The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There are some racists, yes, but then I expect you get them in every country. The majority of people are quite friendly and will actually get to know people first, rather than judging them based on where they come from. I have a few black friends in sixth form, from Zimbabwe, and none of them have experienced any racism. The only reason I can think of that your friend might have said that is because immigration is quite a hot topic in the news at the moment, and there is some anger over the number of foreigners. You should be fine though. Hope you like England! :smile:
Reply 2
You will be alright, don't worry. People here like to meet other people who have a different background, nationality, and stuff like that.
I doubt it, I'm English/Iranian/Russian/French myself, and not really experienced any racism.
Although saying that, most racism is directed at Asian people I would say.

It depends where you're going though, to some extent.
Jenni_Kitten
I doubt it, I'm English/Iranian/Russian/French myself, and not really experienced any racism.
Although saying that, most racism is directed at Asian people I would say.

It depends where you're going though, to some extent.

That's true. Leafy green suburban areas tend to be more upset at foreigners moving in, so you might experience some problems there, whereas if you're going to a multicultural city like London, Birmigham or Leicester, you'll fit in fine.
Reply 5
you'll be fine dont worry
Reply 6
where abouts is the boarding school?
Some people maybe, but even if they were, they just wont speak to you rather than abuse you in anyway, as society in general doesnt tolerate racism, with loads of Race laws protecting you in work for example.
Reply 8
Intelligent foreigners are generally accepted, especially those with money. Money makes a big difference.
Reply 9
As somebody said, in an urban area, especially somewhere like London, Leeds etc. the huge numbers of non-white people mean there is basically no racism, of course there is a LOT of tension between groups of young people of different races, but the kind of thing that only affects the people involved, i'd say general racism is fairly low.

The further you move from the city the more you hear of racism, i know people who live in small towns/villages outside Oxford and apparently there is a lot of racism.
Reply 10
hey guyz,
thanks 4 all ur opinions. the boarding skl im going 2 is in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Don't know if any of you guys r frm there.
as sum1 said, y r ppl in england particularly racist 2 asians?
thnx
xxx
Wycombe Abbey, is it?
I think at most boarding schools there are at least a few overseas students (quite a few) and I've never heard anything negative happening, so I guess it'd be okay. I've never really encountered/observed much racism in the UK. Where are you from?
Reply 12
I moved to England from Kenya in 1996, to a medium-sized town in Wiltshire, which was about 98% white. The sort of town which has quite a few boarding schools- there's money there, you know?

It wasn't so much racism, as people not really knowing what to make of me, or thinking that I couldn't speak English. But everyone was basically nice. Since then I've only experienced about 4 encounters with racism and while I hate to generalise, they were all from the 'working class', if you know what I mean. I know black and asian people in the boarding schools where I live have no problems fitting in and making friends... everyone has a couple of racism stories to tell, but nothing that has really scared or traumatised them.
Alot of the racism in England is not up front. But alot of people have racial stereotypes ...
Griefia
hey guyz,
thanks 4 all ur opinions. the boarding skl im going 2 is in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. Don't know if any of you guys r frm there.
as sum1 said, y r ppl in england particularly racist 2 asians?
thnx
xxx

Hey, I live in Wycombe. :biggrin: I take it you're wanting to go to Wycombe Abbey, right?
Wycombe is quite a nice area..I dunno though..the school I go to is also all girls and some girls can be pretty 'discriminate' against people..but I dunno. As a whole, Wycombe is OK. I wouldn't say its got no rascism in it, because it has. You just gotta be careful. But its okay.
Reply 15
i am at wycombe abbey myself
i don't think you will be subjected to racism as there are a lot of overseas students there - because of this people's minds are broadened and they won't be prejudiced or see you as 'different'
which year will you be coming into?
Mata
I moved to England from Kenya in 1996, to a medium-sized town in Wiltshire, which was about 98% white. The sort of town which has quite a few boarding schools- there's money there, you know?

It wasn't so much racism, as people not really knowing what to make of me, or thinking that I couldn't speak English. But everyone was basically nice. Since then I've only experienced about 4 encounters with racism and while I hate to generalise, they were all from the 'working class', if you know what I mean. I know black and asian people in the boarding schools where I live have no problems fitting in and making friends... everyone has a couple of racism stories to tell, but nothing that has really scared or traumatised them.

From what I've encountered the working classes are the least likely to be racist (not that I like to generalise, of course). The middle classes, particularly those in archaic institutions like public/boarding schools, might not say offensive remarks to your face; that's not etiquette. They are more likely to hold outdated views, which may manifest itself in less obvious ways. Frankly, I'd rather have someone shouting obscenities (not that I think most working class people do this; generalisation is a crude thing) at me than hide their distaste for when they're amongst other company. At least you know where you stand with the former.
Reply 17
kellywood_5
That's true. Leafy green suburban areas tend to be more upset at foreigners moving in, so you might experience some problems there, whereas if you're going to a multicultural city like London, Birmigham or Leicester, you'll fit in fine.

this is what most people think, i've experienced otherwise though, having lived in leafy green suburbs all my life. the thing with major cities is that, due to the size of the ethnic population (i.e large) there will be a significant number of people who resent their prescence. in the suburbs, the only experience of foreigners they will get are the nice people running the restaurant or the GP down the road. so people tend to be a little more blase about it on the whole.

of course depends on the area/what sort of neighbours you have etc. seeing as you are going to a boarding school griefia, and from what wastudent says, you'll be fine. even later on if you go into higher education in this country, it'll be fine. people usually only hear about the race riots and the immigration issues- with the former, it's just as much the fault of the minorities as well!
Reply 18
Hi, i think that Asians are targeted more as they stand out more in comparison to White British people which makes them more of a direct target of racism. It's hard to distinguish another race if their 'image' 'blends' in with the crowd.

It's a shame that racism still occurs in the world, but there isn't much that can be done. I have a black and white stand up speak up wristband as i truely support the campaign however it has become some sort of fashion accessory rather than supporting a certain cause.

P.s...how do you quote ?! :confused:
Reply 19
how do you mean Asians stand out more? Afro-Carribean people, Chinese people, Hispanic people etc are more similar to White British people than Asians?! i don't see how you can justify that

Latest

Trending

Trending