The Student Room Group

MSc International Technology Management @Warwick Uni, is this a good uni?

hi!

I am thinking to apply to the International Technology Management (INT) course at Warwick University. Is it a good university?Is it wellknown in the UK and outside the UK?

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/education/wmgmasters/courses/itm/

What exactly is Warwick Manufacturing Group? Any benefits in real life or is it just bogus marketing to attract students?

I am at the moment studying my Bachelor of Science in IT and majoring in Internetworking&applications at UTS in Australia. The major is pretty technical but I wish to have a serious leader role in the future for a big organisation managing technology or being involved in the development of products.
Reply 1
Warwick is a solid top 6 uni in the UK. period.
Average. Goodish uni but not well-known, inside or outside of the UK.
Reply 3
^ Let me correct that a bit.

Warwick is probably not that well known amongst the illiterate people. But amongst the educated ones and the wealthy class, it is a highly respected university and one of only 5 UK unis that has never been ranked outside of the top 10 since the inception of national (UK-wide) league tables. Top employers love Warwick grads and pay them very, very well. A survey which came out last year showed that Warwick grads are the 3rd highest earners in the UK. I think that matters more than what the illiterate people think about Warwick.
Reply 4
From what I gather, Warwick is a well respected university. Can't be sure though I haven't even started the sixth form yet!
ILIGAN
^ Let me correct that a bit.

Warwick is probably not that well known amongst the illiterate people. But amongst the educated ones and the wealthy class, it is a highly respected university and one of only 5 UK unis that has never been ranked outside of the top 10 since the inception of national (UK-wide) league tables. Top employers love Warwick grads and pay them very, very well. A survey which came out last year showed that Warwick grads are the 3rd highest earners in the UK. I think that matters more than what the illiterate people think about Warwick.

It may be respected amongst the wealthy class, but most good uni's are. Also your use of the world illiterate it a bit sketchy. It is certainly not as well respected as Bristol, Durham or Edinburgh amongst those elite groups. This is because all the top public schools send only a few students there compared to the above, as well as places like Nottingham, London, St Andrew's, e.t.c. This is because Warwick is not very traditional and seen as a new and not 'posh' university. Dont get me wrong it is very very good, but just not as amazing as you are making out.

To say that it is without doubt top 6 is a bit hit and miss. It may have slightly better research than the likes of Bristol or Durham, but it does not really stand out as better that much amongst those two in particular. In the UK there is a definitive G5 and then a group of so called 'top 10's' of which Warwick is definately part (but not really better than). It is abit like saying Columbia or Penn are better than Cornell and Dartmouth in the ivy league. The aformentioned are all about the same and not as good as HYP or MIT.

What you said about the top 3 earners is rubbish BTW. Warwick came in the top 3 for most targeted by employers, not earnings. It was a yearly high fliers survey and it came in the top 8 with the likes of Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Oxbridge, London, e.t.c. Warwick grads are obviously highly respeted because it is a top uni, but traditionally not more so than the above mentioned (except for IB). In fact Nottingham came third the year before in that survey and Warwick was like 6th (showing these top places all switch round).

In short Warwick is very very good, but not as stand alone brilliant as you make out, in the way Oxbridge and LSE is in this country. Hell i got into Warwick for both undergrad and postgrad and never felt it had that much edge and thats why i rejected them (although it is improving fast)
Reply 6
Joint top 5 with UCL. Warwick always gets a lot of graduates into the most competitive city careers. It offers far better prospects than Durham/Bristol that’s for sure. The thing with Warwick is that it always seems to be getting better and better, and it is very well connected with all the best and most competitive employers.
ILIGAN
A survey which came out last year showed that Warwick grads are the 3rd highest earners in the UK.

Would you mind linking me to that?

I read somewhere that Warwick grads earn less than those from London South Bank.
Reply 8
AfghanistanBananistan
It may be respected amongst the wealthy class, but most good uni's are. Also your use of the world illiterate it a bit sketchy. It is certainly not as well respected as Bristol, Durham or Edinburgh amongst those elite groups. This is because all the top public schools send only a few students there compared to the above, as well as places like Nottingham, London, St Andrew's, e.t.c. This is because Warwick is not very traditional and seen as a new and not 'posh' university. Dont get me wrong it is very very good, but just not as amazing as you are making out.

To say that it is without doubt top 6 is a bit hit and miss. It may have slightly better research than the likes of Bristol or Durham, but it does not really stand out as better that much amongst those two in particular. In the UK there is a definitive G5 and then a group of so called 'top 10's' of which Warwick is definitely part (but not really better than). It is abit like saying Columbia or Penn are better than Cornell and Dartmouth in the ivy league. The aformentioned are all about the same and not as good as HYP or MIT.

What you said about the top 3 earners is rubbish BTW. Warwick came in the top 3 for most targeted by employers, not earnings. It was a yearly high fliers survey and it came in the top 8 with the likes of Bristol, Durham, Nottingham, Oxbridge, London, e.t.c. Warwick grads are obviously highly respeted because it is a top uni, but traditionally not more so than the above mentioned (except for IB). In fact Nottingham came third the year before in that survey and Warwick was like 6th (showing these top places all switch round).

In short Warwick is very very good, but not as stand alone brilliant as you make out, in the way Oxbridge and LSE is in this country. Hell i got into Warwick for both undergrad and postgrad and never felt it had that much edge and thats why i rejected them (although it is improving fast)

If there's rubbish here it's you. Sorry that you made me say that. You're not good enough to get into Warwick. You said that yourself a long time ago. You're only good as your baloney.
Reply 9
Easywellyes
Would you mind linking me to that?

I read somewhere that Warwick grads earn less than those from London South Bank.

I don't have the link to it now, but it was posted on here a couple of months ago where LSE and UCL topped the survey with Warwick, Imperial, Oxbridge followed closely.

Don't worry; I'll post the link to it as soon as I find it. Nonetheless, I'm quite positive that --in general--Warwick grads are more favored than either Edinburgh or Bristol grads let alone York or Nottingham grads.
ILIGAN
If there's rubbish here it's you. Sorry that you made me say that. You're not good enough to get into Warwick. You said that yourself a long time ago. You're only good as your baloney.

What the hell are you talking about, i got into Warwick for undergrad (politics), as well as Bristol and York, and got into WBS in December. Check my previous posts if you dont believe me whre i have said this numerous times. Dont just spurt out rubbish that i wasnt good enough, let alone me saying that when i never did. I have always admitted that Warwick now has a better rep than Nottingham (where i went), although the gap was mariginal to nonexistant when i accepted it, and i never liked the place so never wanted to go there. Likewise for postgrad where i chose the LSE over it (which is better).

In fact, i cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would want to go to a uni in the middle of nowhere that looks like an industrial estate/sixth form college. Esp when they have an offer from Bristol, Durham, Edinburgh, e.t.c which genuinely offer excitement/nice surroundings and history for 3 years.

Look i never said Warwick was never great, just not as good as you say it is (ie better than ever other top 10), and when looking at the number of people who disagree with many of your posts on here about warwick im not the only one.

I have never understood your fetish with warwick when you apparantly only went there for a bit from stanford. We are all allowed an opinion, and all i way saying is that as someone who went to an elite public school (ie mix with those types) you are wrong to simply say that amongst the elite classes warwick is so well repsected ahead of other, dare i say, 'top 10's' like Bristol when it is not. Are you from this background and therefore have any idea - NO.

Look at the facts, according to rankings Warwick has no better grad prospects, in fact Bristol has alot better. It only has an edge in IB. In fact Nottingham had more grads in the big 4 firms last year than any other - therefore explain that. In short, all the top uni's you and i have mentioned are all recognised amongst employers, who would not favour one over the other because that would be stupid. Only Oxbridge LSE and Imperial have the advantage that comes simply from brand name.
Reply 11
not placing warwick above or below any other uni here but....
employers friggin love warwick grads
bain, bcg AND mckinsey were on campus in the year 08-09 (this is enough to qualify warwick as elite IMO)
warwick also definitely attracts IBs as stated in the posts above
WMG has awesome industry links...the funding and sponsors they have are mind boggling (check out some of the new buildings exclusively for WMG)
WBS is most definitely a brand name whether the university is considered to have one or not
i don't know about 'elite classes' respecting warwick (it shouldn't matter anyway) but employers sure as hell do
ILIGAN
I don't have the link to it now, but it was posted on here a couple of months ago where LSE and UCL topped the survey with Warwick, Imperial, Oxbridge followed closely.

Don't worry; I'll post the link to it as soon as I find it. Nonetheless, I'm quite positive that --in general--Warwick grads are more favored than either Edinburgh or Bristol grads let alone York or Nottingham grads.

Here's a link to a Times article with graduate starting salaries.

Warwick grads are ranked 10th.

Latest

Trending

Trending