the pizza counter she turns to me and says 'what are mini pork sausages when they're at home?' Of course, when you know the person in question well, sack the whole full customer service thing - I walk around the counter to face her and say 'like normal sausages, only smaller' with a strong sarcastic spin and some mild hand waving. Of course, this is fine and well between us, but that customer who I had served prior was now doing her best to subtly look over at me to work out why this 20 year old (who looks 15 years old) is being so short with the middle-aged woman on the topic of cooked meat.

I was set to leave it at that (my sense of humour tends to encourage me to leave that sort of thing unresolved for a laugh) but my mum ended up breaking character in the scenario and explaining that we are some sort of family double act.
Original post by Entangled
This isn't a true annoying customers slant, but does anyone have to deal with their parents at work from time to time? I haven't seen anything referring to that sort of thing throughout some of this thread.

Of course, there's a reason I ask. About a week ago my mum and dad come in and my mum ends up peering into the heated cabinet that we keep chickens and other cooked bits and pieces in. Just after I finish up with another customer over the pizza counter she turns to me and says 'what are mini pork sausages when they're at home?' Of course, when you know the person in question well, sack the whole full customer service thing - I walk around the counter to face her and say 'like normal sausages, only smaller' with a strong sarcastic spin and some mild hand waving. Of course, this is fine and well between us, but that customer who I had served prior was now doing her best to subtly look over at me to work out why this 20 year old (who looks 15 years old) is being so short with the middle-aged woman on the topic of cooked meat.

I was set to leave it at that (my sense of humour tends to encourage me to leave that sort of thing unresolved for a laugh) but my mum ended up breaking character in the scenario and explaining that we are some sort of family double act.

I've had something similar. My brother works in the local supermarket and one day when they were close to closing I popped in to buy something. Because it was late and they were almost closing, my brother was the only one on the tills but a manager was milling about. Company policy says family members aren't allowed to serve each other (makes sense) so when I go round, my brother says across the tills to me "I can't serve you."

Unfortunately, there was an old lady currently being served by my brother and she turns and gives me the dirtiest look and also appears quite shocked, "Have you been stealing from here before or something?" By this point I think she was quite scared of me, since I had suddenly become this evil criminal, ready to pounce and steal her purse. "Don't worry, he's my brother".

"Oh", said the lady as she turned beet-red and hurried out the store.

Bless her.
After today's shift I'm convinced that customers purposely move stock around just to annoy me :unimpressed:
Reply 5084
I used to work in a clothing store. We sold bras for the younger female generation (when puberty starts basically).. they were non wired and non padded.

One day this woman came in and started shouting at me that we were disgusting to sell bras for young teenagers. She went off on a huge rant about how children are being forced to grow up too quickly and that a young teenager wouldn't even have developed in the chest area. She then said she was going to start a protest outside our shop (I wanted to laugh at this point).

I wanted to point out to her that nowadays puberty starts at an earlier age and many girls are developed by the age of 13/14. I know I was and I remember wearing a bra at that age.

However I took her insults and ranting and let her go on her way. She did walk past the shop a few times later in the day and gave me evil stares though, urgh!
Original post by lau_88
I used to work in a clothing store. We sold bras for the younger female generation (when puberty starts basically).. they were non wired and non padded.

One day this woman came in and started shouting at me that we were disgusting to sell bras for young teenagers. She went off on a huge rant about how children are being forced to grow up too quickly and that a young teenager wouldn't even have developed in the chest area. She then said she was going to start a protest outside our shop (I wanted to laugh at this point).

I wanted to point out to her that nowadays puberty starts at an earlier age and many girls are developed by the age of 13/14. I know I was and I remember wearing a bra at that age.

However I took her insults and ranting and let her go on her way. She did walk past the shop a few times later in the day and gave me evil stares though, urgh!

I was wearing a bra at the age of 10! Was wearing a D cup by the age of 13 too, so can't imagine lasting until then to get a bra :s The older generations often tell me that they didn't have bras when they were younger, so this could be why!

If it's up to me, as long as there's no slogans on there (I think my first few had diamante hearts on...) then I see no problem, since they're part of life! You should have come back with some sarcastic remark such as having sanitary products age restricted!
Original post by VickyTink
I was wearing a bra at the age of 10! Was wearing a D cup by the age of 13 too, so can't imagine lasting until then to get a bra :s The older generations often tell me that they didn't have bras when they were younger, so this could be why!

If it's up to me, as long as there's no slogans on there (I think my first few had diamante hearts on...) then I see no problem, since they're part of life! You should have come back with some sarcastic remark such as having sanitary products age restricted!

wow! i didnt need to wear a bra til I was 16!
Original post by jelly1000
wow! i didnt need to wear a bra til I was 16!

I don't know many girls in my year at high school who weren't wearing them at the age of 12! Even if they were only an A cup!
Original post by hanaxo
Creepy customers!!!

customer : are you thinking naughty thoughts?
me : noooo..
customer : you have a very salacious smile on your face
me : nope,this is just my customer service face

Creepy how he can speak to you like a child yet still use a big word!! I think that may well creep me out more than anything else, though I would be sorely tempted to chuck something sarky back - eg "Yes, why, don't you ever get naughty thoughties?!?!" :redface:
Reply 5089
I've had a Gok-Wan wannabe when I worked at Primark.
He was with a young baby and a woman, and I personally don't think he was the father, but I'm not judging that. :rolleyes:
Anyway, he had really expensive designer red glasses on, and looked like he does all his shopping in uptown Selfridges. He was doing loads of baby shopping in Primark. It was Christmas time, so we needed to ask everyone if they wanted to buy a Primark card. When I asked him he said, 'No I don't, because no one likes shopping here, the clothes are awful and it's cheap crap, and the employers are a bunch of dimwits'... but he literally bought half the baby clothes in the shop.

^ The most annoying customer you can. Don't try arguing, because they will make sure they have your shop and the ones surrounding it closed down.
Original post by VickyTink
I don't know many girls in my year at high school who weren't wearing them at the age of 12! Even if they were only an A cup!

Tbf I think I was one of the last of my peers to wear one. I did go and get measured when I was about 14 I think but they told me I was too small. Wore a crop top though from the age of 11.
Reply 5091
not really a customer but we had a tramp come into the shop where i work recently and she started removing all the clothes from the mannequins in the window complaining about how they were dressed and the quality of the stitching on the clothes. She eventually left but kept returning periodically to undress them again :curious:
Customer asks for a dessert, I tell him we don't do that particular item. He then replies in a really rude tone "Oh you know that without looking?" yes, yes I do know this without looking BECAUSE I WORK HERE.
I had a few of the "oh can you check?" people in today :rolleyes:

No matter how much you know about your job, and no matter how thorough your answer is to the question someone will always want you to check :rolleyes: You check and they say the exact same thing!

But on the bright side, had a chance to do my own odds compiling :biggrin: "what price is Price to win in round 3,4 or 5?" uhh no we don't do that BUT i'll personally give you 5/2 (3x 10/1 bets split equally!). Mathematician to the rescue!! :cool:

Had mr tramp in 5 minutes before close who started getting arsey when I told him we were closing in 5 minutes. Trouble was, he hadn't put a bet on! He was just sitting there watching the football match! Thankfully Chelsea equalised and he was happy enough to leave.

Oh and mr 19 year old student who got arsey with me because I id'd him :rolleyes: He shouldn't have been 19 then shouldn't he? :rolleyes:
Reply 5094
I wish people would just accept "No" as an answer, if there's no receipt there's no refund.

Standing there looking at me going "Oh I don't know what to do..." for ages isn't going to change anything, and neither is saying it was on a sale when you bought it. For all I know you could have picked it up off the rail when I wasn't looking, a receipt is proof of purchase for a reason.

Otherwise it's been a very good week...
Reply 5095
Original post by simonbellringer
Creepy how he can speak to you like a child yet still use a big word!! I think that may well creep me out more than anything else, though I would be sorely tempted to chuck something sarky back - eg "Yes, why, don't you ever get naughty thoughties?!?!" :redface:

I didn't want to reply with anything that might encourage him to respond!
Reply 5096
Homeless guy decided to make himself at home in our carryout. I arrived for work at 5, at which point he was sat there, empty pizza box in front of him, tonnes of napkins on the floor, stinking the place out (mixture or urine, faecies and who knows what else!)
After a while of discussing it, getting on with work hoping he would leave, watching him falling asleep, we check what time he actually ordered. 4.15. It was now 5.30, so he had been given his food approximately 1 hour ago. I get one of the drivers to go around and ask him to leave, his response "No, I have food, I don't want to go yet...... shut the door its cold in here" !!!! (This time of night we have to keep the dor open as we have 3 ovens going!)
My manager then arrives at 6, we get him to speak to him, resulting in the guy ordering another pizza. 30 mins after giving him that one, nearly 7, we finally got rid of him! Then fully cleaned, disinfected etc. the area to get rid of the smell and mess!
Had a bit of a bad weekend this week. First of all yesterday a man asked me to change him some change so I was like okay then and gave him a tenner then he was like can I swap these two tenners for a twenty so I said sure (I checked them first to make sure they were real). Next thing I know hes stood there can I have the twenty then when I'd already given it to him... Nice try matey my co worker saw me give it you and it was the only one in the till! Then saw him try it in another shop :angry:

And today someone asked for a nail brush so I showed them and their response was that's a scrubbing brush and she started having a go at me because nail Brushes should be smaller than that. Well sorry I wasn't the one who nipped to Taiwan and told them to make it that size just to annoy you.

But then had a total gem today as well saying your going to go far in life, people like this actually make me enjoy going to work <3
(edited 11 years ago)
I work part time in a pub. Last week, a woman asked me to peel the skin from her jacket potato for her, just after I brought out the plate. I told her I would take it back to the kitchen, she said 'No, no, you can do it here, but don't use your fingers, that's disgusting, and keep the skin intact.' I had to use her fork and knife to peel the skin from her jacket potato while she stared on.

She left no tip.
Original post by Hood_Man
I wish people would just accept "No" as an answer, if there's no receipt there's no refund.

Standing there looking at me going "Oh I don't know what to do..." for ages isn't going to change anything, and neither is saying it was on a sale when you bought it. For all I know you could have picked it up off the rail when I wasn't looking, a receipt is proof of purchase for a reason.

Otherwise it's been a very good week...

If it's any help at all, what we normally do in that instance is suggest they get a bank statement showing the withdrawal when they purchased the item. We can then check on our system for the correct transaction.

Of course that depends on the premise that they paid by card, can remember what day they bought it, and also that you work for a company which keeps an accessible record of transactions.

Sometimes works though! :yeah:

Latest

Trending

Trending