The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

:love: CGP :love:

I mainly used CGP (exam board specific- both OCR) for Biology and Chemistry AS and found them really useful- they seemed to cover the specification pretty well and they explain things really well. I mainly used CGP to get me to completely understand things and then the OCR endorsed textbook to go into a bit more depth, but tbh for most of the questions the info you need to answer it could be found in CGP :smile:
Reply 41
DJkG.1
All I used to get 90/90 in my first biology AS unit was the specification, the CGP guide and where I was a little unsure, wikipedia / an old-fashioned textbook.

To be fair, I did have a lot of relevant knowledge prior to studying for the exam but most of the exam-specific knowledge I gained from the CGP guide. Though I know I could not have got the same mark for chemistry with the CGP guide as it wasn't as good.

What's wrong with Amazon?! Oh, and your sig is quite unfair, spelling 'grammer' when referring to English grammer like that is an acceptable spelling, contrary to much popular belief. (Please, please do not reply with a wikipedia article URL - I can see one coming).

It's just that they were expensive from amazon.

And can you prove your point please?
Reply 42
DJkG.1
All I used to get 90/90 in my first biology AS unit was the specification, the CGP guide and where I was a little unsure, wikipedia / an old-fashioned textbook.

To be fair, I did have a lot of relevant knowledge prior to studying for the exam but most of the exam-specific knowledge I gained from the CGP guide. Though I know I could not have got the same mark for chemistry with the CGP guide as it wasn't as good.

What's wrong with Amazon?! Oh, and your sig is quite unfair, spelling 'grammer' when referring to English grammer like that is an acceptable spelling, contrary to much popular belief. (Please, please do not reply with a wikipedia article URL - I can see one coming).

Hi, I was wondering what exam board you did for biology and chemistry?

Also, thanks to all those who posted so far :smile: very helpful
Reply 43
Princestia
Hi, I was wondering what exam board you did for biology and chemistry?

Also, thanks to all those who posted so far :smile: very helpful

OCR for both; chemistry was the Salters option. :wink:
Reply 44
I know someone who got straights As in the January modules for all science and maths and he used CGP, but that wasn't all he used. Also used subject specific AS level text books.
Our class is on edexcel exam board AS CHEMISTRY . My friend was only reading CGP AS Chemisry revision guide he didn't even bother to buy a textbook for syllabus and I did most of my revision from the actual textbook. well result is he got 95% for his exam =P and I have got 71%. However his actual chemistry knowledge doesn't extend further that the revision guide but as you can see results don't lie Revision guide alone will do the trick. (2010 Jan exam Unit 1 ) (btw added revision guide to my textbook/flashcards/notebook revision ^^ not gonna fail miserably again on resit)
I only used a CGP revision guide for OCR Biology (it was the OCR specific one) F212 module in January and got an A :h:

Just praying that this method will work for June modules.

Also - I found the AQA CGP Chemistry one not as effective. And the CGP OCR Biology book is quite skimpy for the F212 module - it misses out quite a lot of detail. I'd recommend using the textbook too...
For gcse's - lifesaver
for Alevels- waste of trees

Latest