The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

FYI: New KEYCOM Internet/Phone/TV Service (starting Sept. 2009)

From September 2009 residents in Accommodation Services properties will be provided with internet and telephony services by Keycom Plc. These services include a fast broadband internet connection, a VOIP telephone and in some locations IPTV internet television will be available. The exact provision provided varies between properties.

Internet

* The standard broadband internet download speed for the 2009/10 academic year is 8Mbps. This standard service is included in your rent.
* Provision of internet to residential rooms is by a wall data port. A standard RJ45 ethernet cable will be provided. Replacement cables will be available at a small charge.
* Multiple devices may be connected to the network port in your room, including games consoles and routers.
* In all properties there will be the option to upgrade to higher broadband speeds of 12 Mbps and 16 Mbps.
* These upgraded internet packages are available at additional cost paid directly to Keycom.
* Wireless internet will be available in public areas within most self-catered accommodation and all catered accommodation.
* Where wireless internet is available it is supplementary service and is not intended to cover bedrooms.

Telephony

* A VOIP telephone will be provided as standard in each room. This will have a direct dial (0131) number.
* Calls between all Accommodation Services rooms will be free.
* UK and international calls are charged for.
* A voicemail service is provided as standard.
* The telephone service is pay-as-you-go. You can top up your account using your debit or credit card.
* Top-up vouchers may also be used and will be available for sale from Pollock Halls of Residence reception centre.
* Vouchers will be available in values of £2.00 only.
* Paying by account will give access to lower tarrifs than vouchers.

Television network

* IPTV is an optional Keycom service which allows you to view streamed television and video content on your computer.
* IPTV is only available at Pollock Halls of Residence.
* A UK television licence is required to use this service.
* IPTV is available at additional cost paid directly to Keycom.

Sources: http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/current-students/facilities/it-coms/keycom/services
[INDENT]http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/accommodation-services/current-students/facilities/it-coms[/INDENT]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
8mb? Is that not a bit rubbish for a uni network? Looks good how they are supporting multiple connections and games consoles though.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Rian1988
8mb? Is that not a bit rubbish for a uni network? Looks good how they are supporting multiple connections and games consoles though.

Hmmm, I'm not sure. It's not bad per say. If you remember my Resnet thread it seems like people were getting just over 8 on the old system according to speed tests. I guess we will just have to wait and see what the results are with the new system in September. I'm hoping that it will be more reliable than Resnet though. Looks like that was a big problem.

And as for supporting multiple devices, that make me quite happy as I won't have to go to the trouble of setting all of my things to the same MAC :smile:
Reply 3
Your keycom service sounds so much better than what keycom gave us at Huddersfield
That sounds alright tbh. :smile:
Wilwy I read somewhere that there is a vague sort of limit on how much you can download because of network traffic,does this still apply for the New keycom?
Reply 6
student of the game
Wilwy I read somewhere that there is a vague sort of limit on how much you can download because of network traffic,does this still apply for the New keycom?

I'm not sure if there will be any kind of limiting used on the new system. From what I've heard there wasn't any on the old Resnet. I have a hunch that there might be with the Keycom, given some of the published details of the service, but it's just a hunch. We will have to wait until September to see I guess.
Reply 7
I read this as I was accepting my accommidation offer... anyone wanna bet it'll break horribly when they try to switch it all on? :rolleyes:
Komiyan
I read this as I was accepting my accommidation offer... anyone wanna bet it'll break horribly when they try to switch it all on? :rolleyes:

unless some muppet plugs a RJ45 cable up where the sun dont shine.lmao
Noticed your also studying psychology.So if by any chance i happen to meet u admist the 400 1st year id catch u up on that bet.
Reply 9
student of the game
unless some muppet plugs a RJ45 cable up where the sun dont shine.lmao
Noticed your also studying psychology.So if by any chance i happen to meet u admist the 400 1st year id catch u up on that bet.

I'll be sure to yell "I totally called it!" in the first psychology lecture if it does break down :wink:
Reply 10
Rian1988

It is horrific for a uni network.
In the original resnet post, my speed test did show 8mbps down, but that was at 5.30 when everyone is coming in and watching tvcatchup - quite a lot of bandwidth used then!
Later on, and especially at night, I had it up to about 40mbps which was a bloody joy for downloads and torrents. It's a real shame they've decided to install this new system.

You were 'supposedly' able to get round the MAC restriction by plugging in a wireless router and setting its MAC to the one you registered with. My 'friend' used that for most of the year (after hiding the SSID so no snooping IT staff or other students would spot it blatantly) and had two laptops and an xbox running through it beautifully.

Hard times...
Grum Fox
It is horrific for a uni network.
In the original resnet post, my speed test did show 8mbps down, but that was at 5.30 when everyone is coming in and watching tvcatchup - quite a lot of bandwidth used then!
Later on, and especially at night, I had it up to about 40mbps which was a bloody joy for downloads and torrents. It's a real shame they've decided to install this new system.

You were 'supposedly' able to get round the MAC restriction by plugging in a wireless router and setting its MAC to the one you registered with. My 'friend' used that for most of the year (after hiding the SSID so no snooping IT staff or other students would spot it blatantly) and had two laptops and an xbox running through it beautifully.

Hard times...

how much did you download per day roughly?
Reply 12
I'd probably average it out over the year to a couple of gigs a day downstream, mostly down to streaming video and other methods of downloading. Some days off I did exceed about 10gigs though, but never had a peep of complaint from anyone.

I can't tell you how it'll be this year as it's a new provider, and from what I've heard it's not going to be too pleasant under this new system.
Reply 13
Another point to remember is that the vast majority of people will be using itunes, so you'll be able to download the songs from other users on the lan without using up too much external bandwidth.
Reply 14
So you think that the Keycom Service is also just a normal LAN and we will be able to access the files of other computers if they have their File Sharing enabled?
I didn't even know that iTunes has that function on its own :biggrin:
Reply 15
Well I can't see them fundamentally changing the network architecture, but there is always the chance and I don't know how the new wireless service will be integrated.
iTunes doesn't let you download on its own, you can only play the tunes, but if you google hard enough, it's more than possible to download the tunes as you play them, just like 'myTunes'.
Eeep. Good luck with Keycom. We haven't had a lot of luck.
http://www.ednet-fv.ed.ac.uk/pdfs/EdNet-FV_AUP_FUP_2008.pdf

click the link,is this the one?

i read something about acceptable usage 250 mb a day.i hope its not that crap.
Reply 18
Nope, thats ednet. We're going to get Keycom and ednet will be discontinued.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8219652.stm

some things i hate about the internet is UK.nevermind a few billion people downloading stuff with ease in asia and europe.-_-

Latest

Trending

Trending