The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drbluebox
About the chips thing, that ISNT a stupid question as you can get chips in the cartons, you can get them in cones, or you can get them in a little tray then have paper wrapped around them or those little cup things that places like mcdonalds do.

I personally never know when I go to a burger bar place if I will get the cup things or a small box like you get chicken in at kfc.

They could of asked if they came in a box as they wanted to walk around with them and maybe share them

The fact that the menu says "box of french fries" should have told them really :rolleyes:
Original post by pamelaa
*stalk*

i don't think its that big a deal taking them to the tills or other deparments... i was in jjb sauchiehall street (dump) with my friend who wanted new footie boots and we waited like 15 mins at the shoe section until we saw a member of staff lol

It is if the place is heaving and its obvious you'll be served when there's time. If we're skiving or whatnot then fine, go and get someone else.
Original post by llacerta
Haha, I know how perilous it is to point that out- the amount of times people have brought their children in and I've been unable to identify the gender of the child...I end up having to encourage them to point out a few shoes that they like and that gives me an idea, but then there are always the times, as you said, when parents will give a girl boy's shoes or vice versa.

I feel really sorry for the kids who are forced by their parents to have certain shoes. Sure, if they ones they wanted were more expensive or not as good a fit or that sort of thing, I could understand it. But the amount of times I've said, "yep, these are a good fit!" to a pair of reasonable shoes that the child likes and the parent has been like, "um, NO. I'd prefer if we bought THOSE ones for little Jimmy- those ones there, the ones that look like they should be for a ninety year old woman. They're better."

And if they don't fit as well, the parent won't hear it!

And oh my goodness, when we get parents with multiple children coming in, and they expect to have one trained fitter per child. Um, no? We don't have an unlimited number of staff members! One per family is enough!

Sorry about the rant. The majority of the time we have lovely customers, surprisingly so. It's just you get the odd few who really don't appreciate the effort we put into making their shoe shopping experience a good one...

I love this rant. I also realise how fortunate I am that a)we don't measure feet and b)I have never served a child whose gender is in doubt.
Original post by madders94
The fact that the menu says "box of french fries" should have told them really :rolleyes:

You didnt say that originally though lol, that and I have seen the words box of french fries before and go one of those Mcdonald like cartons before so its always safe to check.

Does reming me of something I read yesterday though in the Metro where someone who worked at a train station said he was fed up of being asked questions like which end is the front of the train(which does confuse me) since do they consider the front as the end train in the direction the train is going or the end which at the final/first station ias against the barrier thing.

I assme its the end train in the direction train is going but as trains can change direction onto different lines part through the journey I like to be sure.
You didnt say that originally though lol, that and I have seen the words box of french fries before and go one of those Mcdonald like cartons before so its always safe to check.

Does reming me of something I read yesterday though in the Metro where someone who worked at a train station said he was fed up of being asked questions like which end is the front of the train(which does confuse me) since do they consider the front as the end train in the direction the train is going or the end which at the final/first station ias against the barrier thing.

I assme its the end train in the direction train is going but as trains can change direction onto different lines part through the journey I like to be sure.

I guess usually it would be ok with the whole fries thing, but when it's the same girls who came up last year and asked, in all seriousness, "How long is a foot long hot dog" (and I mean in length, not how long it takes to cook), amongst various other stupid questions, it gets a little bit annoying.
Reply 1785
Original post by moregano
As well as just being a pain, we have a system which means when we get cashed up at the end of our shift, the manager will look through what we call "T-Reds" (till reductions), and if they're over 4% (as in 4% down from what you would have taken had you not had to void items on the till), you get a retraining slip, enough retraining slips and you get a warning. It's an inconvenience to have to void stuff yeah, but getting a formal warning for doing it repeatedly is far worse :tongue:

Seriously? :eek: God knows how I'm allowed on front then :tongue:

Surely you can't get told off if it's the customer's own fault? Much of my voiding and refunds are due to the customer's own inability to order. The amount of times that someone will order something then change their mind lately is very irritating.
Original post by Emma:-)
Is there anyone on the student room who works in a shop, supermarket, restaurant etc and had really annoying customers.

I work in mcdonalds and we have had our fair share. One threatened to throw a brick with a bacon and egg mcmuffin selotaped to it through the window because he had apparently had a burnt one in the past and apparently the one he had on this occasion was burnt too (it wasnt at all) He never did throw it through the window.

I had one guy when i was working at M&S who told me he'd rather get served by the person next to me as I looked like i caused the ugly tree to cry, and various other things. That annoyed me.
Original post by Stacks

Surely you can't get told off if it's the customer's own fault? Much of my voiding and refunds are due to the customer's own inability to order. The amount of times that someone will order something then change their mind lately is very irritating.

Yeah it's a silly system for that reason, but you learn to get around it by waiting as long as possible to press buttons, adding amounts in 20/30ps instead of voiding a medium meal for a large one etc.
I work in a 5* hotel where the prices for a room go up to £1200 per night......I often have to serve snobs who look at me like I'm a piece of crap while I pour them champagne and serve them caviar......Sometimes you also get those filthy men who try to 'charm' you or invite you back to their hotel room.

On the upside,the nice people give me good tips and I have met some cool celebrities :smile:
Original post by JaiiStarh
I work in a 5* hotel where the prices for a room go up to £1200 per night......I often have to serve snobs who look at me like I'm a piece of crap while I pour them champagne and serve them caviar......Sometimes you also get those filthy men who try to 'charm' you or invite you back to their hotel room.

On the upside,the nice people give me good tips and I have met some cool celebrities :smile:

I could never go for excessive indulgance like that even if I was a celeb and it was paid for.

For me I would go to a nice local hotel ad no notice(so the prices would be like £60-£90 for 1 person) or book a country house one in advance and would rather have a glass of coke and a pizza or curry than caviar and champagne!.
I could never go for excessive indulgance like that even if I was a celeb and it was paid for.

For me I would go to a nice local hotel ad no notice(so the prices would be like £60-£90 for 1 person) or book a country house one in advance and would rather have a glass of coke and a pizza or curry than caviar and champagne!.

Lol really? I think I would. If I had earned the money,and I thought I deserved a little (or big) treat,and I wasn't sacrificing anything,I'd definitely stay in a 5* hotel for a weekend. You get treated like your practically royalty,fine wine,fine food,great service, doesn't sound too bad to me :colondollar:

However,a quiet weekend in a country house with a pizza and coke also sounds pretty good to me.....I'm easily pleased :biggrin: That option also sounds more realistic if I was to consider the peanuts I get paid :frown: lool.
Original post by JaiiStarh
Lol really? I think I would. If I had earned the money,and I thought I deserved a little (or big) treat,and I wasn't sacrificing anything,I'd definitely stay in a 5* hotel for a weekend. You get treated like your practically royalty,fine wine,fine food,great service, doesn't sound too bad to me :colondollar:

However,a quiet weekend in a country house with a pizza and coke also sounds pretty good to me.....I'm easily pleased :biggrin: That option also sounds more realistic if I was to consider the peanuts I get paid :frown: lool.

Thats why I dislike it, I want my own independance and for me a nice meal is mince and tatties or a roast dinner so to have caviar seems too indulgant.

Plus even if I was rich I would rather spend that money on crazy things like getting taxis everywhere and perhaps buying some drinks for friends or to buy a games console.
Reply 1792
Original post by Stacks

Yes I have got in trouble for my t-reds before because it is one way that people can steal. Someone was recently fired from my store, they were taking orders and accepting the money and then voiding off everything from the till and putting it in their pocket. An employee from another store spotted this and reported them and we haven't seen them since.

Head office also get a bit suspicious sometimes aswell.

Couple of tips to avoid t-reds:

- Wait until a customer has said everything before putting through the big mac on its own.

-Tell customers what is in a meal.

-Scan their person for vouchers.

-Upgrade to large through the employee meal section

-Add any extra charges on as dips (i.e. I want a black coffee, no make that a latte. You would have already pressed black coffee but then add a sweet chilli dip to make it up to 1.39 or however much it is.)

-Pre-reds (not sure if that is the proper name) if you have 2 big mac meals on the screen both with cokes and you have not yet pressed take out and they cancel one of the meals, put through an extra drink and then press take out, it will give you the "too many drinks" message. Now press 1 and then big mac meal and it will change automatically without the need for a managers card and it will not show up in the t-reds. (This only works for meals and their drinks)

My apologies if you knew those or find them patronising but I am procrastinating :smile:
Thats why I dislike it, I want my own independance and for me a nice meal is mince and tatties or a roast dinner so to have caviar seems too indulgant.

Plus even if I was rich I would rather spend that money on crazy things like getting taxis everywhere and perhaps buying some drinks for friends or to buy a games console.

Hahahaha love the idea of getting taxis everywhere :biggrin:
But fair enough,I understand where you're coming from. Whatever floats your boat ey!
Original post by fwed1
Yes I have got in trouble for my t-reds before because it is one way that people can steal. Someone was recently fired from my store, they were taking orders and accepting the money and then voiding off everything from the till and putting it in their pocket. An employee from another store spotted this and reported them and we haven't seen them since.

- Wait until a customer has said everything before putting through the big mac on its own.

-Add any extra charges on as dips (i.e. I want a black coffee, no make that a latte. You would have already pressed black coffee but then add a sweet chilli dip to make it up to 1.39 or however much it is.)

-Pre-reds (not sure if that is the proper name) if you have 2 big mac meals on the screen both with cokes and you have not yet pressed take out and they cancel one of the meals, put through an extra drink and then press take out, it will give you the "too many drinks" message. Now press 1 and then big mac meal and it will change automatically without the need for a managers card and it will not show up in the t-reds. (This only works for meals and their drinks)

My apologies if you knew those or find them patronising but I am procrastinating :smile:

I work for a supermarket, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but if you changed the black coffee to a latte by adding a sweet chilli dip, would your stock levels not be wrong? Like even when we have a bag of peppers, which are the same price, we should press the button for each individual colour.
Reply 1795
Original post by fwed1

That's why the uniforms don't have pockets obviously :tongue:

But thanks for the tips though I'm somewhat sceptical as to whether my store bothers with t-reds. Quite a few different people can be serving on the same till throughout the day, so it's probably too much effort for our managers to work out the t-reds per person...otherwise I feel it would have been mentioned to me before.

Shall keep an eye out on my use of the swipe cards though :tongue: Main offenders are still the sort of people who order a meal..you total it for them and they suddenly decide they just want a cheeseburger :confused:
I was once restocking the crisp aisle when an old woman comes into the aisle and asks "Is this where i get the ice cream?"

Yeh it's just beside the Monster Munch.
Reply 1797
Original post by fwed1

Also if you press take out/eat in after you've put the first item in, as long as the total amount of the order doesnt go under the amount of that first item you wont get t-reds

I've worked at mcdonalds for nearly two years now, and some of the customers can be really lovely, but the majority of them are so stupid and just plain rude. I took this mans order who was with his wife and daughter and as he ordered loads of grills I asked him if he was eating in or taking away and he just shouted "IN" at me. So I got him to sit down and told him I'd bring his food over when it was ready and he said to me "you better get my order right or I'll be speaking to your manager" :eek:! I was being so polite to him and he was just SO RUDE! And one time this man said to me that he was eating in before he did his order, and as it was a massive order, by the time I got to the bit where you total the order/press the button that says whether they're taking out or eating in I'd completely forgotten that he said he was eating in so I asked him and he completely snapped at me, "I ALREADY TOLD YOU!" :frown:

The most common annoying thing that customers do is when they come up to my till and ask for a chicken sandwich on its own. i say "ok thats 2.39 please" and they look at me in absolute disgust and say "what? its 99p". Well you should've said mayo chicken then... :facepalm:

or when they just ask for a 'chicken meal'... so i ask do you mean chicken sandwich/chicken nuggets/chicken legend? and they reply 'i dont know' :angry:

Oh and the amount of customers that think you can read minds... "I asked for no ice in my drink!", "I asked for it plain!". Err no you didnt, if you did I wouldn't have just ignored you... This man the other day asked for a double cheeseburger and he said "I'll have the meat, the sauce, the cheese and the onions", ok so I put through a double cheeseburger without the pickles.. take it to his table and he goes "oh I didn't want the bun..." so I apologised and went to get him another one without the bun and as I was walking away I heard him go "thats the second time thats happened today" WELL IF YOU DIDNT SAY YOU DIDNT WANT THE BUN THEN HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW :facepalm:

Haha there are so many annoying customers at mcdonalds I could go on all day!
Reply 1798
Original post by Stacks
That's why the uniforms don't have pockets obviously :tongue:

But thanks for the tips though I'm somewhat sceptical as to whether my store bothers with t-reds. Quite a few different people can be serving on the same till throughout the day, so it's probably too much effort for our managers to work out the t-reds per person...otherwise I feel it would have been mentioned to me before.

Shall keep an eye out on my use of the swipe cards though :tongue: Main offenders are still the sort of people who order a meal..you total it for them and they suddenly decide they just want a cheeseburger :confused:

At my store it is very strict that no one uses anyone elses till unless it is a new starter and even then you are fully responsible. If you need to change notes with someone else then both people must be present at the exchange and count how much they are being given. This prevents people from passing on the blame I guess.

I have to admit I have never had someone take off their whole meal for just a cheeseburger though :P I must be lucky in that sense!
Reply 1799
Original post by FluffyLion
I work for a supermarket, so excuse me if I'm wrong, but if you changed the black coffee to a latte by adding a sweet chilli dip, would your stock levels not be wrong? Like even when we have a bag of peppers, which are the same price, we should press the button for each individual colour.

In my store we work out how much stock we have by how many boxes of something we have left. It does get counted on the tills though but that is for managers and I don't think it affects anything (at least not with me!) whereas if I void it off I do run the risk of getting in trouble, also means I have to find a manager when the store is busy that extra 2 minutes could be an extra £5 in my till!

Latest

Trending

Trending